PDA

View Full Version : OVP The Next Chapter:

pab
30th June 2011, 08:07
Over the weekend, the team went to view 'OVP' the Club's S Reg and took a good look at its condition.

You can read all about it here S525 OVP - The Restoration (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=47828&page=2)

Now on to the very overdue next phase, and after the car is submitted for the MOT by Lates and is successful, I'm going to transport her to A & L Automotive in Doncaster. After conversations and meetings with proprietor and member on here Andy Willi he will assist us with the next stage.

This will include the cleaning of the engine bay, the interior trim parts which are missing will be replaced with sourced Cowley parts.

The exterior panels will need some work, but otherwise are in good order, however some exterior trim is damaged and will be replaced.

Andy has the choice of two paint sprayers, once the vehicle is on site he will advise us on the re-finish.

Further (and hopefully now) regular updates will be posted in the main progress thread, as we move to return this early example back to its former glory.

Robson Rover Repair
30th June 2011, 20:05
This is unquestionably wonderful news that the car is being sorted again. Once the mechanicals where sort it was only a matter of time before things come along again.

Is the car facing a full respray in original paint or just repairs to the areas in questions along with a paint correct to match?

andy willi
30th June 2011, 20:09
will see about the paint once its with me in a week or two cannot answer at the moment as i have not seen it but if it needs it i will do it full respray or just the bits

andy

Reebs
30th June 2011, 20:36
TBH, the paintwork and panels aren't that clever, nearly every panel has a crease, or scratch and there is lacquer missing in chunks in places.

The interior will scrub up a treat, but the exterior will need a good seeing to. Don't even want to think about costs, lets just see what the bodyshop pro's have to say about it first.

pab
30th June 2011, 21:14
will see about the paint once its with me in a week or two cannot answer at the moment as i have not seen it but if it needs it i will do it full respray or just the bits

andyAs previously discussed andy,i would regard the car to be in a much better state than i imagined.She has suffered a hard if not brutal life in the roles she has previously played.

Once this car is on site we can survey the panel damage and draw up a list of what particular areas need replacement or can be repaired.

I think perhaps a full refinish is required,but as i say we can update the situation regarding this at a later date.

Zeb
30th June 2011, 21:27
Jake had in mind a donor car not far from him with good panels in the correct colour.....

pab
30th June 2011, 21:35
Jake had in mind a donor car not far from him with good panels in the correct colour.....Many thanks for the information Zeb.

Fortunately i have found two early cowley cars which will act as donor vehicles, and the specification will match what i'm looking for.

Banjo
30th June 2011, 22:22
Great news - I will enjoy following her progress back to her former glory. She will be a real flagship for the club - ready for the NEC in November ?

Dragrad
1st July 2011, 01:18
Great news - I will enjoy following her progress back to her former glory. She will be a real flagship for the club - ready for the NEC in November ?
As for the NEC this year? ....... no promises, Pab will do his best. But she does need quite a bit of body work to be in shape for the NEC in November.

We do not want to present her as a WIP, more of a presentable and finished project of an early 75 model :D

baconbuttyman
4th July 2011, 07:43
s there anything we mere mortals can do to help?, i dunno?, donate filler etc, Obviously we can't physically do things, but anyway, the question stands!

Robson Rover Repair
4th July 2011, 09:37
True, an updated parts list might be an idea, id rather donate it to the car than bin certain bits or ebay them for a minimal gain.

starbug2
4th July 2011, 09:53
be nice to see the car sorted

andy willi
23rd July 2011, 18:17
have now got the finishing parts to get ovp through an mot and they are on the way to lates and with all the luck in the world it will be mot,d this next week and i have arranged transport to doncaster so i can start on the next part of the restoration thanks to pab for his help and stocktake for his donation and to a few others , watch this space as it will now be moving forward again and hopefully making a few trips to meets later on in the year

andy

Tatts
23rd July 2011, 18:21
Excellent!

Andy, if you need a hand with the cleaning/prep, just give me a shout. If I'm on my days off, it'll stop me getting bored.

andy willi
23rd July 2011, 18:40
your hired pm your phone no will be calling and anyone else who wants to help

andy

pab
23rd July 2011, 18:48
Andy many thanks for going to see are mutual friend Daz at Doncaster auto breakers,who seems very keen on the project and has previously agreed to help with all the parts we require.

I'm now in possession of the bumper loom,ambient air sensor and a n/s indicator lamp,stocktake and BigRuss are paying me a visit at home on Tuesday and for good measure stocktake will donate a o/s unit.

With the required parts available to me they will be sent out to Lates and the car can subjected to the MOT test.Andy has advised me that he has a guy on standby to trailer the vehicle to his workshops.

Tatts, i would like to thank you also for your kind offer of your spare time,which will be gratefully received.

Tatts
23rd July 2011, 18:55
your hired pm your phone no will be calling and anyone else who wants to help

Just so you know Andy, I work 7 days on/7 days off. I'm back on shift this Monday. If my phone goes to voice mail, I'm either sleeping off the night shifts, or I've forgot to turn it on!

PM on it's way.

Robson Rover Repair
24th July 2011, 06:26
Id love to donate something to the cause just so theres a part of my car on it. ;)

This is great news, a club car is always a good thing.

Brabus
5th September 2011, 22:27
Just read the progress post.Great to see it coming along.Hope all goes well at mot :}

Greeners
8th September 2011, 14:51
Good effort glad to see some progress.

Does it not need a pair of Bullet mirrors rather then the later ones ?

pab
8th September 2011, 15:07
Good effort glad to see some progress.

Does it not need a pair of Bullet mirrors rather then the later ones ?David,yes it requires the early type mirrors,which i think i have,but the caps will need refinishing.I recall the electric movement of the mirror on the drivers side was not working,either the switch pack or the mirror is at fault.

Lates
9th September 2011, 13:51
Excellent!

Andy, if you need a hand with the cleaning/prep, just give me a shout. If I'm on my days off, it'll stop me getting bored.

Sheesh Tatts you must be bored there is a lot of polish residue on the interior.Would of given a mop and bucket last week if you asked ;)

On a side note are there plans in place to move this car Sunday ? I am under the impression it had to be done pre the 18th.

Pete and I are not available next weekend for collection.

Lates
13th September 2011, 08:58
Any news gents on collection ?

starbug2
13th September 2011, 17:07
Any news gents on collection ?
any news full stop ?

Lates
13th September 2011, 17:27
OVP now has a MOT if this is of good news :D

Bolin
13th September 2011, 17:49
Great stuff! It's good to see that club members are able to work together and get this project moving along under it's own steam - hats off to everybody's efforts:)

starbug2
13th September 2011, 18:32
yes it is :bowdown:

sworks
14th September 2011, 05:53

excellent work :bowdown:

carguy143
14th September 2011, 21:23
That's great news.
It's been great to read this from start to finish and see how much this project has come on.

