PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Europe - Any Advice to offer?

carlpenn
17th August 2007, 20:28
I have always wanted to tour Europe in a Car, sadly, now with one wife and two children later I appreciate it is not the most convenient of ideas.

However.........After lengthy chats with my wife and much pleading .... lol ... I am finally achieving part of this dream..

In December this year we are planning to take the 75 over to Germany, I have always wanted to visit the Christmas Markets there..........Obviously, taking the two children, I am concerned about every little nick nack I need to know............I have noticed a few members have been to Europe in their 75's and any advice, information or even suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I seem vague, but without knowing what to ask I am not sure what I need to know?

Phil
17th August 2007, 20:32
Drive on the right........:D

I think there is laws over there where it is mandatory to have a spare bulb kit comprising of every bulb you'll ever need. Never driven abroad and only been abroad once but would like to drive over too.

Tatts
17th August 2007, 20:52
IIRC the AA website has quite a comprehensive guide.

From my time based in Germany, you need as mentioned above, spare bulbs, a petrol can with 5l of fuel, warning triangle, proper 1st aid kit, green card insurance, breakdown cover is highly recommended, headlight beam benders, GB Sticker.

Erm, sure there's more, but memory fading!

carlpenn
17th August 2007, 21:05
Thanks Guys :)

Phil...........I laughed my head off at that comment........."Drive on the Right" My Mother is from Germany and my Father is from UK and my Mother said that she had to keep reminding my Father which side of the road he was supposed to be driving on whilst they where courting (My Father was in the Army in Germany during the 1950's)...........lol..........

Tatts..........regarding the GB Sticker, Can I get away with having the GB Bar on my Reg Plate? Dont want a tacky Sticker on my Bumper or does it have to be one of those horrible big white stickers?

Mike
17th August 2007, 21:15
You'll find all the info you need here:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/index.html

hth

GreyGhost
17th August 2007, 21:29
GB on your reg plate is fine. If you do decide on a tacky sticker as well make sure it is the standard size and font. Very fussy, ze Germans, about tacky stickers. :D
Beam deflector stickers for standard headlamps a fiver from Halfords. Or if you have xenon lamps there is a lever on the back to change dipped beam from RHD to LHD and all points in between.

carlpenn
17th August 2007, 23:25
GB on your reg plate is fine. If you do decide on a tacky sticker as well make sure it is the standard size and font. Very fussy, ze Germans, about tacky stickers. :D
Beam deflector stickers for standard headlamps a fiver from Halfords. Or if you have xenon lamps there is a lever on the back to change dipped beam from RHD to LHD and all points in between.

Thanks GG............

Regarding the Bold bits..........I have no idea where to look or find out about this? How would I know if I have Xenon Lights? (sorry if I seem really thick)

I will be buying my "Half Moon" Plates from the company this site recommended (Cannot remember the company name right now - having a crappy nicotiene withdrawal night Plus had a bottle of wine now !! ) with, hopefully the GB Bar down the side............

As for Germans being fussy.............lol.........yes............My Mother is NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- fussy !!! lol........

Again, I apologise if I seem thick........but, any Question is easy if you know the answer - - - Some very wise person once told me ;)

mike - Many thanks for the Link............Will check after workl tomorow :)

apywell
18th August 2007, 07:54
I drove my family over to Germany, Belgium and Luxemburg this year and had a great time. First time in Germany for me too. I think most of the things have already been mentioned about spare bulbs and other precautions. Oh, I extended my AA cover before I went. This could be worth doing if something does goes wrong. They will give you a hire car so that you can continue on your holiday and bring your car home for you if it can't be repaired.

On the plus side you will find fuel cheaper there and the roads are less congested. The only time you need to be careful in any busy towns or cities. I would say try and avoid any rush hour traffic in the larger cities if possible, as trying to navigate when everything seems the wrong way round can be daunting. Don't know if you have one, but a sat nav is realy useful.

You are bound to be cautious like i was, but get out there and you will have a great time.

have fun:D
ps
don't forget to save some room in the boot for the booooooze......

oakridge
18th August 2007, 07:57
Go for it, we spend a lot of time in France but it is 45 years since I was in Germany. Christine finds it easier driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, the downside is if you get behind something slow moving - it would be more than a little dangerous if I were to advise on whether the road is clear.

If you have a MkII Rover the lights have the adjuster thingy under the bonnet.

You will find a completely different attitude to children on the continent, we went to a Bastille Day fireworks display there were people there from tiny to doddery; no yobs, no drunks, no litter. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. When our daughter went to Germany on a school exchange in about 1980 she was amazed that the neighbours came out to sweep the street on Sunday morning. When she went back to Germany for the World Cup a local hoisted Grandad's WWII Union Jack on his garden flagpole. That's a welcome.

