PDA

View Full Version : Jargon

rotrex
13th June 2011, 14:31
hi gang. please be gentle. I,v been kinda interested in a dd unit for my zt for some time now. but tbh I come on here for a read to try learn what this is all about and get confused as I have no idea what you guys are talking about. could someone please do a dummys list of what all the abrieviations you guys use mean please. i'll try remember a few. skin. patch. tmc.rds.igo.petros.ect. the list goes on and on. also in simple terms if I buy one is it a plug and play unit ? tam

Reebs
13th June 2011, 15:01
Tam, thread moved into Double Din Sub forum for better coverage. TTFN :D

MisterTomez
13th June 2011, 15:49
Ok Tam here goes:

Skin: This is basically a theme; how a certain piece of software will look. For example you could have a "walnut" skin on your unit which means all the software in question would have a walnut themed appearance. In the navigation software, there are several themes that are available to select from to customize how you want it to look.

Patch/Petros: This is an update to a certain piece of software, or in the case of the "Petrut Patch" an update to the entire unit, allowing different functions, new features and greater overall capability of the unit. Petrutms I believe is a member on here but I think the patch is nicknamed "Petros Patch" occasionally just to confuse things!

TMC: Stands for "Traffic Message Channel", and tells you the conditions of traffic when you're on the navigation screen, i.e: where accidents are, any traffic jams, average speed of traffic etc.

RDS Stands for "Radio Data System", and displays the name of the radio station you are listening to. For example, "BBC Radio 2" rather than "88.3MHz" or equivalent.

iGO: Simply one of the pieces of software used to navigate you around. This comes preinstalled on a memory card supplied with the unit when you buy one.

It is indeed a plug and play unit, if you wish to wire in devices such as a reversing camera then obviously the required cables need to be run down the car, but it really isn't difficult. The thing that takes the most time is getting the settings on the unit how you want them.

If you want to know any more just say :D

rotrex
13th June 2011, 16:38
taa mister tomez. thats a great help. i'm thinking the RDS aint that important to me as I dont often use radio. TMC I can see being usefull to folk who travel the motorways daily for example probably not needed for me. am I right thinking TMC will take over screen no mater what I'm useing at the time. navigating for example??
what is important to me is phone. I currently use a parrot. is the bluetooth in DD same ie it will interupt whatever I'm listening/navigating to alert me I have a call ??
s/nav. I currently use a garmin which is great although I find it annoying stuck on window with cable hanging about + when in sigar lighter when I change gear stick to a forward gear keep hitting my finges against the plug. grrr:D
telly. a novalty I know but since its there I would like it to work. whats involved here ?? expensive ?
CD changer. mine is in boot and tbh dont want to fill g/box with one. but find I never change disks because its in boot and always feel like a change when on the move and disks are at home. ie I'v had same disks in it since I bought the car:D could easily do without this tbh if I had slot for single disk. even better get with the times and buy/learn how to use an Ipod:o
so as you can see I'd benefit from an upgrade to DD only need to convince myself to buy one. have never bought car HiFi in my life so this is a big move for me:o
I then have a few concern,s IE I read about folk having problems with these. I know Sean deals with warrenty my worry is.if for example I have new unit I will sell my Parrot and Garmin. then if DD need to be returned for repair or replacement how long do I have a hole in dash with no music.nav.phone. this is a big worry as cant be without Phone.music. could get by without nav most days though.
any help reasurance folks can give is much apprieciated. taa again.

James.uk
13th June 2011, 17:11
>>>what is important to me is phone. I currently use a parrot.<<<

I think this would be better discussed in private as the RSPCA may be watching..... ;) :shrug: :o

MisterTomez
13th June 2011, 17:28
taa mister tomez. thats a great help. i'm thinking the RDS aint that important to me as I dont often use radio. TMC I can see being usefull to folk who travel the motorways daily for example probably not needed for me. am I right thinking TMC will take over screen no mater what I'm useing at the time. navigating for example??
what is important to me is phone. I currently use a parrot. is the bluetooth in DD same ie it will interupt whatever I'm listening/navigating to alert me I have a call ??
s/nav. I currently use a garmin which is great although I find it annoying stuck on window with cable hanging about + when in sigar lighter when I change gear stick to a forward gear keep hitting my finges against the plug. grrr:D
telly. a novalty I know but since its there I would like it to work. whats involved here ?? expensive ?
CD changer. mine is in boot and tbh dont want to fill g/box with one. but find I never change disks because its in boot and always feel like a change when on the move and disks are at home. ie I'v had same disks in it since I bought the car:D could easily do without this tbh if I had slot for single disk. even better get with the times and buy/learn how to use an Ipod:o
so as you can see I'd benefit from an upgrade to DD only need to convince myself to buy one. have never bought car HiFi in my life so this is a big move for me:o
I then have a few concern,s IE I read about folk having problems with these. I know Sean deals with warrenty my worry is.if for example I have new unit I will sell my Parrot and Garmin. then if DD need to be returned for repair or replacement how long do I have a hole in dash with no music.nav.phone. this is a big worry as cant be without Phone.music. could get by without nav most days though.

