PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav

oakridge
29th July 2007, 19:48
Just returned from France, sigh. While there we needed to travel 30 miles along unfamiliar country roads so a freind let us borrow his TomTom One GL - we were very impressed. SWMBO (and Financial Department) has always been dead against them but now she is sold. It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to see maps but especially in bright light so we need some advice.

We need a large screen and clear speech as well as street level maps of Europe. As well as the TomTom we have looked at products by Garmin, Navman and Sony who all have screens of 4.3 to 4.8 inches but we don't know much about the quality of the maps/directions.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Malcolm

sworks
29th July 2007, 20:21
I have used tom tom and Blaupunkt travel pilot and the tom tom wins hands down. The later tom toms are widescreen and models 510 and above can be used as a hands free kit via blue tooth

Lates
29th July 2007, 20:35
Deeper pockets can have a pioneer AV1C. Fitted one a couple of years back and it was trick with a large screen.

lightpainter
29th July 2007, 22:42
If you want a nice big screen look, at my pictures’ it’s a Clarion unit with a 7in screen, radio, CD player.

JohnDotCom
29th July 2007, 22:47
I have such a problem with your system Lightpainter, sitting in the rear seats watching DVD's whilst driving. :D :getmecoat:

lightpainter
29th July 2007, 22:55
Look mate if you can’t manage to drive with one hand holding a phone, the other a sandwich, with a cup of coffee between your knees and steering with your elbows, you’ve no right to be on the road! Lol

JohnDotCom
29th July 2007, 22:57
It's using the Laptop on the Net placed on Passenger seat, I find difficult :D

I'm joking Folks!

lightpainter
29th July 2007, 23:00
You must have perfected typing with just your left hand John!

JohnDotCom
29th July 2007, 23:03
Yup and texting with my right at same time, its hell out there you know. LOL.

Better get this back on thread or I'll have to move it to Social Forum. :D

pondweed
30th July 2007, 05:47
pick up a graded AYTOBE for £79 from maplins and run Tom Tom software on it. threads elsewhere - very good machine

mykl
30th July 2007, 11:15
Having been an owner of a Mio C510(E) for about a month now I can honestly say I am very impressed with this device.

The screen size is at 3.7" with a nice slim body for tucking into a pocket when you are away from the car.

Cost under £150.00 has UK and in addition European street level mapping (DVD download) Saftey Camera Database, Postcode search etc. Overspeed warning, SD Card Slot, Bluetooth for your phone. MP3 player, Photo album. Car charger, Windscreen Holder

http://www.mio-tech.be/en/gps-navigation-device-Mio-C510E-overview.htm

_________

mykl

Dead Dog
30th July 2007, 13:56
Deeper pockets can have a pioneer AV1C. Fitted one a couple of years back and it was trick with a large screen.

was /am / ohh i don't know, thinking of one of these, can be had for £400 delivered from US (ok i think you'll need EU maps but..) I would have liked to fit a hi-line in place of my lo-line, but by the looks of it that would cost a fair bit more than the 400 squid for the pioneer, which is damn sexy:bowdown:

oakridge
30th July 2007, 20:10
Thanks for your helpful replies all. I don't think the Pioneer is within the Financial Department's budget limit, but I can dream. I see that some (all?) have headphone jacks which would be good if Christine went somewhere on her own. I don't possess a mobile phone and Christine's is usually in her handbag in the boot so bluetooth and all that jazz isn't really important.

Please don't be offended if you see this question posted 'in another place'. It will be to try to get the widest range of opinions.

Malcolm

oakridge
1st August 2007, 19:02
Well we've spent our money on a TomTom One XL Europe, having looked at Garmin, Navman and Sony large screen models.

Thanks all for your advice.

Malcolm

adysiflori
19th August 2007, 09:08
If anyone needs free speed camera downloads for " tom tom, navman, garmin and magellan.. heres the place to get them..its free to join at the moment..download also includes red light cameras.

http://www.poigenie.co.uk/speed_cameras

JohnDotCom
20th August 2007, 21:52
Red Light Cameras, What sort of roads are you cruising? :D :getmecoat:

adysiflori
21st August 2007, 14:55
Red Light Cameras, What sort of roads are you cruising? :D :getmecoat:

hehehehehe

I think it means that some traffic lights are fitted with cameras that catch you if you go through when the light is red.

( but it was a good joke though)

JohnDotCom
21st August 2007, 16:23
You are of course correct Adrian.
They are the traffic light Cameras.
I just couldn't resist, Sorry. :D