PDA

View Full Version : Shock Absorbers

Freebyrd
24th July 2011, 15:47
I'm sure this must have been asked previously, but: I intend to get my ZT-T (2002) fitted for towing. Are the standard rear shock absorbers suiteable or should 'uprated' shocks be fitted. New coil springs were fitted (all round) last year, so they will be Ok. I only intend to tow a 2 or 4 berth van with minimun equipment (no awning, bikes or other extras).

GaryC
25th July 2011, 18:07
Hello,
If your shocks are in good condition it'll be ok.
One thing i found is to make sure your noseweight of your caravan is around 75kg or lighter as the suspension does tend to bottom out on anything higher.
I know that the MAX noseweight is 100kg but that is it's maximum..
I tow a 1400kg caravan with no issues with my 75 tourer, with softer suspension.

G

Freebyrd
26th July 2011, 13:49
Hello,
If your shocks are in good condition it'll be ok.
One thing i found is to make sure your noseweight of your caravan is around 75kg or lighter as the suspension does tend to bottom out on anything higher.
I know that the MAX noseweight is 100kg but that is it's maximum..
I tow a 1400kg caravan with no issues with my 75 tourer, with softer suspension.

G
Thanks Gary, been told same elsewhere, just wanted a second opinion. Kwik Fit say standard shocks no good, (now there's a surprise:D)

Robson Rover Repair
27th July 2011, 03:10
If you dont have self leveling, then you could use BMW e46 rear coilover units, adjusted to a maximum height etc.

The rear struts both in with a 10mm dilled out to 12mm bolt, and the rear springs fit no issue including height adjuster.

Couple of clicks/turns with the spanner and you can raise and lower it to the perfect height for towing and if you get a decent set the ride quality will be as good, if not better.

As for the fronts..... thats an issue lol.