TMC won't take over the screen at all, no. It simply shows a warning when there are congested conditions on your route or around your immediate area, by use of symbols on the interface and on the map. This includes roadworks too. You can set it to show all the events along your route, or all the events that it can find by order of distance. I have found it extremely useful, as you can even set it to automatically re-route you around the obstruction/traffic if you want.

Telephone: The DD will indeed interrupt what is on the screen and mute all other sounds. It will display the number of who is calling and show the keypad so you can press the answer button. Unfortunately there's no phonebook feature contained on the unit.

TV wise, you'll need a digital tuner to go with the unit; this is extremely easy to plug up. The problem is getting a signal, it seems a low-cost way to do this is still in the works as it were. Personally I don't want to shell out 100s on fancy aerials. (This is where I hope someone comes along and says " I did it for £20 and it works a treat " !)

Unfortunately it won't talk to the CD changer, which is a shame as I liked mine - old hat though it may be. The drive in the DD though plays absolutely everything I've tried, not forgetting DVDs.

The unit shouldn't have to be repaired or replaced, they seem to be fairly reliable. Perhaps Sean will see this thread and reassure you on that one. :)

rotrex
13th June 2011, 18:18
TMC won't take over the screen at all, no. It simply shows a warning when there are congested conditions on your route or around your immediate area, by use of symbols on the interface and on the map. This includes roadworks too. You can set it to show all the events along your route, or all the events that it can find by order of distance. I have found it extremely useful, as you can even set it to automatically re-route you around the obstruction/traffic if you want.
now that does sound usefull. itnetface whats that??

Telephone: The DD will indeed interrupt what is on the screen and mute all other sounds. It will display the number of who is calling and show the keypad so you can press the answer button. Unfortunately there's no phonebook feature contained on the unit.

thats a shame. am I right thinking the alternative unit has phone book though?

TV wise, you'll need a digital tuner to go with the unit; this is extremely easy to plug up. The problem is getting a signal, it seems a low-cost way to do this is still in the works as it were. Personally I don't want to shell out 100s on fancy aerials. (This is where I hope someone comes along and says " I did it for £20 and it works a treat " !)
I was hoping I could fit a rear window from a highline equiped car for this job to keep things looking standard ?

Unfortunately it won't talk to the CD changer, which is a shame as I liked mine - old hat though it may be. The drive in the DD though plays absolutely everything I've tried, not forgetting DVDs.
good stuff. for example I recently had some CD's made for me and my standard JVC wont play them:(

The unit shouldn't have to be repaired or replaced, they seem to be fairly reliable. Perhaps Sean will see this thread and reassure you on that one. :)
yep his input would be great here:bowdown:

rotrex
13th June 2011, 18:20
>>>what is important to me is phone. I currently use a parrot.<<<

I think this would be better discussed in private as the RSPCA may be watching..... ;) :shrug: :o

mabe should have said my parrot helps here:D

MisterTomez
13th June 2011, 18:31
When I say interface I just mean the navigation screen, i.e: where you see the map and information on your destination/current position.

The alternative unit (which I can't find a link to at the moment) I think does include a phonebook function yes. However I think it's overall capability is less than that of these units.

With regard to the TV aerial, you may be able to use it, I was thinking about doing the same but unfortunately got rid of all my old highline stuff including the tuner, typically after I'd realised I could have used it! I'm not sure if I could still still use the aerial that is in the rear windscreen.

rotrex
13th June 2011, 18:50
When I say interface I just mean the navigation screen, i.e: where you see the map and information on your destination/current position.
:o:bowdown:

The alternative unit (which I can't find a link to at the moment) I think does include a phonebook function yes. However I think it's overall capability is less than that of these units.
ahha the plot thickens

With regard to the TV aerial, you may be able to use it, I was thinking about doing the same but unfortunately got rid of all my old highline stuff including the tuner, typically after I'd realised I could have used it! I'm not sure if I could still still use the aerial that is in the rear windscreen.
would be great if you could use it since its already there? are you saying highline tv tuner will do the job to give DD telly ? I have a full highline system all working but nav disk missing. was toyying with idea of fitting it then started thinking DD. now kinda stuck between the 2 tbh.much prefer the bigger screen of the DD though.

MisterTomez
13th June 2011, 18:59
Yes I believe the rover tuner can be used, if I'm not mistaken HarryM1BYT on here has done this very thing. He'll perhaps be able to give you more information on this.

