PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changes Made Easy

crofts
19th November 2006, 02:27
There was recent, limited discussion, on using suction pumps. I will certainly use this for intermediate changes but have to use independant for yearly to get stamps in service record for warranty.
It offers a completely clean and quick way & with frequent changes it matters little if small amount left. (no jacking, undertray, laying in road etc)
Best Buy in Auto Express was pump from Screwfix at £39.99 + VAT & P&P.
This I am sure is unbranded pump from PELA. The original Pela Oil Extractor (6 litre) can be obtained from: Nauticalia for £32.45 delivered. Tel:0870 905 5090
Email: [email protected]

Simon
19th November 2006, 18:17
This sounds very interesting.

I too would change my own oil if it weren't for that pesky 'jacking up the car on a sloping drivway could lead to serious damge' issue. This vacuum pump would allow me to change my oil every now and then. Leaving (as you say) one of the changes for the dealer service.

Think I might be adding this to the old xmas list... :lol:

REMF
19th November 2006, 18:23
Do you need to remove the whole undertray to get to the drain plug, or is there a small panel to make it easier?

If you need to remove the whole tray, then this looks much easier

Simon
19th November 2006, 18:27
Yes, I'm affraid its undertray-off time! :(

Check out the clubs pdf for full info...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/datasheets/tid022.pdf
(reduntant link)

crofts
20th November 2006, 01:28
Do you need to remove the whole undertray to get to the drain plug, or is there a small panel to make it easier?

If you need to remove the whole tray, then this looks much easier

Yes. This is what makes a suction pump so attractive, No jacking up, no undertray to remove, no lying on your back, no oil all down your arms & on the floor/drive, no stripping sump plug threads. It really is a clean system with a spout on the collector to pour into a container for disposal. You can change the oil right outside the house, in the road if need be):)
The Pela pump comes with a long probe for the dipstick hole so nothing more required. (Google Pela and have a look at their selection, widely used for marine use where sump/plug is often inaccessable )
Could use it to suck out 'muck' in washer resevoir, brake fluid, coolant etc.(having cleaned the probe of course !) AND maybe plenum chamber in an emergency:eek:

Simon
20th November 2006, 08:19
This pump's multi-use does certainly hold many attractions for me as well.

It's now officially on my xmas list so we'll have to wait an see what santa (aka swmbo) brings....

Hawkeye
20th November 2006, 08:32
Hi. Just been reading about the vacuum pump and realised that I haven’t got an under tray fitted on my 75 Conn petrol face lift 04 model fitted. Should one be fitted? Thanks for any info. Kev

Nomis
20th November 2006, 09:42
Hi. Just been reading about the vacuum pump and realised that I haven’t got an under tray fitted on my 75 Conn petrol face lift 04 model fitted. Should one be fitted? Thanks for any info. Kev

I just sold the same car and they did not come as standard on that age and model.

I would also be interested in the pump as it would make it easy. Though the undertray removal is not hard as jacking onto stands is not either. Though the getting oil every where bit is correct. Only thing that bothers me is the build up of gunk right at the bottom that this will miss. But if you run the engine warm first it may get most of it. I dont take mine in for a dealer service so would have to do it the propper way from time to time.

Simon.

Lovel
20th November 2006, 10:47
There was recent, limited discussion, on using suction pumps. I will certainly use this for intermediate changes but have to use independant for yearly to get stamps in service record for warranty.
It offers a completely clean and quick way & with frequent changes it matters little if small amount left. (no jacking, undertray, laying in road etc)
Best Buy in Auto Express was pump from Screwfix at £39.99 + VAT & P&P.
This I am sure is unbranded pump from PELA. The original Pela Oil Extractor (6 litre) can be obtained from: Nauticalia for £32.45 delivered. Tel:0870 905 5090
Email: [email protected]

I agree with your theories on the use of this 6lt vaccum pump during intermediate servicing between main dealer services, but I would like to know how much oil you actually got out in total ? The M74 engine has potentially 6.8lts capacity.

crofts
21st November 2006, 21:09
I agree with your theories on the use of this 6lt vaccum pump during intermediate servicing between main dealer services, but I would like to know how much oil you actually got out in total ? The M74 engine has potentially 6.8lts capacity.

