PDA

View Full Version : Are recomended towing limits enforceable by the police?

Jamie
26th May 2011, 13:29
Hi Folks,

I have heard several different answers for this so what I need is a definative and honest answer.

as you folks know my ZT passed on and I am now stuck with the Zafira which has a 1500Kg manufacturers tow limit and the caravan I want is 1600Kg fully laden.

can I just say first...I am a very experienced driver when it comes to towing so I know all the ins and outs of safety etc....the Zafira is easily capable of towing this van and its rock solid when towing...what I need is a legal answer not advice about how to tow.

here is the scenario...when we go on hols...the car has a full roof box, two adults, a child, a labrador and all the holiday guff...it must easily weigh around 2000Kg.

My question is how would I stand if the police stopped me and I was towing a 1600kg caravan?

is the towing limit enforceable or is it advisory?

Thanks in advance.

windrush
26th May 2011, 14:37
Simple answer is YES

Greeners
26th May 2011, 14:39
Jamie

Yes, either the police or if you are very unlucky VOSA will drag you off to the nearest weighbridge....

Jamie
26th May 2011, 15:02
Thanks Chaps...just had the same reply from cheshire police....which contradicts what the caravan dealership have told me!

not worth the risk so...solution? bigger car....smaller caravan?

decisions decisions....:shrug:

Jakg
26th May 2011, 15:21
It's not a recommendation, it's a type approval limit.

You either are / aren't type approved to tow (i.e. an Elise isn't, so irrespective of what you do, you could never legally tow with one - weirdly neither is an M5), and if you are you are only approved up to xxxx KG.

eurorover
26th May 2011, 22:57
85% of the cars weight is a recommended towing weight. experienced caravanners can do 1:1

Trophy Blue Tourer
26th May 2011, 23:22
If you tow a Caravan of 1600 kg with a car that has a plate from the maker stating 1500kg is the limit you will be braking "construction and use regs"

Oh and if you had an accident that was your fault while you were towing your insurance company would just head for the hills!!!!!!!!

HTH??

Andy

P.S the caravan firm are just trying to sell you a van!! if they are willing to tell such a whopper on something so important and with so many implications for you down the line :mad: JUST DONT DEAL WITH THEM!!! :mad:

windrush
27th May 2011, 05:21
This is one of the good reasons that I chose my Rover 75, Towing limit of 1600kgs 100kgs on the tow ball and 100kgs on the roof I dont think that there is another estate or saloon that will meet these figures

Jamie
27th May 2011, 20:21
This is one of the good reasons that I chose my Rover 75, Towing limit of 1600kgs 100kgs on the tow ball and 100kgs on the roof I dont think that there is another estate or saloon that will meet these figures

yes...I have been saying to wife this week...'I shouldnt have sold the ZTT' !

ardvark
30th May 2011, 10:12
Have a look at this link and ask youreself a question. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q7K1bBhjkY

eurorover
31st May 2011, 11:07
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022883/hints-for-trailer-caravanners-mo.pdf

Jamie
6th June 2011, 08:44

Brilliant link...thank you...mind you...it does say that for a 1200kg caravan you need 1111BHP....bugatti Veron anyone? LOL

Jamie
6th June 2011, 08:45

Very funny link....surely a set up though?

eurorover
9th June 2011, 21:43
I think it should read 111bhp

mel12s
27th June 2011, 16:28
Hi Jamie,

Yes, you should be wary about the claims dealers make. Some years ago I was inspecting a 4/5 berth caravan at a 2nd-hand dealer and was quickly approached by a keen salesman. "You'll easily tow it with that" he said, nodding in the direction of the Fiat Punto 1.2 litre I had parked nearby. His next comment -wait for it, you'll have a laugh -was "once you get going the caravan helps to push you along". He didn't realise that I had been towing since 1976. His sales patter soon folded-up when I launched in with braking capacities, noseweight, 80/85% rule etc.

By the way I've towed twice this year with my 75 CDTi bought in April. It does the job superbly. My previous tug, for eleven years, was a Fiat Marea 2 litre petrol version and it gave me no complaints. The diesel, however, does the job even better. On some of the long and steepish hills around Rothbury (Northumberland) I had to change down to 3rd in the Fiat to keep speed up. The 75 does it in 4th with not a bit of fuss.

Regards.

Jamie
25th July 2011, 13:59
HI MIke,

I am afraid I missed your reply! we have finally bought a Coachman Amara.

Thanks anyway.