PDA

View Full Version : got my DD today. a few questions guys,

rotrex
12th July 2011, 22:53
hi gang.
first let me say a huge thanks to Sean for swift delivery:bowdown:.

as title. I got mine today. desperate to see it working I fitted it by connecting the cars ISO plugs and ariel. radio.CD. works fine, as does it playing DVD.
can I ask is it normal {when playing DVD}for the screen to show long and thin as in pic I'v added ?
another wee thing I noticed is, every time I switch ignition of {whether DD is first switch on or off} my wipers give one sweep and then park ? this cant be normal can it ?
thanks in advance. tam.
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9630/lpic7649.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/lpic7649.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Jakg
12th July 2011, 23:07
Wipers = you've got something connected to the ignition live you shouldn't do.

Does the unit also lose its memory? You probably have perm / switched live the wrong way round.

Mobeetie
12th July 2011, 23:23
As Jack said, thats the reason, I also had the same with mine. To fix I simply swapped the Ignition feed and Permanent feed around, the wire colours on my car were PINK (Pin 4, grey connector) for Permanent feed and Light Green W/ White Tracer ( Pin 7, grey connector) for Ignition feed. This may be different for your car though

rotrex
12th July 2011, 23:36
taa guys. at least thats something to look at.
Jack. not sure about memory mate tbh. will have a better play tomorrow, didnt have much time today. any thought on the dvd screen ??

Jakg
13th July 2011, 00:46
It depends on the resolution of the file. Films are generally much more letterbox (i.e. longer & shorter) than normal computer screens, which can lead to that effect - however...

The DD unit has a resolution of 800x480 (1.66:1)

The Simpsons Movie (or at least the copy I have) is 800x336 (i.e. 2.38:1).

This means that the film *should* fill up 100% of the width & 70% of the height of the screen, which it doesn't appear to be...

Perhaps you need to try altering the aspect ratio in the settings somewhere?

rotrex
13th July 2011, 01:12
hi Jak.
funny thing is when its the intro it does fill up more screen, then when onto film its probs 50% screen depth. setting sounds a bit complicated for now. think I'll leave that to someone who know what they'r doing {not me lol}
if I get time tomorrow/today lol. I'm going to take it back out and fit adaptor loom that comes with it, then start from there, forgot to say b/tooth also works ok. need to get nav working next, and s/wheel controls.
I didnt get any cards with it, do I need a card for nav to work ? or is it just plug in antena then it will work ?

Radioguy
13th July 2011, 02:27
hi Jak.
funny thing is when its the intro it does fill up more screen, then when onto film its probs 50% screen depth. setting sounds a bit complicated for now. think I'll leave that to someone who know what they'r doing {not me lol}
if I get time tomorrow/today lol. I'm going to take it back out and fit adaptor loom that comes with it, then start from there, forgot to say b/tooth also works ok. need to get nav working next, and s/wheel controls.
I didnt get any cards with it, do I need a card for nav to work ? or is it just plug in antena then it will work ?

Hi Rotrex
What about Other Movies? I it just the Simpsons movie that's giving you that?

The SD Card should be in the GPS SD Port.

Let us know on your SWC if they are infrared or hard wired

Cheers

And thanks

Sean

rotrex
13th July 2011, 09:24
hi Sean.
I have onlt used simpsons tbh,I will try another today.
SWC am I right thinking if In/red there is a small sensor under eye/brow part of dash ? if si I have this.
SD car. I didnt get a card in slot, do I need this for nav to work ?
Tam.

Radioguy
13th July 2011, 12:10
hi Sean.
I have onlt used simpsons tbh,I will try another today.
SWC am I right thinking if In/red there is a small sensor under eye/brow part of dash ? if si I have this.
SD car. I didnt get a card in slot, do I need this for nav to work ?
Tam.

