PDA

View Full Version : New DD fitted at last but a couple of issues!

petergw60
22nd April 2011, 19:58
Have at last finished the install of my nice new DD. Have hit a few problems along the way, most of which are now sorted.
My car is an early type which had hi-line system fitted. The aerial amp for the radio is of the diversity type. I found that the signal on its own from the amp did not work very well with the DD unit - lots of noise and for the local station had to turn off stereo function. Even then at times it would loose the station and hunt. I built a 22dB amp which looked like it was going to help (unfortuately the transistor in the amp died!) I made a second amp and ordered a replacement transistor - reason being it looked like the best way to get TMC and a decent radio signal is to use two. Now have two amps working and get much better radio reception and TMC (but only on IGO8 - Tony, how can I sort out Primo, don't have dropbox set up?).
Recommend that two amps are used if you have the older diversity system, seems to work a lot better, tried as per Marks setup but could not get a decent signal for both.
Have managed to re-use the existing TV aerial which seems to give reasonable results. If you want SMB type plugs/sockets, they are available from CPC - used one to extend the aerial from the boot so as not to have to cut off any original terminals.
Fitted a wired reversing camera which at first appeared not to work - but does now (no idea why). Sean, please respond to my PM!
On Igo8 the car icon seems to have disappeared, just a very small dot (was a very nice looking rear end for the 75). How can I get this back. Also, help files and numerous other items do not work coming up with error messages of not being able to find files.
How can I adjust the RDS volume, have not found a setting for this so far? It comes on far too loud.
How can I change the startup screen when you first turn on the ignition. At present it comes up with an MG logo - not a real problem but as my car is a Rover I would like to change this to be more appropriate!
I would just like to say a big thank you to all the guys who have taken the trouble to provide pictures and instructions on fitting the DD - very much appreciated as it would have taken me a lot longer to sort out otherwise!
Peter

HarryM1BYT
23rd April 2011, 21:53
QUOTE=petergw60

The aerial amp for the radio is of the diversity type. I found that the signal on its own from the amp did not work very well with the DD unit - lots of noise and for the local station had to turn off stereo function.

Mine is the none diversity type and I did have concerns that the diversity type might be problematical with the DD. Some say that their DD works fine with the diversity antenna system. One problem I had, which caused me a lot of head scratching, was the adaptor from ISO antenna plug to DIN - where it originally plugged into the Hi-Line receiver was ISO and needed an adaptor to get it to the DIN type of the DD.

I had variable radio reception, which I eventually traced to the adaptor. cutting the ISO plug off and fitting a DIN plug in its place completely fixed my issues.

Even then at times it would loose the station and hunt. I built a 22dB amp which looked like it was going to help (unfortuately the transistor in the amp died!) I made a second amp and ordered a replacement transistor - reason being it looked like the best way to get TMC and a decent radio signal is to use two.

An amplifier, feeding an amplifier is not a good way to do it - if that is what you were suggesting. See if you can get just the radio working first, from the original antenna and amp, then use a separate amp, either with a separate antenna or tapped onto the Rover antenna as some have done - for the TMC.

Now have two amps working and get much better radio reception and TMC (but only on IGO8 - Tony, how can I sort out Primo, don't have dropbox set up?).

TMC works fine with the latest version of Primo, but you need to install Dropbox to get it. Its free...

Recommend that two amps are used if you have the older diversity system, seems to work a lot better, tried as per Marks setup but could not get a decent signal for both.

As already suggested, perhaps the ISO to DIN adaptor at fault.

On Igo8 the car icon seems to have disappeared, just a very small dot (was a very nice looking rear end for the 75). How can I get this back.

The (type of) car icon is in the settings.

Also, help files and numerous other items do not work coming up with error messages of not being able to find files.

Same here, I think some files had to be deleted to save on space.

How can I change the startup screen when you first turn on the ignition. At present it comes up with an MG logo - not a real problem but as my car is a Rover I would like to change this to be more appropriate!

Several startup logos were offered on the site. Just right click on the one you want and save it to an SD card. The card then goes into your DD and a sequence of button pushes (cannot remember) loads the logo into the DD.

petergw60
24th April 2011, 16:52
QUOTE=petergw60

The aerial amp for the radio is of the diversity type. I found that the signal on its own from the amp did not work very well with the DD unit - lots of noise and for the local station had to turn off stereo function.

Mine is the none diversity type and I did have concerns that the diversity type might be problematical with the DD. Some say that their DD works fine with the diversity antenna system. One problem I had, which caused me a lot of head scratching, was the adaptor from ISO antenna plug to DIN - where it originally plugged into the Hi-Line receiver was ISO and needed an adaptor to get it to the DIN type of the DD.

I had variable radio reception, which I eventually traced to the adaptor. cutting the ISO plug off and fitting a DIN plug in its place completely fixed my issues.
Thanks Harry for the reply.
Will double check the connection but believe it is OK. Will have to strip out the boot coverings again!

Even then at times it would loose the station and hunt. I built a 22dB amp which looked like it was going to help (unfortuately the transistor in the amp died!) I made a second amp and ordered a replacement transistor - reason being it looked like the best way to get TMC and a decent radio signal is to use two.

An amplifier, feeding an amplifier is not a good way to do it - if that is what you were suggesting. See if you can get just the radio working first, from the original antenna and amp, then use a separate amp, either with a separate antenna or tapped onto the Rover antenna as some have done - for the TMC.
I got the radio working from just the original aerial (linked back from the boot to the front). Could get TMC to work (using the same feed i.e. no radio). When I tried linking from before the aerial amp as per Marks setup, it cut the signal to the radio and was not strong enough for TMC to work with the radio. It is about this time that the new aerial amp blew its transistor (I think). Anyway, I decided to survive with just the radio until I could sort it.
I now have the aerial feed from the boot to the front which then splits into two and feeds a separate aerial amp to the radio and TMC. Now have Both TMC and reasonable radio reception. Will tell more during the week when travelling around!

Now have two amps working and get much better radio reception and TMC (but only on IGO8 - Tony, how can I sort out Primo, don't have dropbox set up?).

TMC works fine with the latest version of Primo, but you need to install Dropbox to get it. Its free...
Thanks. Do I need to be invited to join a particular dropbox? Will set it up anyway!

As already suggested, perhaps the ISO to DIN adaptor at fault.

On Igo8 the car icon seems to have disappeared, just a very small dot (was a very nice looking rear end for the 75). How can I get this back.

The (type of) car icon is in the settings.
Will have to have another search!

Also, help files and numerous other items do not work coming up with error messages of not being able to find files.

Same here, I think some files had to be deleted to save on space.
A pity but at least I know its not me thats knackered it!

Several startup logos were offered on the site. Just right click on the one you want and save it to an SD card. The card then goes into your DD and a sequence of button pushes (cannot remember) loads the logo into the DD.
Thanks for that, will have a go when I can find another SD card!