PDA

View Full Version : Sub woofer in Chinese Ddin

phenonix
14th May 2011, 05:16
How would one add a sub woofer to the Chinese Ddin unit?
I have the original unit

I have never looked at adding something like this before so really do not have clue.

Was out shopping today, saw some Sony subs , already in enclosure, (the ones that go in the boot) going cheap, so now it's stuck in my head to give them a try but I walked away without really looking at what's required to set them up

So excuse the novice questions.

1.Do they need to be powered? I suppose that means tapping into switched live and running it to the boot.
2. Do I need to buy an amp? Was hoping not to have to.
3. Which plugs plug into the subs? I remember the subs having 2 sockets

RichB
15th May 2011, 14:30
How would one add a sub woofer to the Chinese Ddin unit?
I have the original unit

I have never looked at adding something like this before so really do not have clue.

Was out shopping today, saw some Sony subs , already in enclosure, (the ones that go in the boot) going cheap, so now it's stuck in my head to give them a try but I walked away without really looking at what's required to set them up

So excuse the novice questions.

1.Do they need to be powered? I suppose that means tapping into switched live and running it to the boot.
2. Do I need to buy an amp? Was hoping not to have to.
3. Which plugs plug into the subs? I remember the subs having 2 sockets

I have a 12" Vibe Fli Trap active sub in my boot and the sound improvement is massive. You need to:

1) Run a long, heavy gauge +12V power direct from your battery, through a fuse (close to the battery) to the boot of your car.
2) Run a shorter, heavy gauge ground wire to a ground point somewhere in your boot.
3) Run a long, light gauge switched +12V from the back of your head unit to the boot of you car.
4) Run a long pair of RCA leads from the back of your head unit to the boot of your car.
5) Once all the cables are into the boot, hook them up to the amplifier. I don't recall having to change any setting on the head unit to get it working.

I ran the heavy gauge +12V down one side of the car under the sill covers, the rest down the other side, just in case I got any interference on the sound. Not sure if it was necessary or not.

Cheers,
Rich

phenonix
15th May 2011, 20:52
Cheers, exactly what i needed to know.Which head unit do you have, is it the chinese Rover one?

RichB
16th May 2011, 07:39
Yes, one from Sean with RDS and TMC.

Rich

Jakg
16th May 2011, 08:13
You can get a wiring kit on eBay with everything you'll need for a basic sub/amp system for £15.

You'll need an amp and a sub, or alternatively get an active sub (i.e. one with an amp already in there).