HI Tam
You do have IR If that is the case and will require a wire change
We will send out the SD Card if it is not in the GPS Slot

Sorry ! Checking what happened

Sean

rotrex
13th July 2011, 14:13
hi Sean.
sorry to say I have searched in box, and in slot, definately no card there.

try'd another DVD and as Jack said it does fill about 70% of screen depth.

while I'm here. presumably the GPS antenna can go anywhere :shrug: ie on roof inside int/light ?
tam.

Jakg
13th July 2011, 14:45
Ideally you want the GPS antenna with a clear line-of-sight to the sky - under the interior light is a bad idea as you've got the metal roof in the way.

I don't have a double DIN unit, but my GPS stuff is in the centre console.

When you remove the clock panel (you know what I mean) with the two vents in it, theres a metal bar running through the middle of the dash. I cable-tied mine to that...

Radioguy
13th July 2011, 14:45
hi Sean.
sorry to say I have searched in box, and in slot, definately no card there.

try'd another DVD and as Jack said it does fill about 70% of screen depth.

while I'm here. presumably the GPS antenna can go anywhere :shrug: ie on roof inside int/light ?
tam.

Hi tam

You need to have the ASpect ratio Correct. 16:9 or 4:3 (The Letter Box)
Make sure you have a Pal DVD with a PAL Selection on you Head Unit
Usually this is Automatic but maybe somthing got set?

Your GPS Antenna stays under the dash , no need to put it out there.

Can you try a reset ?
the reset button is on the front of the unit
We are sending a new Card, If you have a spare card there, let me know and I can send you the download today for the GPS

Sean

rotrex
13th July 2011, 16:05
Ideally you want the GPS antenna with a clear line-of-sight to the sky - under the interior light is a bad idea as you've got the metal roof in the way.

I don't have a double DIN unit, but my GPS stuff is in the centre console.

When you remove the clock panel (you know what I mean) with the two vents in it, theres a metal bar running through the middle of the dash. I cable-tied mine to that...

taa Jak.

I actualy have the clock out right now and though, I wonder if could stick it there as its magnetic, then thought dash would be in the way. I was thinking roof skin as sensor is magnetic although behind int/light is a thick box section of metal due to s/roof frame ect. Tam

Jakg
13th July 2011, 16:06
The dash is made of a light fibreglass weave - it'll be a lot easier to get through than a metal oof is.

HarryM1BYT
13th July 2011, 16:06

I installed mine first withouth the adaptor lead, I didn't htink it was needed and got the single wipe at switch off. It turned out to be the switched live and permanent live were crossed. The lead is needed and sorts out the single wipe issue/crossed wires.

Its easy to miss the card in the slot, it is tiny. Press a finger nail in at the centre of the slot and the card, if there is one, should spring out.

rotrex
13th July 2011, 16:11
Hi tam

You need to have the ASpect ratio Correct. 16:9 or 4:3 (The Letter Box)
Make sure you have a Pal DVD with a PAL Selection on you Head Unit
Usually this is Automatic but maybe somthing got set?
tbh honest I dont understand what that means:o

Your GPS Antenna stays under the dash , no need to put it out there.
brilliant thats nice an easy, I thoought dash would block signal:o

Can you try a reset ?
the reset button is on the front of the unit
I'll learn about this later, just want to get fitted permanantly for now so I can put car back together ;)
We are sending a new Card, If you have a spare card there, let me know and I can send you the download today for the GPS

Sean
sorry Sean. I dont have a card, infact I'v never seen a card as small as this slot tbh:o also that download to card is way beyond my understanding of computor tbh :o
taa for your help. tam.

Radioguy
13th July 2011, 22:10
sorry Sean. I dont have a card, infact I'v never seen a card as small as this slot tbh:o also that download to card is way beyond my understanding of computor tbh :o
taa for your help. tam.

tam we will get one out to you in the AM

Sorry , I Just heard from the previous owner that it wasn't sent !