I think it was simonarius that said he sucks out 4/5 litres then puts it back in to pull out the rest. It's very quick & easy ! (and the container is marked in litres)

Lovel
22nd November 2006, 07:20
I think it was simonarius that said he sucks out 4/5 litres then puts it back in to pull out the rest. It's very quick & easy ! (and the container is marked in litres)

Yes that fine a second suction will do the trick, but what quantity in total can we expect to remove from the engine. Would it be possible to get out >6Lts? The more you get out the less dirty oil going around and mixing with new.

Paranoid Carlos
26th July 2007, 18:36
Dropped my oil today with the suction pump, took the sump plug out after sucking the last dregs out (lots of slurping for about 5 minutes)
About 4 drops came out a couple of seconds apart, very impressed :lol:
Only hassle is emptying container after a couple of litres to get all 6.8 out.

Couldn't resist taking plug out to have a look, and prove if it got it all out:o

Also sucked a litre or so of water out of the front bulkhead, stuck the thin tube down by the servo, worked a treat. My drains are clear but I hadn't moved since the latest deluge:(

salop75
27th July 2007, 10:53
Could this be used to drain/suck the auto box fluid?

Z135T
27th July 2007, 18:32
Also sucked a litre or so of water out of the front bulkhead, stuck the thin tube down by the servo, worked a treat. My drains are clear but I hadn't moved since the latest deluge:(

brill idea never thought of that especially for the plens

Keith O
27th July 2007, 19:57
Please forgive the possibly daft question but what about the filter change?

Does the suction remove most of the oil in the filter too and make that a cleanish job to change?

Thanks

Keith.

Paranoid Carlos
27th July 2007, 20:26
Well I have had my CDT a little over 18 months and changed the oil filter 4 times, my tip is to open the filter cover slowly give it a couple of turns and give it 5 minutes for the oil to drain out, lift out the filter and wait for the oil to drain out (30 seconds max) that way it doesn't drip over the alternator.

Certainly is no mess with the suction method, again my only tip is to give it a few more pumps when it appears to have finished sucking :)

Hope this helps.
I have done 3 services now with the suction pump, Xantia td, Citroen c3, rover 75 and I am amazed how much oil it gets out, If the car is neglected I wonder if it would get sludge out but I would sump dump those anyway

Ps Make yourself a coffee while it pumps out and the filter drains, by the time you've blew on it it's done.

T-Cut
28th July 2007, 10:24
Does the suction remove most of the oil in the filter too and make that a cleanish job to change?

There's no differerence between the two methods as far as the filter is concerned.

TC

lwindridge
28th July 2007, 11:44
Well I've just bought a 6L one so I'll give it a go!

I tend to do a fair few oil changes (running a car business and owning 3 cars!) so this could be an absolute godsend for me!

Keith O
28th July 2007, 15:31
Thanks Carlos and TC

Thats useful, perhaps I should have made it clear that I was thinking of my vertically mounted oil filters under my 2.0KV6 and my harder working Rover 25 2.0 Turbo Diesel.

Looks like a useful piece of kit for someone who changes oil 4 times per year....

Keith.

sf8752
28th July 2007, 15:55
where did you get the pump from
steve.

Nomis
28th July 2007, 16:06
where did you get the pump from
steve.

I ordered one from these yesterday, should be here monday. £34.90 inc delivery.

http://www.seamarknunn.com/

Simon.

Paranoid Carlos
28th July 2007, 17:32
Wouldn't be without mine now.

Going to try and find a way of sucking my coolant out, without it going everywhere when I pull the bottom hose off.