PDA

View Full Version : How long would you expect a Petrol Fuel Pump to last?

egremont
2nd June 2011, 05:54
A local Aussie friend is the proud owner of a 2001 2.5 KV6 Rover 75 - has 225,000 kms (approx. 140,000 miles) on the clock. Recently his car had to be transported to a local Rover repairer.
The diagnosis was that the fuel pump had died. Yes, the culprit was the fuel pump - not the fabled orange clip nor the module assembly [filter and sender unit].

As the earlier petrol pumps are no longer available, a later unit had to be installed together with a later version of the module unit - the early module units and later fuel pump versions are not compatible - apparently they have different fixing threads. The repair shop binned the existing module unit. Comparable repair cost, including 45 mins labour was equivalent to GBP 850.00.

Of course I have experienced the fabled orange clip syndrome, but have not heard reports about the actual fuel pump failing. I would like to know whether there are any known signs to look out for that may indicate pending pump failure, or do they fail without warning. Also, is the pump failure becoming a more common occurrence now that the cars are ageing.

Are these fuel pumps repairable, eg. replacing a diaphragm / membrane etc. I have not seen any drawings as to the internals of the pump.

Are there any other car manufacturers' pumps available that are compatible with our 2.5 KV6 engined cars? Are the pumps manufactured by Siemens VDO?
I hope someone can enlighten me and my fellow owners here in southern antipodes.

egremont.

tsautos
2nd June 2011, 07:37
The fuel pumps do fail, and it depends if the pump has run dry this happens when the module unscrews and empties the drivers side of fuel,
The driver unwittingly hanging on the starter trying to start the car with the pre mentioned will kill the pump.
And yes all the pumps were made by Siemens/Vdo

EnEnGee
2nd June 2011, 11:16
Mine is on 95k (10 years) and still the original. No signs of any problems as of yet.

T-Cut
2nd June 2011, 15:43
I think petrol pumps fail so infrequently (unlike the diesel) that it's really not worth worrying about getting a spare.

TC

James.uk
2nd June 2011, 15:50
The diesel pumps ain't bad! I-Jules replaced mine at 150.000 miles just to be safe, but neither of them had given me any trouble... :D

egremont
3rd June 2011, 01:02
Appreciate your comments. There would be nothing worse than being stranded 1,000 miles or more away from home on an interstate trip - say en route to a National Rove.
Interestingly, Jules mentioned that he has not had to replace a petrol fuel pump - augurs well for my forthcoming trip.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know if the 75's Siemens VDO petrol pump is specifically manufactured to MG Rover specifications, or is it sourced via the BMW parts bin?

Cheers to one and all, and Happy Rovering.

egremont.