Sean

rotrex
13th July 2011, 23:43
thanks again Sean. tam.

rotrex
15th July 2011, 02:07
finaly decided to stick gps antenna on top of dash right in front of that other sensor{whatever its for} looks ok, cable is hidden, and should get a clear signal through glass. pic below.

today I had a go at getting Ipod connected, sorry to say there is a problem. first used my daughters new Ipod, when plugged in the Ipod plays according to Ipod screen, on DD it show found Ipod but no sound ? it is showing {time out 531} anybody know what this means ?? I have whecked all connections a few times, also a friends Ipod today, still doing the same ??
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9582/lpic7671.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/lpic7671.jpg/)

picky747
15th July 2011, 09:39
finaly decided to stick gps antenna on top of dash right in front of that other sensor{whatever its for}

That is the sunlight sensor for your climate control.

CDTi
15th July 2011, 10:05
it is showing {time out 531} anybody know what this means ?? I have whecked all connections a few times, also a friends Ipod today, still doing the same ??That usually means the connection with the iPod needs to be reset.

Try selecting another source like Bluetooth and then go back to the iPod.

Radioguy
15th July 2011, 13:20
today I had a go at getting Ipod connected, sorry to say there is a problem. first used my daughters new Ipod, when plugged in the Ipod plays according to Ipod screen, on DD it show found Ipod but no sound ? it is showing {time out 531} anybody know what this means ?? I have whecked all connections a few times, also a friends Ipod today, still doing the same ??

Can you put up a screenshot of that Error ?

Sean

rotrex
15th July 2011, 14:29
That is the sunlight sensor for your climate control.

ahha. thanks always wondered what it was for :D

rotrex
15th July 2011, 14:32
CDTI. taa I will try that.
Sean. yes I will later as daughter is out. with Ipod in pocket :D tam.

HarryM1BYT
15th July 2011, 14:45
taa for your help. tam.

Both slots (GPS and the ICE one) accept a micro SD card. Often when you buy a micro SD card, it will be supplied with an adaptor which adapts from micro SD to a standard SD card size. It should then fit in your PC to enable you to write to it.

On the ICE card, you can put mp3 etc.. videos and I believe films.

I'm still bemused by the fact that you can fit all the maps of Europe, including all of the streets plus the software for the satnav onto the card which is the size of your little finger nail. In fact I could manage to fit around six copies onto my 8Gb card.

HarryM1BYT
15th July 2011, 14:51
finaly decided to stick gps antenna on top of dash right in front of that other sensor{whatever its for} looks ok, cable is hidden, and should get a clear signal through glass. pic below.

There is absolutely no need for it to be on top of the dash, just below on top of the steel bar works fine. The other sensor is a sunlight sensor. It is for the climate control. When the sun is streaming in through the windows, the car will feel warmer - so that sensor is there to notice that and make a suitable change to your set temperature to compensate for the suns heat.

rotrex
15th July 2011, 15:03
There is absolutely no need for it to be on top of the dash, just below on top of the steel bar works fine. The other sensor is a sunlight sensor. It is for the climate control. When the sun is streaming in through the windows, the car will feel warmer - so that sensor is there to notice that and make a suitable change to your set temperature to compensate for the suns heat.

very clever eh. and this card stuff wow. I really need to try learning a wee bit about this stuff tbh :o

suzublu
15th July 2011, 15:05
Does this mean you can play my cd's now Tam:D

VVC-Geeza
15th July 2011, 15:34

Come on Ronnie,it's about time your order went in :)

suzublu
15th July 2011, 15:43
Come on Ronnie,it's about time your order went in :)
Skint:shrug::shrug::getmecoat:

rotrex
15th July 2011, 16:51

Ronnie.
yes mate it does. been enjoying them today:bowdown::D

suzublu
15th July 2011, 16:53
So you won't be needing these replacements then:shrug::D

rotrex
15th July 2011, 17:03
So you won't be needing these replacements then:shrug::D

correct mate. I was going to let you know honest:getmecoat: although knew you had already done them, sorry:bowdown:

suzublu
15th July 2011, 17:11
No bother mate,know anyone who wants them :shrug:Wasn't there one i didn't do before?

