PDA

View Full Version : Refurb

ardvark
15th May 2011, 19:17
I've been thinking of treating myself to a van again ( last one was a Musketeer towed by a SD1 in the 90's) Non seem to have the layout I want. So a spares or repair is on my mind. Stripping it out and rebuilding the inside with the layout I want. Correct me if I'm wrong but are vans bodies still built with a alloy outer skin, then a wooden frame with issulation between and a ply or lamilated inner skin? I'm talking abut vans that are over 15 years or so.

markyp
15th May 2011, 21:45
Hello ardvark...
I have bought a european cavaran 1993 Caravelair Brazilia 900kg and the panels are aluminium/foam/(some sort of spray textured coating)composite, Making the van light weight and strong also a lot less likely to let water in. Newer vans have this design but it is uncommon on older uk vans. A lot of the euro vans also have a fixed double bed..if thats important to you...:)

Roverowner
18th May 2011, 07:17
Remember that the layout in a van is usually a part of the overall structure aswell. Meaning that if you strip one out and put your own ideas in, you might affect the stability of the shell. I´ve seen this happen. My experience of the old Musketeers was that if you took out the wardrobe..... it folded:o

Of course the whole thing depends on what sort of van you´re looking for (size, weight, general layout, with or without a toilet)

A friend of mine has just refurbed an old van and put his own ideas on the inside. The van is double skinned fiber glass so the shell is okay whether there is anything in it or not;)