PDA

View Full Version : Differing source volume levels

HarryM1BYT
18th May 2011, 18:30
I have all of the source volume levels set on maximum. The radio volume is much higher than the other sources (DVB-T, SD card, DVD, CD). I have the DVB-T's internal level set to max and suppose as it is an external source there will be some mismatch in level. As obviously I will not be watching TV or a DVD on the move, they are fine. Due to the SD card, I'm not too bothered about the CD volume either, but the volume from the SD card????

First can I ask if others have a similar result to the above?

Secondly....

The volume on some tracks on my SD card was better before i ran the tracks through a bit of software which 'normalised' the volume level of all of the tracks. I found there was such a variation I had to adjust the volume level quite often. Now they all play at a similar level.

The software also included an option to increase or decrease 'normalised' the levels. I'm now wondering whether to run the tracks through again, but boosting the volume.

Comments please?

VVC-Geeza
18th May 2011, 20:14
I have all of the source volume levels set on maximum. The radio volume is much higher than the other sources (DVB-T, SD card, DVD, CD). I have the DVB-T's internal level set to max and suppose as it is an external source there will be some mismatch in level. As obviously I will not be watching TV or a DVD on the move, they are fine. Due to the SD card, I'm not too bothered about the CD volume either, but the volume from the SD card????

First can I ask if others have a similar result to the above?

I can concur with all of that,the radio is noticeably louder.

Secondly....

The volume on some tracks on my SD card was better before i ran the tracks through a bit of software which 'normalised' the volume level of all of the tracks. I found there was such a variation I had to adjust the volume level quite often. Now they all play at a similar level.

Comments please?

I used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) for the conversion onto the SD and the volume is stable on all tracks and not far off that of the radio, without adjustment.

suffolk boy
18th May 2011, 21:28
i find when my radio is to loud if often helps to turn it down:}

HarryM1BYT
18th May 2011, 21:32
As do I, but its nice to switch from one source to another without being deafened :D

I've boosted the dB's on the SD card files by 10dB - see how that works out. Thanks for the replies.

VVC-Geeza
18th May 2011, 21:52
Did you use a decent quality sd card Harry?

There have been reports on here of some that are not all what they seem ;)

HarryM1BYT
19th May 2011, 18:49
Did you use a decent quality sd card Harry?

There have been reports on here of some that are not all what they seem ;)

Er, no idea - didn't know the card could make any difference, so long as the data is accessible fast enough and it doesn't corrupt....

Anyway, all sorted now, volume level of radio and SD tracks about the same.

For reference....

I used MP3Gain, the free version. I originally had run my MP3's on the card through it at the default 89dB setting, which adjusted all of the tracks to a standard level, but a bit quieter than the radio. Yesterday evening I tried running them through again, but with a setting of 100dB. That seems to have adjusted them to a similar volume to the radio, but it reports some clipping - none of which I was able to notice on the move.

Prometheus
28th May 2011, 13:08
when using an SD card and or Ipod it's good practice to make sure you re author your source tracks. This so you have a consistant DB range on the music you would like to play. This prevents having to turn down the radio when a Loud song comes on like 98DB or when a soft song comes on like 81DB turn your unit up and still miss the umph you want.

If you reauthor your songs to the same DB range you won't be changing the volume on your audio device every song to get the level you want.

I use a software tool for this called:

MP3 Gain. This tool is freeware and can do batch conversions. I recently ran 4 gb though it to normalize the tracks around 92 DB (This is about what radio stations uses on air) If you would like more bass up the DB a bit to say 95 and make use of your loud function in the Unit.

Renphoric i use to rename tracks :)

Rule of thumb Choose 10 mp3 files you like (aka wanna play loud) choose 10 you wanna just listen to at normal volume. Reauther them all to the same DB range and test out what you find works the best for you in your current system. Then run the whole collection though mp3gain for the best results.

Hope that helps.

Mr Edd
28th May 2011, 19:36
Excellent "How To"

Edd