If you've got all the hi-line stuff in, then don't forget you could always go the BMW widescreen route, which gets expensive, but J1MBO I'm sure will be more than happy to give you more info on that, as he's upgraded a lot of the Rover stuff to later BMW tech.

rotrex
13th June 2011, 20:58
I have bought the complete highline kit. stripped it out of car myselfe so I know what I have. have not fitted it yes as wasnt going to if I buy a DD. correct me if wrong is the bmw route not a more expensive and complicated way to go. this is where it starts to get to complicated :D

MisterTomez
13th June 2011, 21:01
It's certainly more expensive lol, but not sure about complexity, as I said Jim will probably give you more information on that mate.

Radioguy
14th June 2011, 03:31
Hi MisterTomez, Hope you don't mind if I add a few outside links to your excellent explanations

Here is an FAQ On our website regarding the MGR unit as well :

http://autogpsdvds.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=6

Ok Tam here goes:

Skin: This is basically a theme; how a certain piece of software will look. For example you could have a "walnut" skin on your unit which means all the software in question would have a walnut themed appearance. In the navigation software, there are several themes that are available to select from to customize how you want it to look.

Patch/Petros: This is an update to a certain piece of software, or in the case of the "Petrut Patch" an update to the entire unit, allowing different functions, new features and greater overall capability of the unit. Petrutms I believe is a member on here but I think the patch is nicknamed "Petros Patch" occasionally just to confuse things!

TMC: Stands for "Traffic Message Channel", and tells you the conditions of traffic when you're on the navigation screen, i.e: where accidents are, any traffic jams, average speed of traffic etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel

RDS Stands for "Radio Data System", and displays the name of the radio station you are listening to. For example, "BBC Radio 2" rather than "88.3MHz" or equivalent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

iGO: Simply one of the pieces of software used to navigate you around. This comes preinstalled on a memory card supplied with the unit when you buy one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGO_(software)

It is indeed a plug and play unit, if you wish to wire in devices such as a reversing camera then obviously the required cables need to be run down the car, but it really isn't difficult. The thing that takes the most time is getting the settings on the unit how you want them.

If you want to know any more just say :D

Radioguy
14th June 2011, 03:35
yep his input would be great here:bowdown:

Done

We stand firmly behind every unit
We deal with the factory so you dont have to !
Thats why I am Missing Most of my hair !

Radioguy
14th June 2011, 03:37
For most forum members we send a replacement first now

HarryM1BYT
19th June 2011, 16:16
QUOTE=MisterTomez

The TMC can optionally just advise you of the holdups, or automatically reroute you to avoid them.

So far as I am aware the original Rover TV unit cannot be reused with the DD. Even if it would work, it would be pointless it is analogue TV only.

The built in Hi-line Tv antennas can be reused, providing you buy a digi TV adaptor box which has provision for a 12v supply to be fed up via the coax. Sean's more expensive TV adaptor has this facility, (and like the original Rover TV unit) will accept input from two antennas and it works perfectly with the two Rover rear screen antennas. All you need do is install the new unit where the old one was, change the plugs on the ends of the coax to F-plugs to match the new unit and set it to use a powered (amplified) antenna.

HarryM1BYT
19th June 2011, 16:25
Yes I believe the rover tuner can be used, if I'm not mistaken HarryM1BYT on here has done this very thing. He'll perhaps be able to give you more information on this.

If you've got all the hi-line stuff in, then don't forget you could always go the BMW widescreen route, which gets expensive, but J1MBO I'm sure will be more than happy to give you more info on that, as he's upgraded a lot of the Rover stuff to later BMW tech.

So far as I am aware - The Rover TV will NOT work with the DD. I only reused the two TV antennas, inc their amps, plus the radio antenna including its amp.

The cheapest option by far is to strip out and sell all of the Hi-line equipment, except HK amp/speakers - and buy a DD. The HK speakers will work as normal with the DD, simple plug and play, but the HK amp + subs needs a little more effort - it can be done, I have done it and it works well with the DD.

HarryM1BYT
19th June 2011, 16:33

It's a no contest between a clumsy CD changer and the little micros SD card. You can put hundreds of CD's worth of music on the card, so why bother with clumsy CD's? The card is the size of your little finger nail, so you can store hudreds of them in the space of a CD. If thats not enough, you can play music from your phone via bluetooth, or from your Ipod.

If you must put an odd CD in you can.

HarryM1BYT
19th June 2011, 17:04

It does a little bit more than that...

The RDS data identifies the station to both you (on the screen) and to the radio itself. The radio can then retune itself to the same station on a different frequency as you drive out of one area into another. It basically save you having to retune to a new frequency as you move from one reception area to another.

MisterTomez
19th June 2011, 17:39
It does a little bit more than that...

The RDS data identifies the station to both you (on the screen) and to the radio itself. The radio can then retune itself to the same station on a different frequency as you drive out of one area into another. It basically save you having to retune to a new frequency as you move from one reception area to another.

Thank you for those expansions on each of my descriptions Harry.