Rik.

Brabus
14th September 2011, 21:38
Great work.Hope the project keeps moving.Great to see it progress.:}

pbaker
27th September 2011, 23:28
I will probally be shot for what I am about say but here goes. I appreciate EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY working on ovp. I think that as an expermental car [was it] it should have been kept as such with all its odd bits to show how it had been treated at the the factory. yes,make it completely road worthy. make all that dont work, work. making it look like a new /original car I think loses its history. a good clean inside and out would have sufficed. changing its odd bits to proper was history now consigned to history. what does it matter that it has a few dents and the paintwork is scruvvy, it was all part of its "charm"?. I have felt this way for a long time and wanted to say [WITHOUT critismn of all the helpers] it on air. thats me done, now waiting for the flack. nite nite all you late lookers

eumjmorris
28th September 2011, 10:04
That's an interesting point of view, and I for one can see the argument has merit.
This is the same as the dilemma for many museums such as the NRM, now, do they recondition railway artifacts or leave as is and unusable, do they recon and keep the old bits to show the previous history..etc etc. I guess for OVP it's too late and it has moved on quite some way now. Knew the car at Longbridge, passed it every day at N gate.

pbaker
28th September 2011, 10:24
morning Mike. first response, no flack good start. perhaps you or a mod can tell me why I cannot find my posting as of last nite. was trying to find it when u popped up. not very good at finding my way around the forum at times.

pbaker
28th September 2011, 10:29
well,well well. just had another look and there it is!. seems to have shown up after Mikes posting. Peter

Reebs
28th September 2011, 10:44
Interesting angle on this to be sure. But I think the original thrust of OVP apart from saving it from the crusher as one of the earliest examples that had a history, was to use it as a How-To project in renovation and restoration for members to walk through.

Also, having seen the car close up, it really doesn't do the marque any favours.

BTW, if you ever want to quickly find any of your posts, click User CP (top left), then Your Profile then Statistics to get to 'Find all posts by pbaker'

:smilie_re: All Posts By pbaker (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=4048861)

Or just find any post you've made, then click on your username to the left and from the drop down select 'find more post by pbaker'

Roverowner
29th September 2011, 12:49
I will probally be shot for what I am about say but here goes. I appreciate EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY working on ovp. I think that as an expermental car [was it] it should have been kept as such with all its odd bits to show how it had been treated at the the factory. yes,make it completely road worthy. make all that dont work, work. making it look like a new /original car I think loses its history. a good clean inside and out would have sufficed. changing its odd bits to proper was history now consigned to history. what does it matter that it has a few dents and the paintwork is scruvvy, it was all part of its "charm"?. I have felt this way for a long time and wanted to say [WITHOUT critismn of all the helpers] it on air. thats me done, now waiting for the flack. nite nite all you late lookers

I agree with you to a point. I think that the car had gone beyond the -nicely worn- stage and needed bringing back to the condition it was in when it was a-star-. The subsequent use as a runabout at Longbridge and then a hybrid MG to please the chinese doesn“t need to be shown on the car. A few photos and a paragraph in it“s history would suffice.

My car is older than this one and has had some bumps since it came off the line 12th November 1998. It“s had a bump at the back and has been repaired with a new bumper and boot lid. The bumper is all one colour as are the reverse sensors. The boot lid has a lable with 2001 on it. MGR sold it in 2003 and I suspect the bump ocurred before they sold it. As this is a part of the cars history I will keep it like that. The car is in very good condition which was not the case with the club car.....:)

Bolin
29th September 2011, 19:02
This is a fundamental problem in all areas regarding restoration, be it for cars, trains, planes or buildings.

I remember chairing a seminar on this issue whilst at university, discussing the merits of restoring historic buildings to 'original' condition, or whether to preserve the 'added history' as it showed how it had been used and adapted through the ages, and also what to do with historic buildings going forward i.e. whether to leave them exactly as they are now or whether new alterations should be allow to continue the functionality of a building (after all they are built to be used, not as some giant museum piece). It was a very interesting debate, with a strong mix of opinions for/against (as always with archaeology students, lots of strong differing views, very little consensus!!).

In the case of OVP, in it's current state it looks especially confused, with Rover and MG features making it look like some sort of illegitimate love-child. And with a car of it's age, it wouldn't really be able to pull off the 'used, patina' effect that would be acceptable on a car that is typically 30+ years old - OVP would just appear scruffy to most people, probably detracting from what it is, rather than creating any great interest for the car and model line.

What is important in this case is to preserve the history of the car, much of which is in this sub-forum and could be presented on display boards alongside the finished car, so that it is not forgotten, and instead communicated to those who view the finished car.

BTW no flak at all towards pbaker - he makes an extremely important point about preserving the history of OVP, although in this specific case I disagree about how it should be done, I definitely agree that the history must be preserved in some manner.

tonybubble
22nd October 2011, 19:18
What happened with the MOT? Not sure that this is the right place, but the OVP restoration thread is now closed?

pab
22nd October 2011, 19:54
What happened with the MOT? Not sure that this is the right place, but the OVP restoration thread is now closed? This (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=47828&page=2) thread contains recent pictures and developments regarding work. At the end of thread it shows the car loaded on a trailer to be taken for the MOT test of which the car passed.

tonybubble
22nd October 2011, 19:57
This (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=47828&page=2) thread contains recent pictures and developments regarding work. At the end of thread it shows the car loaded on a trailer to be taken for the MOT test of which the car passed.

Thank-you. :}

Jake
22nd October 2011, 22:37
Out of interest Pab, what's the timescale (if any) for getting OVP out on the road? Although I am well aware that the NEC is out of the question, would an appearence at next years POL/National weekend be viable do you think?

Reebs
22nd October 2011, 23:07
That is certainly the intention Jake. OVP was never going to make an appearence at this years NEC, Christopher was very clear on that point, and TBH I would have to agree, as the condition of the bodywork although illustrative of the life the car has had and the neglect it has suffered, would simply let the marque down at such an important event.

Jake
22nd October 2011, 23:13
That is certainly the intention Jake. OVP was never going to make an appearence at this years NEC, Christopher was very clear on that point, and TBH I would have to agree, as the condition of the bodywork although illustrative of the life the car has had and the neglect it has suffered, would simply let the marque down at such an important event.

That's understandable Paul, especially when the quality of the examples at last years stand I spent time with you at was second to none. With the cars close history to Longbridge it will be nice to see it at next years POL.

Will the car be staying in down south or is it moving up to the North at some point? As I understand Pab is now overseeing the project?

Reebs
22nd October 2011, 23:25
Yes Lates has been reimbursed for his time and work on OVP, and a new home for it while work is undertaken has been found by Pab close to him. We currently await the paperwork to get it taxed and insured for road use once more. Pab is your man on this project.

