PDA

View Full Version : The voice announcment issue - a clue

HarryM1BYT
28th May 2011, 16:21
Last w/e I swapped from the Navteq map to the Teleatlas one. Last time out, the part of the first word of all the the voice announcements was missing. Using Teleatlas the entire announcements were heard in full that included the route directions, the speed warnings and camera warnings.

HarryM1BYT
11th June 2011, 11:41
I got it WRONG - sorry!

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the choice of maps, but whether ICE is enabled or not with the SatNav. The 'GPS Listen' setting enabled cuts out the first bit of the Satnavs announcement - map on screen combined with ICE sound. With 'GPS Listen' disabled you hear the entire announcements from the start.

taffyduck
11th June 2011, 19:30
Now thats interesting. Because if I turn off the "Ding" in the sys.txt i.e
ding=0
then the voice clipping also happens in the normal Voice.

If I Reactivate it i.e
ding=""
and switch it off in the settings menu then the normal voice works fine but then there's a pause before the tts voice starts and normaly the music comes back on before the voice instructions have finished or before the voice instructions start.

will just have to keep playing with it.:cool:

HarryM1BYT
11th June 2011, 20:30
I've never heard a ding from the Satnav at all. I wonder if the ding sound could be replaced by a silence - something like " ", just to delay the announcement long enough so the start is not missed?

Ajd1
12th June 2011, 08:56
I did as Tony suggested and put a couple of extra letters before the Warning in sys.txt.

I.e. activated_speech="and Warning, speed camera ahead"

Did this on each line that needed it.

It seems to have solved the clipping for me, at least I get the full Warning and not just ning anymore.

Hope this helps.

Andy

HarryM1BYT
12th June 2011, 22:05
The problem is that it seems to affect ALL of the announcements, not just the warning ones. For instance instead of 'After 100 yards turn left' I hear '..ter 100 yards turn left'.

Ajd1
13th June 2011, 06:20
Sorry, I have to admit I haven't been anywhere to try the guidance recently.

Wasn't aware it didn't work on all anouncements.

Ajd1
15th June 2011, 14:24
Think I've cracked it with mine this morning.

I turned GPS Listen off in the system settings of the unit itself.

Went to Louth and back this morning letting it guide me and the clipping has gone, everything sounded as it should,

It's about an 80 mile trip so gave it a good go.

There does seems to be one drawback with doing it this way which is you don't seem to be able to listen to any music while the satnav screen is showing.

Turn the nav screen off the music plays as normal.

Not a problem for me as I generally don't have any music playing while in nav mode.

Gotta say though it's nice to hear the whole sentence instead of missing the first bit.

It worked for me and may help someone else.

Andy