PDA

View Full Version : DD up and running

gsteph
6th July 2011, 15:25
Hi Radioguy (Sean)
Received my DD unit yesterday, after two days of stress and cockups, I have today got sorted, I couldn't have made it without the help and support of Tony Fry (thanks again Tony) the Rover logo is up on screen now no prob, just waiting for our area to go digital before I can try the TV, but have got the screen for it up.
Thanks once again Guys.
George:)

HarryM1BYT
6th July 2011, 17:01
Why are you waiting for it to go digital? Digital is already being transmitted via Emley Moor.

gsteph
6th July 2011, 17:36
Not in hilly Bradford, with a big antenna on the roof I only get a few progs and it is always breaking up. Sitting in the drive the dd unit didn't find any, and it was forever searching. I'll have to drive on to the hill tops to set it up, or wait till September I guess.

gsteph
6th July 2011, 17:40
Hi Harrym1byt
meant to ask what antenna do you use to get TMC, I didn't manage to sort that out.
George

HarryM1BYT
6th July 2011, 18:11
Hi Harrym1byt
meant to ask what antenna do you use to get TMC, I didn't manage to sort that out.
George

It is just a random length of single wire 6 to 8 feet long and tucked up around the roof lining. No reason why the long wire antenna as supplied with the DD (if Sean still supplies it with one?) could not be used via the amp instead.

That feeds into one of MarkUK's antenna amps which I installed alongside the original Rover amp (and fed its 12v from it) at the D pillar, then from that amp I installed a coax extension to the TMC antenna socket. No reason at all why Mark's amp could not be installed at the front, behind the DD, and the antenna wire run front to rear along the roof lining.

I noticed some slight deterioration in radio reception using Mark's suggested method of tapping into the existing rear window antenna, so tried the separate wire instead and it worked fine.

gsteph
6th July 2011, 18:39
Sounds a bit complicated with my limited knowledge, as for trying to get anything else behind the DD unit I had a hell of a tussle getting the unit back in, I am not happy that it isn't exactly flush at the bottom, but I was worried if I tried any harder I might do damage. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.
Cheers George

HarryM1BYT
6th July 2011, 18:53
Sounds a bit complicated with my limited knowledge, as for trying to get anything else behind the DD unit I had a hell of a tussle getting the unit back in, I am not happy that it isn't exactly flush at the bottom, but I was worried if I tried any harder I might do damage. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.
Cheers George

No, no - it is quite straight forward....

Antenna wire
_____________> AMP > Coax > TMC antenna input socket

MARKUK
6th July 2011, 20:07
gsteph,

I have TMC Mod Kits available if you require one...

I also offer a fitting service for a small charge if you come to Barnsley :D

gsteph
7th July 2011, 18:14
Hi HARRYM1BYT
Had a drive to the highest point around and got great digital TV receiption so the settings are ok, just a point there is no EPG is this normal?, and so it was difficult to find BBC1 for example.
George

HarryM1BYT
7th July 2011, 18:54
I would have thought all digi receivers included an EPG. Mine offers a limited one, but I bought the more expensive receiver from Sean the one with twin antenna input. It also has a not very obvious setting, to put the channels in a sensible numbering order - BBC 1 as channel #1 etc..

Dallas
7th July 2011, 19:22
Hi HARRYM1BYT
Had a drive to the highest point around and got great digital TV receiption so the settings are ok, just a point there is no EPG is this normal?, and so it was difficult to find BBC1 for example.
George

Do a re-scan or a firmware update, this can be done manually via the menu function (no risk is involved), its quite straight forward. ;)

gsteph
8th July 2011, 08:13
I got the one with the two antenna's as well, I will have a fiddle around with the settings later. by the way where did you stick the antenna's, I don't like the way they are obvious situated on the screen, but the receiption was good.
Thanks
George

VVC-Geeza
8th July 2011, 15:48
by the way where did you stick the antenna's, I don't like the way they are obvious situated on the screen, but the receiption was good.
Thanks
George

I couldn't live with them in full view either so i sited mine at the edge of the rear screen behind the black strip so they are invisible from the outside.One in the vertical the other horizontal.Hardly noticeable from the inside either when the camera flash isn't lighting things up.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/mick_064/Aerials019.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/mick_064/Aerials001.jpg

tony_fry
8th July 2011, 16:03
Hi Radioguy (Sean)
Received my DD unit yesterday, after two days of stress and cockups, I have today got sorted, I couldn't have made it without the help and support of Tony Fry (thanks again Tony) the Rover logo is up on screen now no prob, just waiting for our area to go digital before I can try the TV, but have got the screen for it up.
Thanks once again Guys.
George:)

Hi George

Glad you finally got things up and running, I know things are not always easy, but a little time and effort and you will get them worked out.

gsteph
8th July 2011, 16:39
Thanks for the suggestion GEEZA, but Iv'e got the tourer, I think I will leave them in the glovebox and fix them on the screen with the suction pads when required.
Hi Tony, yes I am sure I will sort it out in time, got mad with it today, tested it back to my home adress yesterday no prob, but today on going shopping it kept trying to re route me back home I couldn't shut it up, how do you cancel a set route?. My wife wasn't amused at this woman telling me to turn around all the time. help please.
George

HarryM1BYT
8th July 2011, 16:44
I got the one with the two antenna's as well, I will have a fiddle around with the settings later. by the way where did you stick the antenna's, I don't like the way they are obvious situated on the screen, but the receiption was good.
Thanks
George

If you converted from the Hi-line setup, you can resuse the two built-in TV antennas.

gsteph
8th July 2011, 17:49
Mine wasn't high line, just the standard single din.

VVC-Geeza
8th July 2011, 23:33
Thanks for the suggestion GEEZA, but Iv'e got the tourer,

Oops :o,must pay more attention to peoples profiles!

got mad with it today, tested it back to my home adress yesterday no prob, but today on going shopping it kept trying to re route me back home I couldn't shut it up, how do you cancel a set route?. My wife wasn't amused at this woman telling me to turn around all the time. help please.
George

If you are using iGO bring up Menu-Route-Delete Route.

gsteph
9th July 2011, 09:12
Thanks I will go out and try that when I have finished my housework.

gsteph
11th July 2011, 11:19
Hi. I tried the suggestion but no luck, Iv'e reset the system twice but nothing alters perhaps I will have to disconnect the battery to fully reset it.
Any body within reasonable drive of Bradford I can visit to help me sort it?.

gsteph
12th July 2011, 14:37
Had another go today, think I have solved my problems, yipee .