Jake
22nd October 2011, 23:28
Yes Lates has been reimbursed for his time and work on OVP, and a new home for it while work is undertaken has been found by Pab close to him. We currently await the paperwork to get it taxed and insured for road use once more.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate you taking the time to reply, that's great news and I am glad to hear that the project is now underway.

P.s. What time is it over there, as I'm really confused - my PC, E-mail and phone are all giving me different times!:getmecoat:

Rabett_Rover
22nd October 2011, 23:32
P.s. What time is it over there, as I'm really confused - my PC, E-mail and phone are all giving me different times!:getmecoat:

00:32 am :D

Jake
22nd October 2011, 23:37
00:32 am :D

Cheers Lewis! :o:}

Reebs
22nd October 2011, 23:39
Which means it must be now 01:39 for you Jake. Is there nothing doing on a Saturday night where you are then :drunk: :getmecoat:

Jake
22nd October 2011, 23:44
Which means it must be now 01:39 for you Jake. Is there nothing doing on a Saturday night where you are then :drunk: :getmecoat:

Errm,:o there probably is but the last time I went out I had to stay with a friend because I was far too drunk to work out the VERY confusing German door opening procedure for my flat.

I also may have spent far too much money on parts for the cars as well....:getmecoat::D

pab
14th November 2011, 20:22
On Sunday morning having taken a few hours off from the club stand at the NEC, I made my way over to Dunchurch to meet up with Christopher.After a discussion the previous afternoon we decided to move the car to his house.

As previously stated the car now has a current MOT and the rest of the documentation is in order.

The car was ready and waiting for our arrival having had a telephone conversation with Lates on Saturday evening..

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu22/pab17964/007-3.jpg

With Christopher behind the wheel I followed behind to make sure that everything went well,this is the first time the car has been on the open road under it's own steam in such a long time..and she looked quite at home on the open road.

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu22/pab17964/008-5.jpg

The next stop is the body shop..

baconbuttyman
16th November 2011, 13:07
wow, looking good, a credit to you all

baconbuttyman
16th November 2011, 13:08
what is the ultimate aim for the car, would be a shame if it was only viewed at a few shows

Reebs
16th November 2011, 13:56
That is undecided at this stage. I would imagine that the short term goal is to get it back to its former glory and bring it to Nationals and The NEC (when presentable enough).

At the end of the day it's a car, you either use it to drive around in on a daily basis, or keep it special for Sunday best.

If driven lots, the miles would soon rack up and eventually it would have to be retired. Surely better to keep it as 'youthful' as possible especially as the years roll by. Preservation of a piece of car making heritage, much like the first and last 75's housed at Gaydon I would have thought is best for the 'old gal.

baconbuttyman
16th November 2011, 15:03
That is undecided at this stage. I would imagine that the short term goal is to get it back to its former glory and bring it to Nationals and The NEC (when presentable enough).

At the end of the day it's a car, you either use it to drive around in on a daily basis, or keep it special for Sunday best.

If driven lots, the miles would soon rack up and eventually it would have to be retired. Surely better to keep it as 'youthful' as possible especially as the years roll by. Preservation of a piece of car making heritage, much like the first and last 75's housed at Gaydon I would have thought is best for the 'old gal.

thats what i thought, couldnt you "lend" it to a car museum for safe keeping then use it take to national shows etc

pab
16th November 2011, 15:53
Mick,if you look through this forum which is dedicated to OVP,you will see it's not had the easiest life.The intention was never aimed to make the car a daily runner.

Once the car is back in a presentable condition it will be displayed at National meets,POL,where it can go back to it's former home and to as many local meets as possible for the benefit of the members,and perhaps a gallery could be compiled within these pages.

The rest of the time it will remain in storage until the day of retirement looms.

Jake
16th November 2011, 15:57
Arguably though why should the car be retired? As long as there's a club and a group of people dedicated to keeping it on the road, there's no reason why the car shouldn't be useable. Granted it may well have to have a head gasket or 2, but certainly rot will never be an issue.

Which when you consider that we still see P4/5/and 6's means that we should see Rover 75's still for a good few decades to come surely...

pab
16th November 2011, 16:08
Very true Jake,when i mention the word 'retired' that could be a long time away.The car is aimed at the pleasure of the members and while they want to see the car it will be available.

Engine wise,the car is as sweet as a nut.I was amazed at how smooth the engine sounded and Christopher mentioned it drove a treat.

Robson Rover Repair
17th November 2011, 00:45
Any more photos of her.

I always wondered should she wear a set of alloys instead of the black steelies. :bowdown:

Dragrad
17th November 2011, 00:52
Once the car is back in a presentable condition it will be displayed at National meets,POL,where it can go back to it's former home and to as many local meets as possible for the benefit of the members,and perhaps a gallery could be compiled within these pages.
Sbenyon, a new member, has offered a lift & tilt trailer to the Club to provide a tilted view of the car at any time that we may require it FOC ;):D Ideal for when the car becomes "presentable" at a National meet or other :D:D:D

pab
17th November 2011, 07:31
Any more photos of her.

I always wondered should she wear a set of alloys instead of the black steelies. :bowdown:Any recent pictures can be viewed if you go back over this thread,I tend to take a couple on the iPhone.

Regarding the wheels,she sits on a brand new set of steel wheels and branded tyres,the wheel trims are hard to find unlike a set of 15'' alloys.

The restoration is to bring the car up to it's former glory and all the trim will be of the same as the original specification.

Tim_Burgess
17th November 2011, 09:30
Any recent pictures can be viewed if you go back over this thread,I tend to take a couple on the iPhone.

Regarding the wheels,she sits on a brand new set of steel wheels and branded tyres,the wheel trims are hard to find unlike a set of 15'' alloys.

The restoration is to bring the car up to it's former glory and all the trim will be of the same as the original specification.

I think the plastic trim is the same as the post '95 Rover 820i. Might help broaden your search a bit.

Not that it helps but a dealer in Helensburgh has a 54 plate Classic in ATM with them on.

Banjo
17th November 2011, 09:39
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=rover+75+wheel+trims

There are a few on ebay - I dont know what style OVP would have had originally, but this may help

Tim_Burgess
17th November 2011, 17:16
This is the correct style:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Rover-75-15-Wheel-Trim-/270854304457?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item3f102cb2c9

pab
17th November 2011, 19:17

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Rover-75-15-Wheel-Trim-/270854304457?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item3f102cb2c9 Many thanks for the link Tim,as previously stated these are now becoming thin on the ground..

CDTi
17th November 2011, 19:28

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Rover-75-15-Wheel-Trim-/270854304457?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item3f102cb2c9I think I have a set of these trims. Almost new - were on the car for a hundred miles before I got alloys. I might have dumped them - I can't remember.

