PDA

View Full Version : warning if your van has an alko stabiliser!

ernst
17th May 2011, 20:28
hi all,was just browsing ebay for a charging relay when i noticed a tow ball for alko stabiliser,:confused:thoughts flowed through the grey matter,do i need a special tow ball,well after a bit of research i find you do,it has a longer neck to accomadate the slightly larger hitch to allow for side ways movement,they say if you put a short one on it can pop off which in theory sounds right to me changed mine anyway to be safe,its something i would never of thought about,i have towed with the wrong one for two years and all has been ok,but better safe than sorry:)

Trophy Blue Tourer
19th May 2011, 01:04
Dead right for the more comon "bolt on" tow hitch

Happily it doesnt apply to the more modern "swan neck" unit

Good spot and this time of year with more and more people using caravans timely as well!:cool:

Andy

Tractor Boy
24th May 2011, 08:01
I only found this out buying a caravan from new, the van maker supplied the alko tow hitch with the van witch prompted me to ask the dealer. We did have the towbar fitted before picking the van up and the fitter asked if it was alko and fitted the right one in the first place. If you fit your own towbar and buy a used van you would have no way of knowing this. Well done for pointing it out.

windrush
24th May 2011, 08:21
The Alko stabilizer has been out so quite a while now and was well publicized about the neck being longer but well to point this out again to new caravanners well done

Tractor Boy
24th May 2011, 10:17
It amazes me how little research people do when buying a caravan, Ie mismatched car and van, wrong towbar, old tyres, poor servicing etc, there are so many dangerouse units out there being driven by people totally unaware until it all goes wrong

spyder
24th May 2011, 17:14
Hi,I am looking to buy a van to tow behind my tourer, which has a tow bar fitted. I am not sure what the difference is between the two types mentioned below, or how one would check ?

Thanks
Craig

Tractor Boy
24th May 2011, 20:42
Hi Craig, I would suggest that while you are looking at caravans get a dealer to have a look at your towball and ask him what yours is then ask him to show you the difference between the hitches on an alko and non alko van that way you will know what you are looking at when you buy. also check the caravans electric hook up is the same type as you have on your car.

spyder
24th May 2011, 23:05
Thanks will do, the ball has ISO stamped on it ?? and the car is wired with dual electrics and a relay system.
It is like a lot of universal or standard systems in industry-there is usually more than one ????

ernst
25th May 2011, 20:10
craig, if you go onto alko web site it has the measurements for the correct tow ball ,have a look at this link it may take you there if not just type in alko tow ball and it comes up with a pdf giving diagrams as well,hope this helps,cheers ernst. http://national-caravan-council.co.uk/images/resources/alko_towball_guide_final_rev1.pdf

spyder
25th May 2011, 20:38
craig, if you go onto alko web site it has the measurements for the correct tow ball ,have a look at this link it may take you there if not just type in alko tow ball and it comes up with a pdf giving diagrams as well,hope this helps,cheers ernst. http://national-caravan-council.co.uk/images/resources/alko_towball_guide_final_rev1.pdf

Thank you, very interesting mine measures 48mm, and not the required 56mm, so it will NOT work with the stabiliser. Never knew there was a difference and must have had about 20 cars with towhitches. Off to ebay again !

Thanks

Tractor Boy
26th May 2011, 08:45
The alko towball is only about £20 but if I where you I would wait until you buy a van and then you will know which one you need. Another good tip when buying a used caravan is look on the sidewall of the tyres for the use by date and if they are over use this as a bargaining point. all tyres should have the date stamped on them. for more info check out the caravan club website and if you are planning to use campsites it may be worth joining as you can save a lot of money on site fees which outweighs the joining fee, also they have lots of handy tips and info in their magazine each month.

windrush
26th May 2011, 09:04
I will agree about the caravan club I have been a member since 1967 thats 44 years of great caravanning

Trophy Blue Tourer
27th May 2011, 07:27
The alko towball is only about £20 but if I where you I would wait until you buy a van and then you will know which one you need. Another good tip when buying a used caravan is look on the sidewall of the tyres for the use by date and if they are over use this as a bargaining point. all tyres should have the date stamped on them. for more info check out the caravan club website and if you are planning to use campsites it may be worth joining as you can save a lot of money on site fees which outweighs the joining fee, also they have lots of handy tips and info in their magazine each month.

:wot::wot::wot:

BUT!!:D you can use the slightly longer neck Alko ball for the older caravans or Winterhoff hitch units or the basic hitchs on trailers say!! so if you get one and have done with it you will be able to take your pick and stick it on the back straight away!!

Seems like a bit of a no brainer to me!!:shrug::D

Andy

RPWC
7th June 2011, 16:57
Don't like the stabiliser hitches,saw a horror video when I did the caravan course,(already knew how to tow caravan,but did the course to get discount on insurance).If the wind catches your caravan or you get snaking,and it tips over,with a stabiliser hitch,the car will go aswell,whereas if you have a leaf spring stabiliser and standard hitch,only the caravan will tip.

HarryM1BYT
7th June 2011, 20:53
I've never used the Alko - I firmly believe the various spring types are more effective. They just take slightly more time and effort to use them.

mrplastic
22nd July 2011, 15:55
Hi,I am looking to buy a van to tow behind my tourer, which has a tow bar fitted. I am not sure what the difference is between the two types mentioned below, or how one would check ?

Thanks
Craig
craig,
have been caravaning for some years now and if you want any advise PM me or buy The caravan handbook by john wickersham in the book it will tell you the rules for buying a van to suit you car and how to load the van to mantain stability VERY IMPORTENT PLEASEget advise before towing a van

marinabrian
5th August 2011, 22:50
I have a Scott leaf spring stabiliser for my outfit, never had any issues with it, unlike the poor unfortunates I spotted on the A1 just north of Morpeth
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/marinabrian/Image061.jpg