Malcolm

mattthetourer
18th August 2007, 08:27
Watch your speed ,on the spot fines are common in France.Otherwise it's great.Only problem I had was my Dad's navigating.Taking a caravan around the Arc de Triomphe is not for the feint hearted.Was only 17 and had not long passed my test.That was in a Marina estate.

Tom Collins
18th August 2007, 09:01
Driving abroad is great fun. Made much easier with a good sat nav.
One thing I didn't realise you should take is your log book. As you may know, my car is still in Spain after suffering HGF, and after talking to garage where it is being stored, they told me that they couldn't repair it or order parts as I didn't have proof of ownership with me, and if I'd been stopped by the police, I could recieve a large fine.

Extended European breakdown cover is a MUST. The best £50 I ever spent.

It has paid for,
The car (+ 200 bottles of wine in the boot :drool4: ) being shipped home.
2 hire cars in Spain and France.
Flights home from my choice of Airport, and day, for all 4 of us.
2 extra nights in our Spanish house.
Taxi from East Midlands to Leicester.

The main thing is to have a great time.

baxlin
18th August 2007, 10:47
Watch your speed ,on the spot fines are common in France.Otherwise it's great.Only problem I had was my Dad's navigating.Taking a caravan around the Arc de Triomphe is not for the feint hearted.Was only 17 and had not long passed my test.That was in a Marina estate.

Oops? Isn't the minimum age to drive a car in France 18?

Your story reminds me of my daughter, driving my Carlton through France within a couple of months of passing her test - she'd only driven the Automatic once before, never driven on the right before, big car fully laden for the family holiday. Her own car was an old-style Panda.

I was very proud of her!!

Malcolm

GreyGhost
18th August 2007, 10:48
Xenon headlamps have a virtually clear glass and the legend Xenon technology engraved in the glass. Regular lamps have the glass with lots of lines to direct the beam. A pic of the front end of your motor will tell all if you are still not sure. :)

CFS75
18th August 2007, 11:11
There's good advice in the previous posts and links.

I've found that every country has its own style of driving so it pays to drive defensively and watch the natives carefully!

If you stop at a pedestrian crossing in France you will get a very surprised look from the person waiting to cross. In Italy when you stop at a red traffic light there will be a blast on horns from following cars. On an autobahn in Germany that small dot in your rear view mirror is a car approaching at nearly the speed of sound!

I find that turning left at some dual carriageway crossroads can be a challenge and of course overtaking when you are driving a right hand drive car is interesting! Enjoy your holiday.

Tatts
18th August 2007, 11:36
[QUOTE=CFS75;80579]On an autobahn in Germany that small dot in your rear view mirror is a car approaching at nearly the speed of sound!
[QUOTE]

Your not wrong there! I used to use the A57 (Autobahn) a lot, and one Saturday morning I was cruising at a steady 100mph, looked in the mirrow and saw a car a l-o-n-g way back. A few seconds later a Merc blasted past me - he must have been doing aroung 140/150 mph easily. Scarey stuff!

One last thing, which I was told when I took a British Military Driving test so I could drive in Germany; German cemetaries are full of drivers who were trying to prove they had right-of-way. In other words, 'some' drivers will have a crash because they know they are in the right! Be careful!

andy
18th August 2007, 16:08
I do quite a lot of continental driving

Give way to everything is my advice, and plot your course through junctions etc. well in advance, even if that means stopping and 'assessing' the situation/route ( you will only get abuse not damaged ! )

Above all take your time and dont be intimidated by the locals
Just think of all the smug satisfaction you are giving to the drivers who think they have got one up on you !

In France particularly remember that the driver ( 6feet ) behind doesnt just want to be in front of you, he wants to be exactly where you are !

Also breakdown insurance, never had to use it myself but have seen the grief that ensues if you havent got it
Travel insurance (£50.00 a year for a couple ) is well worth it as well, yes emergency cover is free but not aftercare or medical repatriation

Good Luck

Andy

JamesP
18th August 2007, 23:10
Hello Carlpenn

I would recommend you purchase a Blind Spot mirror as a number one priorty as the "Bullit" style mirrors are rather small.:SHOCKED:

A good site for route planning is and Toll pricing is

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

Although in car and portable sat navs are in the main very good from experience I think it is good to have a paper back up.:)

One last thing we always take an A4 Wallet with clear view pockets and put in the Printed Route, Registration Document, MOT Cert (if required), Insurance Cert, Travel Insurance Cert, Hotel reservation documents & Ferry -Tunnel tickets.