They would have the facelift logo, though. Any good? I'll have a root in my shed if they are suitable.

pab
17th November 2011, 19:31
I think I have a set of these trims. Almost new - were on the car for a hundred miles before I got alloys. I might have dumped them - I can't remember.

They would have the facelift logo, though. Any good? I'll have a root in my shed if they are suitable.That would be great if you still have them.I'm sure i can sort the logo problem :}

CDTi
17th November 2011, 19:34
That would be great if you still have them.I'm sure i can sort the logo problem :}I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know if I still have them.

pab
17th November 2011, 19:37
I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know if I still have them.Superb,thank you..

CDTi
18th November 2011, 13:15
I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know if I still have them.I had to have a long look in my shed but I still have them :}

I'll need a week or so to get a box for posting. Actually I'll probably try and get them couriered over as I'm in Ireland and the postage to the UK for a box like that would be excessive.

Robson Rover Repair
18th November 2011, 20:30
Maybe we could find a way of getting them up to NI and I could post them over at a much cheaper cost.

pab
19th November 2011, 07:43
I had to have a long look in my shed but I still have them :}

I'll need a week or so to get a box for posting. Actually I'll probably try and get them couriered over as I'm in Ireland and the postage to the UK for a box like that would be excessive.brilliant..I will be in touch by pm.

Maybe we could find a way of getting them up to NI and I could post them over at a much cheaper cost.That's a good idea,much cheaper option..

CDTi
19th November 2011, 13:51
Maybe we could find a way of getting them up to NI and I could post them over at a much cheaper cost.Good idea and given a bit of time I'm sure someone would be passing both our ways and get the trims to you Colin.

But that could take a while and its probably best to get them couriered. I expect an approximate cost of £20 (ish).

Robson Rover Repair
22nd November 2011, 00:34
I could ship them for £5 max using my parcel sites and stuff. :}

Maybe try parcel2go or senditnow as they opperate via royal mail and irish mail.

Brabus
28th March 2012, 17:16
Any more updates or progress about the old girl:}

Reebs
28th March 2012, 20:01
Not a great deal at the mo, but the car will be at the National Meet next month for all to see :}

starbug2
28th March 2012, 20:09
Not a great deal at the mo, but the car will be at the National Meet next month for all to see :}
what about POL ?

Reebs
28th March 2012, 20:21
Sorry Stephen just the National. Christopher is bringing it on the Sunday, but is not certain he will be able to make it for POL too.

starbug2
28th March 2012, 20:22
Sorry Stephen just the National. Christopher is bringing it on the Sunday, but is not certain he will be able to make it for POL too.
a shame :getmecoat: some one else will have to take photos of it .....

pab
28th March 2012, 20:29
If the POL is a possibility it will be looked into.

I noticed a pair of foglight blanking covers in the ''Freebies'' section,if my memory serves me correctly we were short of these.

ZedTeeTee
28th March 2012, 21:26
If the POL is a possibility it will be looked into.

I noticed a pair of foglight blanking covers in the ''Freebies'' section,if my memory serves me correctly we were short of these.

If those have gone, I have a set you can have. Looking back through the thread, I also have a door stay if required, in fact with regards to door trim / rubbers etc bear in mind I have a load of spares which you are welcome to. I'm sure I can find some way of getting larger items to you - the blanks / door stay can be posted if needed.

Perhaps posting up a wanted list might help - I know just the section :p:

Dragrad
28th March 2012, 22:43
If those have gone, I have a set you can have. Looking back through the thread, I also have a door stay if required, in fact with regards to door trim / rubbers etc bear in mind I have a load of spares which you are welcome to. I'm sure I can find some way of getting larger items to you - the blanks / door stay can be posted if needed.

Very kind of you Sir,:bowdown: I am sure that Pab will get back in touch soon :D

pab
29th March 2012, 09:29

Mofo,superb,your a Gent.Many thanks for the kind offer. :)

ZedTeeTee
29th March 2012, 11:03
Mofo,superb,your a Gent.Many thanks for the kind offer. :)

No problem - just let me know the best way to get them to you. I can post, or pass them onto someone to take down to the National? :cool:

suzublu
29th March 2012, 21:02
I'm going to the National Chris if that's any help????Bring them to the Metro & i'll take them off you for delivery down there :shrug:

ZedTeeTee
29th March 2012, 21:24
I'm going to the National Chris if that's any help????Bring them to the Metro & i'll take them off you for delivery down there :shrug:

Sounds like a plan, looks like a plan, so let's call it a plan ;)

suzublu
29th March 2012, 21:28
Sounds like a plan, looks like a plan, so let's call it a plan ;)
Shall we call this plan "A" then?

pab
29th March 2012, 21:29
Sounds like a plan, looks like a plan, so let's call it a plan ;)Because it is a plan,and a very good one.

I will draw up a list of what is required,trim wise and get back to you. :)

ZedTeeTee
29th March 2012, 21:39
Shall we call this plan "A" then?

Yup - we shall indeed.

Because it is a plan,and a very good one.

I will draw up a list of what is required,trim wise and get back to you. :)

No problem - I shall let you know what I can provide trim wise, and will send everything with my batman. ;)

carlpenn
31st March 2012, 22:14
Guys, I assume the interior is Ash Grey / Smokestone? If so, I will have 4 x Door Cards in clean condition from a "W" Reg (Just tracking down 4 x replacement cards for me) also if needed I have a complete headlining from the same "W" Reg in light smokestone to donate, Not sure what other bits I have lying around but if I have what you need consider it a done :)

Reebs
1st April 2012, 00:05
What we are really on the look out for most is a set of 15" steel wheel hub caps as fitted to the Classic. (First picture)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/958484fa429c147b.jpg

If anyone can help, please get in touch :bowdown:

andyg2011
1st April 2012, 06:56
What we are really on the look out for most is a set of 15" steel wheel hub caps as fitted to the Classic. (First picture)

Ill have a look around the north west area for u guys

carlpenn
1st April 2012, 07:13

These are still available from Rimmers but not cheap:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001557

15" (6J) = £77 each and (6.5j) = £105 :O

The Wheel trims are £31 each :shrug:

Theres a Chap on Ebay selling a Wheel, maybe he has all four?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-STEEL-WHEEL-AND-GOOD-TYRE-195-65-R15-/270920684600?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f14219438

Reebs
1st April 2012, 07:37
Good spot, but it's just the hub caps that are needed and that's the problem. £124 for a new set of four seems a little steep, and we already have the road wheels on the car. As you say, maybe a call to the seller to see if they'll let the hub caps go alone might be in order :shrug:

Because the majority of 75s were fitted with alloys, it actually makes it harder to track down this type of wheel trim especially at the breakers yard.

carlpenn
1st April 2012, 07:46
Good spot, but it's just the hub caps that are needed and that's the problem. £124 for a new set of four seems a little steep, and we already have the road wheels on the car. As you say, maybe a call to the seller to see if they'll let the hub caps go alone might be in order :shrug:

Because the majority of 75s were fitted with alloys, it actually makes it harder to track down this type of wheel trim especially at the breakers yard.

hiya Reebs, although not at all helpful (unless I turn to crime :p) but we have a Green X Plate 75 in at the Moment with these Hub Caps, it is teh first time I have ever seen a 75 with them on.

