PDA

View Full Version : DD Nav problem - out of memory

Skipie
26th July 2011, 16:54
hi all,

ive got a rather big problem with the nav part of radioguy's DD unit. In best case, it works for 10-20 minutes, then i get an windows error saying "out of memory", as seen on the first pic.

Ive tried igo8, primo-that-was-on-the-card, and Tonys improved primo1.2. the old primo doesnt start, primo1.2 starts and works for max 5 minutes. Sometimes its out just after start (ive downloaded it via Sugarsync and put on a card, thanks MarkUK and Tony!). igo8 works a bit longer, up to 30minutes or next big town. in a city, it takes about 5sec between frames (screen updates) when zooming.

also, the sound coming from the nav is not working properly, it crackles. sounds to me like it would be not properly grounded. but then, the same card in the left slot generates a clear sound.

anyone an idea what might help?

regards, Marek

ps. since its my first post, maybe i should introduce myself. Im Marek, 26, got probably the only MG ZT 160 mk2 in switzerland (they were never sold neither here nor germany, mine's imported from hungary). its my first good car, love to tinker, but i have alot to learn... ;)

MARKUK
26th July 2011, 17:56
Marek,

It may be worth stripping out all the maps and POI's that you don't need on the SD card and seeing if that helps, also may be an idea to check the sys file and see how much memory is being allocated.

stevo snr
27th July 2011, 09:04
I've had this problem too using Igo8 in 3d mode, I just use 2d mode now.

ceedy
27th July 2011, 11:44
its worth changing the voice to non TTS type as this tends to gobble up memory.
See if it helps

C.

wutang
27th July 2011, 13:33
Is it one of the first generation units as I see it is running win CE 5, not 6 like the later ones. If so are you running the latest version of the Primo software as I think this is more memory intensive than the plain Igo 8.

The earlier units did have less memory than the second gen ones.

Richard

Skipie
28th July 2011, 14:53
thanks guys

yesterday i tried Igo8 in 2d mode and without any route: was stable for over 30min.
I also tried Tonys Primo1.2 again, because its so much better. Ive changed sys.txt file in 2 places: added "reserve_memory=1500000" and changed tts_buffer to 65536. i have also changed the voice to a non-tts one. using 2d map. at first, i was able to use it for 10-20min (changing options and such). now, for some reason, i cant even get to options: it runs out of memory during loading :(

i thought I'd try running without POI's and superfluous maps - how do i do that, just delete some files? which ones?

I also tried to speed up the IGO8 by deleting some stuff (like the 1800+ car pictures i cannot use because the device crashes ;). IGO8 comes up with an error now.

how do i disable / delete additional functions correcty?
is there anyone with a first generation unit(no TMC, winCE5) running Primo or igo8 3d? is this possible at all?

stux99
2nd August 2011, 19:39
I had this prob ages ago and a change of sd card did the trick, dont ask why, but it worked:shrug:

tony_fry
3rd August 2011, 06:35
thanks guys

yesterday i tried Igo8 in 2d mode and without any route: was stable for over 30min.
I also tried Tonys Primo1.2 again, because its so much better. Ive changed sys.txt file in 2 places: added "reserve_memory=1500000" and changed tts_buffer to 65536. i have also changed the voice to a non-tts one. using 2d map. at first, i was able to use it for 10-20min (changing options and such). now, for some reason, i cant even get to options: it runs out of memory during loading :(

i thought I'd try running without POI's and superfluous maps - how do i do that, just delete some files? which ones?

I also tried to speed up the IGO8 by deleting some stuff (like the 1800+ car pictures i cannot use because the device crashes ;). IGO8 comes up with an error now.

how do i disable / delete additional functions correcty?
is there anyone with a first generation unit(no TMC, winCE5) running Primo or igo8 3d? is this possible at all?

I would suggest you delete the "save" folder on the SD card, it uses it when you start up the SAT NAV program.

Skipie
3rd August 2011, 22:47
after many attempts I gave up on primo. people around the internets have with 64mb navs problems with "out of memory" errors, so running it stable on 32mb would be quite a stunt. if someone managed to archive that, PLEASE let me know how :) I have already tried 2 SD cards, the other one playing music flawlessly in the other slot did not work with primo either. will try deleting the save folder, this may solve the mistery why it started only once.

but there is also good news! I've reduced Igo8 content to what i need, updated the speedcams (btw, navifriends.com has a GREAT database of europe-wide speedcams, compatible with igo), and it works good! even in 3d mode, no "out of memory"! it crashed without any notice after a series of tunnels twice (same tunnels) - and i was not able to restart it, had to turn the key to shut it down. i can live with nav crashin once in a while, but how do i restart it? turning the motor off is not the best idea on the motorway, the turbo wouldnt like it either i imagine.
there's no other way for a cold restart, is there? how about fixing a switch to a cable to cut the power? there must be an easier way...

kinda unlucky with the car the last couple of days - discovered the coolant tank empty 2 days ago, topped it up, taking it to the mechanic tomorrow.
oh dear head gasket, not now:bowdown: . Oil cap is clean and no smoke, so i still have hope.

ps. just noticed that navifriends is german - pm if assistance needed :). i know, "never trust a german" and all (im not german, trust me ;) - but they have 24986 POIs with all kinds of speedcams. you can even download them as POI's for google earth. Conclusion after 3 days of testing: there are too many, old ones were not always deleted, yet the database seems to be fresh, last change was done 3h ago.