This really is the last thing take some Euro's with you for the Toll Roads as it can become quite expensive in Bank Charges if you use a Card to pay.
Sichere reise

Jürgen
19th August 2007, 10:59
From my time based in Germany, you need as mentioned above, spare bulbs, a petrol can with 5l of fuel, warning triangle, proper 1st aid kit, green card insurance, breakdown cover is highly recommended, headlight beam benders, GB Sticker.
Spare bulbs? Don't know ... :o
Warning triangle and proper 1st aid kit are a must.
You may have a petrol can, but you don't have to. But you must not take a petrol can onto a ferry.

Tatts..........regarding the GB Sticker, Can I get away with having the GB Bar on my Reg Plate? Dont want a tacky Sticker on my Bumper or does it have to be one of those horrible big white stickers?
The blue bar with the country code and the yellow stars is sufficient, as long you are from a country of the European Community (obviously) driving in a country of the EC.

Very fussy, ze Germans, about tacky stickers. :D

:ignore: ( . . . eventually I can use this smiley http://www.r75.info/modules/Forums/images/smiles/00000180.gif )

On an autobahn in Germany that small dot in your rear view mirror is a car approaching at nearly the speed of sound!
Yes, be careful before starting to change lane on an Autobahn. But most of the German motorways are speed restricted nowadays. Watch for the speed limit signs (

Remember, a http://s3.bilder-hosting.de/tbnl/6OMHA.jpg stands for 60 kph, not 60 mph. :D

Have a great time and enjoy your tour!

actros
19th August 2007, 11:27
Spare bulbs? Don't know ... :o
Warning triangle and proper 1st aid kit are a must.
You may have a petrol can, but you don't have to. But you must not take a petrol can onto a ferry.

The blue bar with the country code and the yellow stars is sufficient, as long you are from a country of the European Community (obviously) driving in a country of the EC.

:ignore: ( . . . eventually I can use this smiley http://www.r75.info/modules/Forums/images/smiles/00000180.gif )

Yes, be careful before starting to change lane on an Autobahn. But most of the German motorways are speed restricted nowadays. Watch for the speed limit signs (

Remember, a http://s3.bilder-hosting.de/tbnl/6OMHA.jpg stands for 60 kph, not 60 mph. :D

Have a great time and enjoy your tour! Don`t forget the high vis vest for each person traveling in the car and warning triangles. and drive :driving: :cool2:

patrolman pete
19th August 2007, 18:04
Hi ,to fit beam deflectors check the hand book as it gives you a picture of the lenses and where you should cover . I just use black electricians tape and a pair of scissors . I,m doing mine next week as i'm driving to the south of Spain and looking forward to those long clear roads and cheap diesel!

Spôôk
19th August 2007, 18:25
Hmmm.
Just out of interest - When did the UK get detached from Europe??

Z135T
19th August 2007, 19:01
when we drive abroad, I drive onto ferry and wife does the rest as I'm on my holidays, simple really keep an eye open for the frogs (off their heads no such thing as health and safety),Eyeties mad and good with the horn, also don't stop on Toll Roads (as good possibility off getting robbed) , the smaller roads are best I found,finally don't mix with the Brits seem to be a right pane in the rear when abroad,stick with the foreigners and all is hunk dory.

Fraser Mitchell
19th August 2007, 19:19
As a member who has been to Rome and back twice in 6 weeks, I think there are a few themes I picked up. I drove in France, Switzerland, Germany and Italy.

1. Driving standards - the Italians are complete and utter idiots although they generally seem to manage to avoid you. I think this is because their driving test is a joke and anyway can be avoided by money in brown-paper envelopes, (yes really !!). The scooters and motorcyclists are complete dickheads; I did wonder at the time how there are any still left alive ! Germans drive very fast on autobahns but generally are OK. France I found the most relaxing, funnily enough, although this does not apply to Paris, where, (just like all capital cities), they are all loonies.

White Van Man is the same in every country, i.e a completely brainless idiot

2. Oddities - Don't forget the Swiss want 40 francs off you for using their motorways in the form of a Vignette to stick on your windscreen. You can easily get this on the internet. Heavy fine if caught.

3. Driving on the right - I did not find this any problem except when joining fast-moving traffic on a main road at an acute angle; its useful to have somebody next to you to look out to the left to see when a gap appears.

4. Parking - the Continent seems far less anal than our Petty Hitlers. I usually had no problems anywhere. The UK is a nightmare compared to Europe.

baxlin
19th August 2007, 19:22
Hmmm.