I will keep my eye on the local breakers too, they have a few 75's in every few months

Reebs
1st April 2012, 07:52
Thanks Carl :bowdown: I've been on the lookout for sometime myself, but if we can get at extra 17,952 pairs of eyes on the case, maybe we'll have a better chance ;)

rotrex
2nd April 2012, 19:34
I have kept a look out for these since first mentioned a while back. still never seen a 75 with steel wheels on though. I did have one b/new never been fitted original steel wheel and tyre for a while but its gone now.

likewise any wee bit I can help with just ask ;)

Roverowner
2nd April 2012, 21:44
I have kept a look out for these since first mentioned a while back. still never seen a 75 with steel wheels on though. I did have one b/new never been fitted original steel wheel and tyre for a while but its gone now.

likewise any wee bit I can help with just ask ;)

I“ve got some spotless Crowns but like these quite a lot:)

CDTi
2nd April 2012, 23:37
Apologies for the delay in getting back about the wheel trims.

Can someone PM the address to where I can the send the trims?

I will get them couriered this week sometime.

Reebs
2nd April 2012, 23:48
Did I miss something crucial :eek: have you got a set :drool4:

CDTi
2nd April 2012, 23:54
I think I have a set of these trims. Almost new - were on the car for a hundred miles before I got alloys. I might have dumped them - I can't remember.

They would have the facelift logo, though. Any good? I'll have a root in my shed if they are suitable.

I had to have a long look in my shed but I still have them :}

I'll need a week or so to get a box for posting. Actually I'll probably try and get them couriered over as I'm in Ireland and the postage to the UK for a box like that would be excessive.See above.

A combination of forgetting about them and getting a suitable box has seen about 4 months pass :o

Reebs
2nd April 2012, 23:56

pab
3rd April 2012, 08:08
A combination of forgetting about them and getting a suitable box has seen about 4 months pass :oI remember the offer you made very well,and it's very much appreciated.

These wheel trims are rarer than the rarest alloys. :)

ssizefive
7th April 2012, 20:21
Are these the correct trims you are looking for? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-wheel-trims-set-four-Size-15-inch-Genuine-rover-parts-/330714330753?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item4d001c3681

Steve

pab
7th April 2012, 20:34
Are these the correct trims you are looking for? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-wheel-trims-set-four-Size-15-inch-Genuine-rover-parts-/330714330753?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item4d001c3681

Steve
Yes, they are the very item. :)

Rabett_Rover
7th April 2012, 20:38

Good thing a local member has asked if the seller has a buy it now, so they might have them to take to a certain meet on the 15th;)

ssizefive
7th April 2012, 20:39

We shall have to keep an eye on them

Steve

andyg2011
7th April 2012, 20:58
Am watching them. Do we know how much the buy it is ? ?

pab
7th April 2012, 21:02
Member CDTi has made a generous offer to supply us with a set of these,I'm not sure of the state of play,but perhaps he will update us shortly.

Rabett_Rover
7th April 2012, 21:07
Member CDTi has made a generous offer to supply us with a set of these,I'm not sure of the state of play,but perhaps he will update us shortly.

Well I can pick these up on Monday for a BIN of £20.00. Let me know what you want to do?

andyg2011
7th April 2012, 21:08
Sounds great pab hopėfully an update soon would confirm this. Ill keep a close eye out for the ebay ones as u never know.

Reebs
7th April 2012, 21:12
CDTI has arranged a courier to deliver his set to us for Tuesday, so I think we are already sorted on these guys :bowdown:

andyg2011
7th April 2012, 21:16
CDTI has arranged a courier to deliver his set to us for Tuesday, so I think we are already sorted on these guys :bowdown:

Thats super reebs.,.. So wot do we need next. ? Keep us informed as we would all like to help if we can

ZedTeeTee
7th April 2012, 22:46
I shall pass the fog blanks and door stay onto Suzublu tomorrow - happy to help the good cause ;)

pab
8th April 2012, 11:28
I shall pass the fog blanks and door stay onto Suzublu tomorrow - happy to help the good cause ;)Thanks for this Mofo,these and the wheel trims will make such an improvement.:)

suzublu
8th April 2012, 17:07
I now have the bits kindly donated by Chris (mofo) for delivery to the National,for this old heap,sorry,fine early example:getmecoat::D

CDTi
8th April 2012, 18:24
The tracking on the wheel trims show their current location as Coventry.

Assuming that you guys in the UK have a Bank Holiday tomorrow, they should be delivered next Tuesday.

Canonite
10th April 2012, 22:15
Perhaps a 'Wanted for OVP' list in the OVP section?
This could also give us a kind of live update as to what is needed if we can see it in the list.

Reebs
10th April 2012, 22:23
The wheel trims arrived today folks and will be fitted to the old gal for Sunday :cool: Many thanks to CDTi :bowdown:

CDTi
10th April 2012, 22:28
The wheel trims arrived today folks and will be fitted to the old gal for Sunday :cool: Many thanks to CDTi :bowdown:Glad to hear they arrived OK.

Sorry I didn't clean them before despatch but you will have some nice Irish road muck on OVP now ;)

Jezzer 1
11th April 2012, 12:06
Did I miss something crucial :eek: have you got a set :drool4:

Paul,

There is a set of wheel trims on Fleabay now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-wheel-trims-set-four-Size-15-inch-Genuine-rover-parts-/330714330753?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item4d001c3681

May be of use:

And a new single item here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Rover-75-15-wheel-trim-New-and-unmarked-/200740484828?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item2ebd10b6dc

starbug2
11th April 2012, 16:18
any chance of it making it to POL?

Reebs
12th April 2012, 07:35
Paul,

There is a set of wheel trims on Fleabay now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-wheel-trims-set-four-Size-15-inch-Genuine-rover-parts-/330714330753?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item4d001c3681

May be of use:

And a new single item here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Rover-75-15-wheel-trim-New-and-unmarked-/200740484828?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre _Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item2ebd10b6dc

Thanks Jeremy, but we are now sorted with the trims donated by CDTi :bowdown:

pab
16th April 2012, 20:14
Well she made her way to the National,albeit on a low loader.Many thanks to CDTi for the wheel trims and to Mofo for the fog light blanking covers.

