PDA

View Full Version : Primo 1.2 with TMC GRrrrr!

Teflon
6th May 2011, 16:45
So, after a good many weeks of me messing around with Primo to get TMC working, Tony Fry steps up and solves the issue. :D:D

But!:

Today I went over to see Messenger in Crawthorne. Didn't know the way, but not a problem, afterall, I have Primo with TMC. :D So, I get to a roundabout: "Turn left onto 9 Mile Ride says Primo". Would that be the road that's blocked by the police cars (and has been for days), due to the raging forest fire? Yup! I ignore Primo and carry on straight ahead. Primo recalculates, and helpfully instructs me to use the main Crowthorne road - also blocked by police etc etc!! Aaargghh.

It's typical, the one time I want to use TMC, I mean when I actually need TMC, it tries to direct into a raging firestorm to die a horrible death. Even worse, it could have gotton my paintwork singed! :mad: It happilly reported slow traffic on the M3, and a few other minor distractions, but a massive fire raging out of control laying waste to an entire continent? Nah, never noticed it says TMC (Note: I may have exagerated the scale of the fire slightly).

I suppose i can't criticise the (free) software, as it can only act on the data it gets, but I was really looking forward to being impressed. Oh well, there's always next time I suppose.

Cliff

MARKUK
6th May 2011, 16:47
Like you said Cliff,

It will only update you IF the data is available...the fault lies with the system that inputs the data onto the TMC network really...

But I understand your frustration !

Teflon
6th May 2011, 17:04
Yup.

It's typical though. I rarely go anywhere in the Rover where I need directions, so haven't had a chance to see TMC really do its stuff. Each day on the way to work, it has loads of data on traffic flow / accidents/ road closures etc, but doesn't step in as I don't have a route set in Primo.

I was kind of looking forward to the novelty of having my car tell me "Dont go that way" - wasn't really too much of a problem though, as I just pulled over and edited the route to avoid the 2 roads in question.

Cheers,

Cliff

tony_fry
7th May 2011, 09:43
Yup.

It's typical though. I rarely go anywhere in the Rover where I need directions, so haven't had a chance to see TMC really do its stuff. Each day on the way to work, it has loads of data on traffic flow / accidents/ road closures etc, but doesn't step in as I don't have a route set in Primo.

I was kind of looking forward to the novelty of having my car tell me "Dont go that way" - wasn't really too much of a problem though, as I just pulled over and edited the route to avoid the 2 roads in question.

Cheers,

Cliff

Depending on how you have the TMC setup, it can automatically re-route you or it can show a warning on the screen and will ask "you" if you want to re-route, also you can set it for "only" traffic reports what are in your journey route or ALL traffic reports, might be worth playing around with the setting from within Primo

Teflon
7th May 2011, 11:08
I'll have to have a paly around. At the moment, I think it is set up to to ask before re-routing, and to show all traffic incidents.

I don't seem to have much luck with TMC. When I first got iGo8, I had it set to automatically re-route me. First time I tried to use the sat nav "in anger", it started my journey by pointing me in the "wrong" direction. Knowing better, I ignored it and proceeded onto the M25 - you can guess the rest! :o

Cliff

Mr Edd
9th May 2011, 09:02
I have seen many threads about TMC and this is the first one I have seen it explained what it does. I thought I would never need this technology, probably out of ignorance. Now I am wondering if I should get it.

Then if it doesn't tell you that your continent is sinking its hardly worth it... glug glug glug. I thought we were on an island :shrug:

Edd