Excuse me!! You mean old chap when did Europe become detached from the UK?

(presumably we're talking geographically?):D

carlpenn
19th August 2007, 19:27
Thank you so much to every one for tips and advice -

I am quite excited at the moment :D

We will be visiting either Wurzburg or Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber - The plan of action is to cut across UK to Folkestone over to Calais and then through to Belgium, Holland and into Germany...................

carlpenn
19th August 2007, 19:32
Hmmm.

lol............. 260 Million Years ago??..........:p:

Matt brighton
19th August 2007, 19:42
Hi Carl

I recently enjoyed a week in picardy region of france (1hr n/e of paris) - my recommended essential is tom tom sat nav which took all the stress out of the journey and touring - allowed us to relax - be adventerous by visiting lots of scenic recommended off the beaten track villages.

Tho my s nav details main roads only down to equiv A / B roads i was really impressed with the detail - it was fine and detailed enough to get us everywhere safely and stress free.

- I def will upgrade the maps to show european street level mapping next time I eurotunnel over there - as you get taken to car parks - petrol (diesel) stns etc etc.

Worth every penny for peace of mind - allows you to concentrate on enjoying the driving.

Hope you have a safe journey

Matt-brighton

uk_dave&gill
20th August 2007, 06:56
Thank you so much to every one for tips and advice -

I am quite excited at the moment :D

We will be visiting either Wurzburg or Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber - The plan of action is to cut across UK to Folkestone over to Calais and then through to Belgium, Holland and into Germany...................

Go to RODT if you can - great place!

carlpenn
20th August 2007, 07:40
Go to RODT if you can - great place!

I must say that RODT is my Favourite of the Two at present. It is only a short drive between the two so we may go to both :)

carlpenn
20th August 2007, 07:56
Hi Carl

I recently enjoyed a week in picardy region of france (1hr n/e of paris) - my recommended essential is tom tom sat nav which took all the stress out of the journey and touring - allowed us to relax - be adventerous by visiting lots of scenic recommended off the beaten track villages.

Tho my s nav details main roads only down to equiv A / B roads i was really impressed with the detail - it was fine and detailed enough to get us everywhere safely and stress free.

- I def will upgrade the maps to show european street level mapping next time I eurotunnel over there - as you get taken to car parks - petrol (diesel) stns etc etc.

Worth every penny for peace of mind - allows you to concentrate on enjoying the driving.

Hope you have a safe journey

Matt-brighton

I have looked at Sat Nav and - probably a Laughable long shot - But already owning a Conn Model I wondered how easy it is to Fit the Rover Sat Nav and if so, would it be sufficient? I really would prefer to have original Rover Equipment, I know that Sat Nav is portable etc........But if I am going to spend Money on Sat Nav, May as well buy what I originally Planned :) (If cost effective and feasible)

Ross R75
21st August 2007, 23:58
Remember also that if you have an accident and there is snow on the road, you will not be covered by your insurance unless you have winter tyres or mud and snow (marked M&S) tyres fitted. I just moved back from Germany in April of this year.

In towns, cyclists and pedestrians have the right of way if you are turning right. Always look over your right shoulder to check for cyclists (there are millions of them) before turning right. In towns there is no fast or slow lane on dual carriageways although the left lane is generally the quicker moving of the two. You can turn right at red lights if there is a sign below the light with a green arrow on it. At night, they turn the traffic lights off to reduce CO2 output so you need to know if you have priority at junctions. There are priority signs at all junctions (a white diamond with black road diagram), they're easy to understand. The overall standard of driving in Germany is vastly superior to that in Britain. Fuel prices are about the same and service stations (called rastplatz or rasthof) are a million times better than ours and much cheaper. You'll be expected to tip the concierge in the toilets as they keep them spotlessly clean and don't get paid by the service station owners.

There are next to no roundabouts in Germany, all slip roads from Autobahns are in the form of an orbital ramp. Ensure that you get in the correct lane quickly at autobahn junctions, the slip roads can be very short. Contrary to popular belief, there is a speed limit of 130kph on Autobahns although the police will not stop you for breaking it. If you crash or cause an accident at more than 130kph you are automatically at fault. It is illegal to run out of fuel on Autobahns and you must carry a warning triangle. Spare bulbs are not compulsory, nor is a fuel can.

Nordrhein-Westfalen has great Christmas markets with Munster being my favourite.

carlpenn
22nd August 2007, 07:03
Thank you Ross R75 :D

A very informative post there.

Where in Germany had you been living?

Ross R75
22nd August 2007, 11:02
I was living in Munster. A beautiful old city with a population of about 400,000. Nice and hot in summer and freezing with plenty of snow in winter.