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu22/pab17964/388f0f9f.jpg

sworks
16th April 2012, 20:27
This was the first time I had seen it and was better than I expected!

pab
16th April 2012, 20:37
The car is suffering from fuel starvation,she will start and can be driven gently,but under acceleration she will cut,and become very difficult to start.

Andi Willi managed to get into the car with his Delphi Diagnostic equipment and discovered a few old fault codes which he printed off.Interrogating the car again nothing out of the ordinary showed up to concern us with the problem.

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu22/pab17964/cbc37244.jpg

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu22/pab17964/33913b9d.jpg

The previous evening Sworks and myself discussed the issue and agreed that the fuel pump and possibly the filter could be the issue.The car had been stood for a great length of time with water in the fuel tank,which has probably damaged the pump.

Also during the course of the cars life it will have been topped up with gerry cans containing contaminated fuel,so the filter could be clogged.

The plan is to source a good second hand tank containing the pump and filter,which will be the easiest and cheapest option.

suzublu
16th April 2012, 21:18
This was the first time I had seen it and was better than I expected!
I've taken bits off better cars than this in the scrappy :shrug::getmecoat::D

sworks
16th April 2012, 21:20
I've taken bits off better cars than this in the scrappy :shrug::getmecoat::D

I've had to MOT worse :D

pab
16th April 2012, 21:28
I've taken bits off better cars than this in the scrappy :shrug::getmecoat::DPerhaps I have too,but nothing takes away the history of this car,and to a true enthusiast this car is amongst those at the top of the tree.

All these cars are worth saving and scrap yards are an easy option.

suzublu
16th April 2012, 21:41
Well if the car is so special,why doesn't the club just pay to have it restored:shrug: The club must make a few thousand a year in subs:shrug:Or is that for something else:shrug:

Unclefista
16th April 2012, 22:07
The "club" is a limited company, not a club in the classic sense.
I'm not saying that's bad, it's just not very clear (at least it wasn't when I was searching) :)

suzublu
16th April 2012, 22:10
The "club" is a limited company, not a club in the classic sense.
I'm not saying that's bad, it's just not very clear (at least it wasn't when I was searching) :)
Oh please,don't go there :getmecoat::confused:

suzublu
16th April 2012, 22:33
Tough question obviously:shrug:only been a few years:shrug:Where does the money go :shrug:

CDTi
16th April 2012, 22:49
Well she made her way to the National,albeit on a low loader.Many thanks to CDTi for the wheel trims and to Mofo for the fog light blanking covers.

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu22/pab17964/388f0f9f.jpgGlad to see the trims on board.

Someone even cleaned them :D.

Brabus
16th April 2012, 23:18
Good to see that she made it to the show.The old girl is starting to take shape.:}

Unclefista
17th April 2012, 00:03
Tough question obviously:shrug:only been a few years:shrug:Where does the money go :shrug:

As far as I can tell, there's no mention officially on the site that this forum is a limited company.
Due to the word "club" in the name, a lot of people assume that this is a none profit making collaboration of enthusiasts, which is understandable.

It's for this kind of reason the law changed in 2007 requiring limited companies to include on their website the company name, their registered address and company registration number.

I think it would be much clearer to members if this information was included on the site.

Anyway, this is off topic, no more from me :)

Roverowner
17th April 2012, 06:51
As far as I can tell, there's no mention officially on the site that this forum is a limited company.
Due to the word "club" in the name, a lot of people assume that this is a none profit making collaboration of enthusiasts, which is understandable.

It's for this kind of reason the law changed in 2007 requiring limited companies to include on their website the company name, their registered address and company registration number.

I think it would be much clearer to members if this information was included on the site.

Anyway, this is off topic, no more from me :)

Unfortunately your wrong. Dear old Christopher et al -own- everything. Decide policy, who is right and who is wrong. Always been a bit hard for me to swallow, being fanatically in favour of one man one vote. Why I am I still here then:shrug: All the fantastic MEMBERS that make the -club- what it is. I have the oldest car in the club and of course as I actually own it I get all the bits etc myself and pay up front. Don“t expect donations from others on a car that I own. C“est la vie....

I see that the -free- wheel trims managed to get onto the car for the meet, looks much better. Just get a member to spray the front and donate a nice grill

Roverowner
17th April 2012, 07:04
Perhaps I have too,but nothing takes away the history of this car,and to a true enthusiast this car is amongst those at the top of the tree.

All these cars are worth saving and scrap yards are an easy option.

I agree (believe it or not:D) The history of the car plus a large bonus - the spec. You might think that a bit wierd but it must be one of the very few examples left with the rock bottom basic spec. Fantastic. Most of the others (like mine) have all the toys, but there are quite a few of these around. If it was mine (and as said I don“t own it) I would get it back to the original spec in everything, seats, trim the lot. The lower dash strip that is devoid of -buttons- is great as is the lack of -electrikery- Should really be parked next to number one off the production line that is in Gaydon;)

pbaker
18th April 2012, 23:26
I made a comment on this car some time ago. I think that making OVP look like it has just come from the assembly line has lost its history, the history being what it became and did at the factory. it has no curiosity value now. it is now becoming another well looked after car!. top marks for all those making it mechanicaly fit and sound, changing all the cosmetic odd bits just makes another car. I was not able to go to the meets but I hope there is a photographic history of it. thats my rant over, good night to all Peter

Robson Rover Repair
19th April 2012, 01:24
Thats true, if it was stickered up as a "longbridge" safety vehicle it would be good banter ;)

Roverowner
19th April 2012, 10:07
Can still be done. Either that or made up as it was on the numerous photo shoots. (police etc). That it was let to rot by our eastern friends should of course be documented

Ros3
2nd May 2012, 01:17
It would just be nice to see this motor in one piece and finished.:)

starbug2
3rd May 2012, 15:42
It would just be nice to see this motor in one piece and finished.:)
agreed , what is the current state of it ?

keeftheduck
11th May 2012, 19:57
While its in Donny I'd be happy to help on a weekend if Andy needs another pair of hands etc...I'm very good with a kettle!

Jay
20th May 2012, 17:01
Hasn't OVP won some type of award for being the longest 75 to be held on retention:confused:
What condition is it in now out of interest.

Edit. I'm starting to feel sorry for it. Like a boat out of water.

Reebs
20th May 2012, 17:21
Jay the poor running issue (which caused it to arrive on a trailer for the National) has been fixed as of last Tuesday.

The fuel tank had a gallon of mud and rubbish in there so Christopher tells us, the fuel filter was on the verge of collapse so a replacement tank/pump/filter combo has been put in and the old fuel for the most part discarded as it was so contaminated. It ticks over and pulls fine now and Christopher has taken it for a good run to road test it.

