PDA

View Full Version : European campsites?

Hengist
15th June 2011, 13:25
Anybody recommend any? Anywhere between here and Budapest would do. :} Always on the lookout for somewhere new and interesting to stop on our annual trip across the continent.

Conversely, I can recommend a bunch of them in Luxembourg, Germany from Nurnberg downwards, Austria, Northern Italy, Slovenia, Prague and Hungary if anyone needs ...

Angus

Tractor Boy
21st June 2011, 09:58
Anybody recommend any? Anywhere between here and Budapest would do. :} Always on the lookout for somewhere new and interesting to stop on our annual trip across the continent.

Conversely, I can recommend a bunch of them in Luxembourg, Germany from Nurnberg downwards, Austria, Northern Italy, Slovenia, Prague and Hungary if anyone needs ...

Angus
Not much help to you Angus but if anyone is going to the Algarve I can recomend Camping Touriscampo in Espiche. Its about 4 miles from Lagos and 2 miles from Praia da Luz. It has a great reastaurant and bar with a large swimming pool. Saturday nights is a Brazilian bbq with more meat than is good for you and most weekends in the summer they have live music. The staff, all Brazilian, are very friendly and helpfull. we stay there for a month at a time and love it. see www.touriscampo.com (http://www.touriscampo.com)

Jack of hearts
21st June 2011, 22:31
I'd recommend the book 'cool camsites' Sorted our holiday out couple of years ago with great success

Hengist
23rd June 2011, 14:19
Excellent - have to pick that up for next year. :)

Good tent sites, off the top of my head:

Kockelscheuer Camping in Luxembourg - just outside the town in a very quiet area (if you don't mind the odd 747 flying over).

Ljubljana Resort Camping - clean, on-site restaurant, friendly staff.

Nurnberg campsite we always use is right beside the Exhibition Centre (Messe), not far from the Zeppelin Field. Peaceful site, in woods in the middle of the city, just down from Gestapo HQ!

Salzburg - Campingplatz Stadtblick on the northern perimeter of the city, again is clean and friendly with good food on-site. Gets very busy in season, though. Great views across the town to the castle and mountains.

Vienna - Camping West is handy, and not far from the main drag into town. Good pizza places and restaurants nearby.

Alternatively, Donaupark Camping at Klosterneuberg is a bit more relaxed, and is two minutes walk from the local train service into the city.

Melk, Austria - Camping Schonbuhel is right on the bank of the Danube. Once more, great grub on-site. Bring midge repellent, though - the Danube has plenty of the little blighters. Melk has a fantastic Abbey.

Torino - Camping Villa Rey, close to town. Very basic site, but very friendly - and Turin is a lovely city so well worth it.

Prague: Intercamp Kotva, Branik - adjacent to tram route into town, beside River Vltava. Peaceful and secure.

Angus

Jack of hearts
23rd June 2011, 16:23
http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/

That's the site :)

Hengist
20th July 2011, 10:06
Arrr, a few more from our recent trip:

Hallstatt in Austria has a good site right in the town, Camping Klaussner-Holl. A few hundred yards from the funicular that takes you up the Salzberg salt-mine mountain, and 5 minutes from the shore of the Lake.

Neckarsulm in SW Germany has a great site at Reisachmuhle, only a few km from Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum, and with a good schnitzel restaurant a couple of hundred yards away. There's apparently a good site at Rothenburg ob der Tauber too, but we didn't stay there this year as planned, because Nurnberg was more convenient.

Gwatt Camping on the shore of Lake Thun in Switzerland - good, clean site. You can hire a tiny electric car from them for 70 Euros a day too.

Camping Parisi at Baveno on the shore of Lago Maggiore in Northern Italy is excellent and friendly.

Camping Fusini on the western side of Venice lagoon is comprehensive and spacious with bar, restaurant, shops and a converted double-decker bus with internet PCs - and nowhere near as busy as Alba d'Oro beside Marco Polo airport (though they run a free shuttle bus over to Venice). It's also a 2-minute walk from the water-bus that takes you across to Venice every hour, returning on the half hour.

Camping Aquileia at the town of the same name just east of Venice is also a good site, and convenient for visiting the ginormous WW1 memorial at Redipuglia.

Angus