Volzhskyboy
23rd August 2007, 07:03
Remember also that if you have an accident and there is snow on the road, you will not be covered by your insurance unless you have winter tyres or mud and snow (marked M&S) tyres fitted.

Are you sure about this, I think that this would only apply if you had insured your car in Germany and not the UK.

Ross R75
23rd August 2007, 07:33
Are you sure about this, I think that this would only apply if you had insured your car in Germany and not the UK.

Yes. Your insurance only covers you with the minimum cover required by the law of the country you're driving in. The law in Germany states that winter or m&s tyres are required when driving on snow covered roads.

carlpenn
23rd August 2007, 07:40
Ross - Would I need the M + S Tyres then as I have basically ordered a full set recently of "All Weather" Tyres :( and could do without the extra expense?

We are having problems getting a (Family) Room anywhere at the moment too :( Rothenburg is almost Fully Booked - Though we havent tried any Local B & B's yet (Mainly because we haven't found any there !!)

I guess this is what happens when you make last minute decisions !! lol....

Volzhskyboy
23rd August 2007, 08:00
Yes. Your insurance only covers you with the minimum cover required by the law of the country you're driving in. The law in Germany states that winter or m&s tyres are required when driving on snow covered roads.

This is not strictly true.

"There is no definite legal regulation for the use of winter tyres, and in the case of an accident it needs to be decided on a case by case basis (except of course in e.g. mountainous areas where road signs clearly state that winter tyres are mandatory). Otherwise, only if it can be proven that the accident would not have happened w/ winter tyres, a driver may be made liable for part of the damage, though typically not exceeding 20%."

Taken from,

http://www.autorecht24.de/Recht_Gesetze/Ratgeber/Winterreifen/body_winterreifen.html

Translated version,

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.autorecht24.de/Recht_Gesetze/Ratgeber/Winterreifen/body_winterreifen.html&hl=en&langpair=de|en&tbb=1&ie=iso-8859-1

Ross R75
23rd August 2007, 11:17
Ross - Would I need the M + S Tyres then as I have basically ordered a full set recently of "All Weather" Tyres :( and could do without the extra expense?

We are having problems getting a (Family) Room anywhere at the moment too :( Rothenburg is almost Fully Booked - Though we havent tried any Local B & B's yet (Mainly because we haven't found any there !!)

I guess this is what happens when you make last minute decisions !! lol....

Hehe, the Christmas markets attract a lot of visitors. All weather/all season tyres should be marked "M&S with silica" on the sidewalls and they are fine for winter use in Germany.

This is not strictly true.

"There is no definite legal regulation for the use of winter tyres, and in the case of an accident it needs to be decided on a case by case basis (except of course in e.g. mountainous areas where road signs clearly state that winter tyres are mandatory). Otherwise, only if it can be proven that the accident would not have happened w/ winter tyres, a driver may be made liable for part of the damage, though typically not exceeding 20%."

I think most of us could do without the hassle of debating the above in a foreign court. Personally I'd rather fit all season or winter tyres and not have to worry about it. You could debate this point all day and go over the various loopholes, its similar to the aftermarket HID debate. The only way to be absolutely sure is to fit winter or all season tyres. This is why I mentioned it.

Volzhskyboy
23rd August 2007, 11:33
I think most of us could do without the hassle of debating the above in a foreign court. Personally I'd rather fit all season or winter tyres and not have to worry about it. You could debate this point all day and go over the various loopholes, its similar to the aftermarket HID debate. The only way to be absolutely sure is to fit winter or all season tyres. This is why I mentioned it.

I agree with the sentiment of your advice I was merely pointing out that if drivers wanted to they an visit Germany without having to fit winter tyres.

carlpenn
23rd August 2007, 11:33
Hehe, the Christmas markets attract a lot of visitors. All weather/all season tyres should be marked "M&S with silica" on the sidewalls and they are fine for winter use in Germany.

I know...........I accept that as a last minute decision, I would experience problems finding accommodation.

Glad the all Season tyres are ok - I dont see the point of having "Dry Weatehr" Tyres in the UK... !! lol ........

I am hoping that my Wife enjoys this trip a little more than she is showing at the moment - She doesnt like the Driving across Europe idea - Unlike me, I see it as an adventure !! lol.

Just got myself a 4 CD "Learn to speak German" pack ...... Try and at least show some level of intelligence ........ lol .......

Michal
23rd August 2007, 22:15
Remember that in some countries e.g. it is compulsory to have a fire extinguisher and a first-aid kit, among others :)