The car is taxed and insured so not on retention as such. What it needs now is a bodyshop quote or two. Cleaning and cosmetic refurb now required as I understand it.

Hope that helps.

Jay
20th May 2012, 17:28
Jay the poor running issue (which caused it to arrive on a trailer for the National) has been fixed as of last Tuesday.

The fuel tank had a gallon of mud and rubbish in there so Christopher tells us, the fuel filter was on the verge of collapse so a replacement tank/pump/filter combo has been put in and the old fuel for the most part discarded as it was so contaminated. It ticks over and pulls fine now and Christopher has taken it for a good run to road test it.

The car is taxed and insured so not on retention as such. What it needs now is a bodyshop quote or two. Cleaning and cosmetic refurb now required as I understand it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for putting me in the picture Paul:}

Reebs
20th May 2012, 18:14
The boss has sent me a picture too. It's had a clean and is no longer on the lawn :getmecoat:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/reebspics/5ae8004c.jpg~original

A list of missing bits is being compiled this week I'm told, and we've had lots of offers of help with this from various members so thanks for that :bowdown:

Steve916
20th May 2012, 18:18
It just needs an auto opening boot:D:D Then it would be easier to load the spare parts into:D

andy willi
20th May 2012, 20:30
so why have we not had a reply from your boss

andy

MangoMan
20th May 2012, 20:40
Just a question, but did they come out with skullcap wingmirrors and then changed to bullets, then back to skullcaps?

pab
20th May 2012, 20:50
Just a question, but did they come out with skullcap wingmirrors and then changed to bullets, then back to skullcaps?In a nutshell no.

The car spent some of it's life dressed as a ZT,even had projector headlights in the ZT front bumper.If you look through this dedicated forum you will see the car in many guises.

MangoMan
21st May 2012, 07:47
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs101.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

baconbuttyman
20th June 2012, 17:56
Does OVP need a grill ??

Reebs
20th June 2012, 22:03
No, one has been sourced and just requires fitting once the front bumper has been repainted, thanks.

Christopher sent through some pictures of the work he has been doing in cleaning the interior up by the way.

The inside was filthy to use his words, so required a strip down of the centre console area and removal of the door cards.

Before:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/reebspics/a18d38d5.jpg~original

During:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/reebspics/e5ba0000.jpg~original

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/reebspics/ad031837.jpg~original

The black MG steering wheel has now been replaced with a light smokestone Rover one and a smokestone airbag is on its way up from Bexhill On Sea courtesy of Seancar :bowdown:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/reebspics/44acae8e.jpg~original

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/reebspics/c0150476.jpg~original

After:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/reebspics/b9ea8307.jpg~original

There are new carpets on the way too, as the ones in the car are beyond repair. The seats will be removed when the carpets go in and they too will get a thorough clean.

starbug2
20th June 2012, 22:07
nice to see something happening :}

Christopher
20th June 2012, 22:20
To add to Paul's update I have also repaired the following:

- Fitted the door cards properly
- properly wired in the mirrors as they we non adjusting and unheated (bullets to be fitted when backs are sourced)
- fitted driver door stay
- tightened loose bits on the inside everywhere
- removed dangling 3rd brake light, cleaned up and now need sticky taope to affix to rear window

Faults that need to be looked at:
- SRS warning is on (could be seats will check when they come out when new carpet arrives)
- fuel gauge is reading EMPTY all the time and temp is -30deg out side! These two were a recent fault and happened together - last week in fact so had no time to diagnose (Was in New York until yesterday!)
- knocking at engine firewall at low revs (goes away at higher revs)
- click-clicking when steering at full steering lock

Cleaninng yet to do:
- complete engine bay clean
- refit carpets
remove and clean all seats and refit
- remove rear doorcards, clean and refit

Apart from that she drives quite well - however the carpets have NEVER been cleaned and they stink to high heaven, I did a bit to make it drivable but the sooner they are changed the better!

Cheers

- boot area - entire remove, clean and refit

Petetourer
20th June 2012, 23:21
Great to get some updates of progress being made on OVP...

Happy to see that she is moving forward... Keep them coming :D

Much appreciated guy's.....

Tim_Burgess
21st June 2012, 08:34
Good to see the old thing getting some love.

Would I be right in thinling that the seats are incorrect anyway? I thought OVP was a Classic and those look like Speckle velour from a Club / Club SE.

Reebs
21st June 2012, 10:35
They are indeed Club SE seats, they have the fold down release buttons too. I think that they are the originals as fitted however, as it would have been rather pointless to remove the non speckled ones for speckled versions, yes if going to leather, I could understand that.

Don't forget this was a very early pre-production model which was designed to be used for publicity and promotion, so putting fold down seats in was probably a deliberate move at build. Judging by the state that they are in, they have been in the car for a very long time in any event.

Top marks for recognising the anomaly though :bowdown: :cool:

Canonite
21st June 2012, 10:42
To add to Paul's update I have also repaired the following:

- Fitted the door cards properly
- properly wired in the mirrors as they we non adjusting and unheated (bullets to be fitted when backs are sourced)
- fitted driver door stay
- tightened loose bits on the inside everywhere
- removed dangling 3rd brake light, cleaned up and now need sticky taope to affix to rear window

Faults that need to be looked at:
- SRS warning is on (could be seats will check when they come out when new carpet arrives)
- fuel gauge is reading EMPTY all the time and temp is -30deg out side! These two were a recent fault and happened together - last week in fact so had no time to diagnose (Was in New York until yesterday!)
- knocking at engine firewall at low revs (goes away at higher revs)
- click-clicking when steering at full steering lock

Cleaninng yet to do:
- complete engine bay clean
- refit carpets
remove and clean all seats and refit
- remove rear doorcards, clean and refit

Apart from that she drives quite well - however the carpets have NEVER been cleaned and they stink to high heaven, I did a bit to make it drivable but the sooner they are changed the better!

Cheers

- boot area - entire remove, clean and refit

How about bringing OVP to one of the weekend Nano style meets taking place and see what can be done?

Gate Keeper
21st June 2012, 10:57
Christopher, I used 'No Nails' sticky tape which I cut to shape and fitted it to keep up the 3rd brake light supported with a hand towel roll for the first 48 hours and after that it stayed on for over a year. I tried Gorilla glue and it was useless. A cheap fit I know.

Bolin
21st June 2012, 14:05
Excellent stuff, it's really good to see some more progress on this bit of Rover-75-history-on-wheels:)

The clicking on full lock sounds ominous though, CV joints perhaps?

Christopher
9th July 2012, 14:51
Christopher, I used 'No Nails' sticky tape which I cut to shape and fitted it to keep up the 3rd brake light supported with a hand towel roll for the first 48 hours and after that it stayed on for over a year. I tried Gorilla glue and it was useless. A cheap fit I know.

