PDA

View Full Version : Speed limits and sat nav?

Ken
8th June 2011, 08:04
Hi

Sorry if this is a daft question but I am getting different answers from Halfords, Currys and Tesco!

Do both TomTom and Garmin show speed limits on major roads even if there is no speed camera there? I know they do if a speed camera is flagged up but it's when there are no cameras that I am interested in. Also do they all show the speed of the vehicle at any given time?

Thanks for any help

Ken :}

spyder
8th June 2011, 08:33
We have 2 Garmins 205W, been one. it does show the speed limit at all times on most road. Farm roads and "wide driveways" not all the time.

The Tom Tom iI bough for my brother last month does the same.
Both need you to pay for camera/speed traps to be updated.

Garmin is an easier unit to work and download updates-bur more expensive.

Tom Tom offerer a slightly cheaper upgrade, an both is you pay extra , the next few upgrades are free. Tom Tom has better POI upgrades for the UK, but can be more fiddley to load.

Garmin can be matched to your car speed, and only show an alert if you are over the speed limit-but this is aftermarket software.

I would be lost or very poor in the UK with out the speed indicator showing all the time, especially going though villages.

MangoMan
8th June 2011, 08:39
My Garmin shows Speed Limits on most roads, even in Spain and Portugal. But I observe all Speed Signs on the roads if different from what the Garmin says. And it works both ways, sometimes my Garmin says 50, but the Signs say 60 or 70, I obey the Sign, not Garmin, and vice versa of course.

And the speed it shows on the Garmin is more acurate than your speedo 99% of the time.

Ken
8th June 2011, 09:04
Thanks for that :}

It's the Garmin 205w I have been looking at but the trouble is there are so many on the market that confusion took over :D

I have always said that my sat nav is in the boot and comes in the form of a AA road map of GB. Last week in Cornwall I was fed up with not knowing the speed limits every time I came to a camera, one stretch had three cameras in half a mile:mad:

Touring Somerset week after next so I have decided to join the modern era and get one :}

Thanks again

Ken

Jakg
8th June 2011, 09:27
For TomTom - yes and no. Depends if it "knows" the limit or not. And even when it does, it's not always correct. Usually it does, though.

Forestgreen
23rd December 2011, 20:08
For TomTom - yes and no. Depends if it "knows" the limit or not. And even when it does, it's not always correct. Usually it does, though.

I've used Mio and Garmin and haven't been overwhelmed by the accuracy of the speed limit it "thinks" the road is compared to what the signs are telling me (or the absense of signs if it's lit, meaning 30mph). If you were caught going at 40 in a 30 zone I cannot for the life of me imagine you would successfully be able to argue that you were simply following what the satnav told you.

On the other hand if the road signs say one thing, you follow them. My wife once got caught allegedly doing 40 in a 30 zone and successfully pointed out, along with dozens of other defendants, once it got to court, that though the police thought the limit had been changed the previous week, the signs hadn't been taken down at the time she was stopped. Incredible.