rotrex
15th July 2011, 17:19
No bother mate,know anyone who wants them :shrug:Wasn't there one i didn't do before?
yep. final cut by Roger waters;)
I cant think of anyone who'd want them right now but will let you know if I do:o

gra123
15th July 2011, 18:30
yep. final cut by Roger waters;)
I cant think of anyone who'd want them right now but will let you know if I do:o
i dont, i have heard the s##t he listens to :D

rotrex
15th July 2011, 20:19
i dont, i have heard the s##t he listens to :D

:D hi graham. its not that mate ;). guese you didnt like my sounds :D

MASTIFF2
16th July 2011, 00:00

I'll have em if their still going Ronnie :bowdown:

rotrex
16th July 2011, 14:56
Sean.
did you have a look at the screen shot I posted, re Ipod ??

I got the card yesterday thanks. also a huge thanks to Tony for his
phone guidance helping me load it onto DD.

is it just me, I feel radio reception isnt nearly as good as my old Kenwood was :shrug:

MARKUK
16th July 2011, 15:06
Are you using a splitter to feed the aerial & TMC ?..

If so, you may need one of my TMX Mod Kits...

rotrex
16th July 2011, 18:20
Are you using a splitter to feed the aerial & TMC ?..

If so, you may need one of my TMX Mod Kits...
hi Mark.
sorry mate I have no idea :o I have plugged standard car aerial into DD, as it was in Kenwood.

TMC, I have not even looked for this yet, I presume thats what the extra aerial cable is for on back of DD ? do we need another aerial for this ? tbh I dont know that I have a use for TMC, nor exactly what it does, am I right thinking it warns of traffic jam's ?

TMX mod kit, can you explane please ??Tam.

MARKUK
16th July 2011, 18:27
hi Mark.
sorry mate I have no idea :o I have plugged standard car aerial into DD, as it was in Kenwood.

TMC, I have not even looked for this yet, I presume thats what the extra aerial cable is for on back of DD ? do we need another aerial for this ? tbh I dont know that I have a use for TMC, nor exactly what it does, am I right thinking it warns of traffic jam's ?

TMX mod kit, can you explane please ??Tam.

Have a look at my YouTube Channel Tam, and check out this thread...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=77691

rotrex
16th July 2011, 22:30
thanks Mark. boy that was a long read :D my signal isnt that bad tbh. just not as good as was with Kenwood, however this might change if/when I plug something into TMC socket:shrug:
can somebody please explane what TMC does, I'm not convinced I should bother with it tbh, nor do I listen to radio much. do I need to be on radio for TMC to whatever it does for me ?

HarryM1BYT
17th July 2011, 08:26
thanks Mark. boy that was a long read :D my signal isnt that bad tbh. just not as good as was with Kenwood, however this might change if/when I plug something into TMC socket:shrug:
can somebody please explane what TMC does, I'm not convinced I should bother with it tbh, nor do I listen to radio much. do I need to be on radio for TMC to whatever it does for me ?

The received TMC data feeds into the Satnav, so it can use the data when planning a route, so as to minimise the delays due to traffic holdups by routing around them. Additionally, if a holdup develops whilst you are on the route, it can offer to route around it for you. The TMC receiver is an entirely separate system to your DD's radio, though it does work on the same FM frequencies. Your radio does not to need to be on, to make use of it. You have paid for it, so why not use it?

Getting the TMC working or not, will not make any difference at all to your radios reception, though we did find it made reception worse if the built in antenna and a Y splitter was used to feed both radio and TMC. As all modern radios (including the TMC) seem to expect an external antenna amp - we arrived at the conclusion that the TMC needed one too, to enable it to work properly. Mark devised an amp kit for the job, which tapped onto the original Rover rear screen antenna - sharing it with the radio. I went one stage further and fed Mark's amp with a completely separate antenna of its own, so the Rover system worked as per originally designed.

Our units had a factory setting accessed via a password, which seemed to improve reception a little.

MARKUK
17th July 2011, 08:29

Hi Tam,

TMC is a signal that is embedded into the FM Radio signal, that carrys Traffic information which can be decoded and displayed by Igo & Primo etc..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel

If you do a lot of travel like myself and others on the forum, it's an essential addition !...

Quite as lot of us had issues using a splitter so we could have the TMC & Radio signals into the DD, which is why I came up with the TMC Mod Kit

Hope that explains things a bit better for you :D

rotrex
17th July 2011, 10:26
Harry. Mark.
thanks guys, I understand now, however I dont do a lot of traveling tbh, so will leave this for now.{will come back to this later} first I will get my head round how to use the nav properly. and get to the bottom of the Ipod connection not working.

speaking of which SEAN, did you see the screen shot you asked me to post showing this:shrug:
somehow the pic had vanished, anyway here is is again.
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6931/lpic7674.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/lpic7674.jpg/)

rotrex
18th July 2011, 17:20
hi guys.
this nav is driving me mad:D after loading my first address a few days ago, just to test it. everytime I switch it on now it want me to go to same location, I cant see how to stop it, also I now cant load a new address, as in it only lets me load town then street, no p/code. what am I doing wrong please. HELP before I smash the thing to pieces :D

MARKUK
18th July 2011, 20:38
Are you using Primo or Igo ?

Hers the link to the manuals in my SugarSync folders...

https://www.sugarsync.com/share/b3dzb8rnyj9it

HarryM1BYT
18th July 2011, 21:14
hi guys.
this nav is driving me mad:D after loading my first address a few days ago, just to test it. everytime I switch it on now it want me to go to same location, I cant see how to stop it, also I now cant load a new address, as in it only lets me load town then street, no p/code. what am I doing wrong please. HELP before I smash the thing to pieces :D

It will likely cancel the route, once you have destinated there :D

Look for something like 'New Route' and then tell it where you want to go.

rotrex
18th July 2011, 22:12
Mark. thanks mate I'll have a look.
Harry. it does do that, but on startup next time keeps wanting me to go there.
I have spoke to Tony fry on phone again tonight,he has also emailed me a file on it, need to go have a good read now. can now put in new address, so getting somewhere:o once I master how to use it in basic form, I can then try out the options/toys:D

VVC-Geeza
18th July 2011, 22:15
It will likely cancel the route, once you have destinated there :D

Look for something like 'New Route' and then tell it where you want to go.

Agreed,if necessary you need to cancel the existing route to allow a new one.

MARKUK
19th July 2011, 00:38
Tam,

I am in Glasgow & Kilmarnock next week, if you want to meet up and go over anything on the DD...

Kilmarnock, next Monday ( 25th ) night and Glasgow Next Tuesday ( 26th )

Send me a PM or mail me from the link in my sig...

rotrex
20th July 2011, 23:30
Tam,

I am in Glasgow & Kilmarnock next week, if you want to meet up and go over anything on the DD...

Kilmarnock, next Monday ( 25th ) night and Glasgow Next Tuesday ( 26th )

Send me a PM or mail me from the link in my sig...

hey Mark, thank for the offer mate. might take you up on the 26th if I can make it, wont know till nearer the time though. I will let you know:bowdown: Tam.

MARKUK
21st July 2011, 11:25
Hi Tam,

No worries, I am on at some point during the day and check messages and emails on my iPad when away from home...

Mark

rotrex
7th August 2011, 19:40
hi Sean,
can you please have a look at my post {46} re the Ipod not working, I posted the screen pic you asked me to in that post. I have done the reset thing and used 2 different Ipods that both work ok. and still cant get it to work, is this a cable problem ??