Thanks for the tip - I'll take a look - tried two varieties I have - they both fell off! ;)

Unclefista
9th July 2012, 15:08
Thanks for the tip - I'll take a look - tried two varieties I have - they both fell off! ;)

I spent a month or so trying to stick my rear light back up, from sticky pads to hot glue. They all failed in the sun.
I recommend the specific adhesive pad that comes with a mesh catalyst, only a quid but absolutely permanent.

Christopher
9th July 2012, 15:40
I spent a month or so trying to stick my rear light back up, from sticky pads to hot glue. They all failed in the sun.
I recommend the specific adhesive pad that comes with a mesh catalyst, only a quid but absolutely permanent.

Where from please?

Ta

Unclefista
9th July 2012, 15:55
My local motor factors but I'd imagine any decent one (even Halfords) will stock them, they've been around donkeys years.
It's the only stuff I've used that sets like rock even in the sun.
One is big enough to cut into 2 to do both supports.

Christopher
9th July 2012, 15:57
My local motor factors but I'd imagine any decent one (even Halfords) will stock them, they've been around donkeys years.
It's the only stuff I've used that sets like rock even in the sun.
One is big enough to cut into 2 to do both supports.

Cheers, will take a look.

best

Gate Keeper
24th July 2012, 15:37
I just tried the sticky pad with the activated mesh and glue. It did not work. Also I re-attempted to use the No Nails tape again as it had worked before. I waited 24 hours for the tape to set. Alas that also failed. I have booked LJW into the workshop one day next week in St. Albans who claim to have had 100% success with a secret formula which takes 4 hours to set. The price for the fix is £43.

Christopher I think that the early cars like yours and mine must have been part of a weak batch as far as the high brake light adhesives went and is an age related problem.

Gate Keeper
29th July 2012, 18:52
I will retract the words 'age related' and replace them with 'worn out'. In essence that is what has happened with the high rear brake lights - they work but the adhesiveness is worn out and does not stick.

I have been looking for a complete rear windscreen with the brake light attached, should the next fix not work. I am wondering Christopher if one of the traders might be able to help you out with a complete unit should you not have any luck.

Reebs
30th July 2012, 10:28
Christopher is in Geneva on business currently Phil, so may not be able to reply at the moment. Just wanted to make you aware :o

Gate Keeper
31st July 2012, 19:00
Thanks for letting me know Paul.

My own brake light problem is now resolved and it is back up. £34 inc. and 4 hours to set.

If Christopher rings up the Rover Centre in St. Albans and asks to speak with Owen Turner one of the owners, I suspect that Owen would be able to tell him about the process which the garage has used successfully for this particular problem.

keeftheduck
31st July 2012, 19:18
I have a newly opened tube of Tiger Seal (black) if you want it before it goes off in the cellar...

Unclefista
31st July 2012, 19:50
On my "v" reg, the glue was no good at all, it lost all its effectiveness over the years.
I removed both steel pegs, cleaned all surfaces with a razor blade and used the activated adhesive.
It's now permanently attached to the screen.

What brand of activated adhesive did you try ?

Gate Keeper
1st August 2012, 07:11
On my "v" reg, the glue was no good at all, it lost all its effectiveness over the years.
I removed both steel pegs, cleaned all surfaces with a razor blade and used the activated adhesive.
It's now permanently attached to the screen.

What brand of activated adhesive did you try ?

I cannot remember the name, except it had a long chemical name - sorry. The application is as important as is the gluing of the pegged pads and after they have have been offered back up and the glue hardens, then the remaining parts can be reassembled. I am glad to see that the adhesive you used worked. If Chris uses it then he will be quids in.

Then he can carry on with OVP's restoration :)

Yossarian
9th August 2012, 20:38
Hi, I've only just joined. I had a look around on here a few weeks ago when I started thinking about buying one which was very useful. Anyway I now have one (more of which on a more relevant thread) but I just thought I'd say that I saw S525 OVP in Southampton on Tuesday. It is quite distinctive at the moment and after seeing it on here there was no mistaking it!

I was in my Triumph at the time, Winchester Road/Hill Lane roundabout about 17.30 but I've just bought a Trophy Yellow ZT-T ex Shropshire ambulance so you can't miss that either! so if I see you out and about again I'll give you a wave.

scorpio stu
6th December 2012, 23:45
Is there any more news ??

Dragrad
7th December 2012, 01:40
Been a few sightings of it out and about :xmas-smiley-029:

scorpio stu
7th December 2012, 01:43
Been a few sightings of it out and about :xmas-smiley-029:

At least it's getting used.

:christmas:

uvs166
26th December 2012, 23:49
I always found Araldite worked very well for fixing things to screens if you can hold it still long enough for it to set. this has become easier now they make a rapid version.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARALDITE-RAPID-STRONG-FAST-SETING-EPOXY-ADHESIVE-GLUE-30ML-2-TUBES-/150968516046?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_ Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item23266cbdce
other vendors are available...

Dragrad
27th December 2012, 00:04
I always found Araldite worked very well for fixing things to screens if you can hold it still long enough for it to set. this has become easier now they make a rapid version.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARALDITE-RAPID-STRONG-FAST-SETING-EPOXY-ADHESIVE-GLUE-30ML-2-TUBES-/150968516046?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_ Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item23266cbdce
other vendors are available...

Funnily enough, I'd always been told to never use Araldite (or similar) to fix things to the screen, ie re-affixing the rear-view mirror, as Araldite contracts as it sets and can cause the windscreen to crack.. :shrug:

jamesh7216
30th December 2012, 09:12
I have used Araldite rapid on a number of occasions without any problems, it attached the rear brake light to the rear screen on my 75 2 years ago and have not had any problems since, i have also used it to attach the heated rear screen connectors to the screen on my Peugeot 106, the rear screen now works perfectly

cardaft
1st January 2013, 15:52
How is the car looking now? This thread seems to have almost dried up and yet there are no finished pictures.

Or has the car not been restored? Which wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion.

Parker
1st January 2013, 16:06
Far from restored but running and as far as I know being used, it is roadworthy.

nomzamo999
15th August 2013, 21:45
Far from restored but running and as far as I know being used, it is roadworthy.
Love to see some more recent pics if any are available?

starbug2
17th August 2013, 07:12
Love to see some more recent pics if any are available?
also been a while for a update

Woof25
20th August 2013, 18:28
I think we have to accept with the owner being out of uk for much of the year progress will be slow, it would be nice to see it back to original colours and specs but it all takes money and I guess the owner has other demands on his like most of the rest of it.

starbug2
21st August 2013, 16:33
where is the car now ?

Parker
21st August 2013, 18:17
I suspect on Christopher's drive or his lawn.

starbug2
21st August 2013, 19:35
I suspect on Christopher's drive or his lawn.
either way i hope its covered/protected :confused: