PDA

View Full Version : Idiot

seacat
20th November 2006, 09:51
Driving down the A12 yesterday evening, the road narrows from 3 lanes to two somewhere near Brentwood. There are huge signs showing that 3 lanes are going to two. As I moved out of the 3rd lane to enter what became a dual carriage way, there was horrible graunching sound. The car behind me tried to overtake where the road narrowed and wiped out his offside on the central resevation barrier.

Ah well, thats BMW drivers for you.

Keith
20th November 2006, 09:53
There are always crunches along there, I spent a good few years commuting from Braintree to Romford and back.

Now all I have to worry about are the odd Zebra crossing and the local wildlife getting in the way

baxlin
20th November 2006, 10:54
Seacat

Shame on you, didn't you know the B*W driver OWNED the road?

Ken
20th November 2006, 10:57
Seacat

Shame on you, didn't you know the B*W driver OWNED the road?

Not quite correct, the drivers company leases the piece of road the car is on at any given time ;)

Not sure if that includes the central reservation on the A12 though :lol:

baxlin
20th November 2006, 11:13
Ken,

I actually know someone who BOUGHT HIS OWN 320 diesel, for a lot, lot more than I paid for my CDT, and with fewer toys on it. Same engine though.....

biggles
20th November 2006, 12:06
Ken,

I actually know someone who BOUGHT HIS OWN 320 diesel, for a lot, lot more than I paid for my CDT, and with fewer toys on it. Same engine though.....

I have only one thing to say about that: If one has to go and buy a bimmer then do the proper thing and get a six cylinder one. That way you maybe get something in return for that extra money.

The biggest problem with BMWs is that they are not seldom driven by people who think they 1) are professional racing drivers 2) on the race track and 3) wrong on both counts.

I will probably get tarred and feathered for this... ;)

Pete
20th November 2006, 12:21
True yes; the perception of a typical BMW driver does tend to be more accurate than not BUT I would hope we do not sink so low as to start seeing BMW-bashing threads on here. That's how bad feeling enters a forum.

(Although I did allow myself a wry smile this morning when a 328 was pulled up about 5 miles or so after overtaking me on the M40, remaining in the overtaking lane way beyond what he needed to. Silly boy should have noticed the Police car on the bridge. Like I did. Some people eh?)

baxlin
20th November 2006, 12:26
Point taken Pete.

Saw this right idiot in a Vol*o the other day...............

Pete
20th November 2006, 12:31
Now Volvos - don't get me started on Volvos :rant:

:laughing2:

baxlin
20th November 2006, 12:35
Sad, I know, but that's one note I've put with my Will. "Please don't let my last ride be in a Volvo hearse". True.

biggles
20th November 2006, 12:52
True yes; the perception of a typical BMW driver does tend to be more accurate than not BUT I would hope we do not sink so low as to start seeing BMW-bashing threads on here. That's how bad feeling enters a forum.

Being the proud owner of a 1990 BMW 325i convertible I would certainly take offense if the bashing would get too serious. :)

Kandyman
20th November 2006, 13:56
No bashing going on in here :)

It's not just BMW drivers that hog the road.............. it's all non rover drivers that get in my way ;)

The car i had before this was a BMW 525 TDSE 1996, it was a great car and i had it for 2 years without a problem

baxlin
20th November 2006, 14:33
Biggles, I have to admit I've never driven a BMW or a Volvo for that matter, so any "bashing" I do is either bandwagon and therefore for a laugh, or frankly as a result of experiences over 40+ years of motoring (in the UK!).

However, the reason for this post is not to offend, but to ask, in all honesty, do you have a different driving approach when driving the BMW? (apart from enjoyng the jealous looks you get as it's a convertible)

Malcolm

windrush
20th November 2006, 15:35
Driving down the A12 yesterday evening, the road narrows from 3 lanes to two somewhere near Brentwood. There are huge signs showing that 3 lanes are going to two. As I moved out of the 3rd lane to enter what became a dual carriage way, there was horrible graunching sound. The car behind me tried to overtake where the road narrowed and wiped out his offside on the central resevation barrier.

Well that brought a smile to my face for to day

driverjgp
20th November 2006, 20:01

I know that bit of the A12 as I'm from Woodbridge n.r Ipswich, I've seen a few near accidents there.

Womble
21st November 2006, 05:55
It's not just BMW drivers that hog the road.............. it's all non rover drivers that get in my way ;)

Hmm..... I think you might find half of this forum tending to disagree with that! :) ... The faster half! :D

I was once one of four people held up in a traffic queue behind a Primrose Yellow Rover 75 driving through Richmond park at a steady 18mph. Now of course I should point out that the speed limit through Richmond park is only 20mph, so the poor chap was only driving within the speed limit, but the other 4 of us were all on push bikes! :D Right the way through the park, this poor guy had dog walkers and the like pointing at him and laughing. How he managed to resist the temptation to just put his foot down enough to pull away from us, I really don't know! :D

biggles
21st November 2006, 07:37
Biggles, I have to admit I've never driven a BMW or a Volvo for that matter, so any "bashing" I do is either bandwagon and therefore for a laugh, or frankly as a result of experiences over 40+ years of motoring (in the UK!).

However, the reason for this post is not to offend, but to ask, in all honesty, do you have a different driving approach when driving the BMW? (apart from enjoyng the jealous looks you get as it's a convertible)

Malcolm

I think my approach to driving as such is not much different between the 75 and the BMW. I would say I am a pretty cautious driver. That said, I do drive them differently - the BMW loves going fast around tight corners. Best environment for that car is a countryside 45-55 mph road with lots of tight curves (roof down of course :D Doing that with the 75 could probably make you seasick in comparison.

So, in all honesty, yes I do have another style while driving the BMW. Having passed 35 years of age I also am pretty much past breaking speed limits (at least not significantly). You'll get there anyway, and if it's fun you're after you just need to find a suitable road. And as there probably is just a pinch higher risk in the BMW driving there are offsetting factors such as active driving keeping you more alert - dozing along at 65 mph in the 75 on freeway (what's that called in the U.K?) with cruise control on does not do much in that department.

Being such a perfect driver ;) , there are still things that still irritates me:

1. People overtaking around corners, pushing sudden opposing traffic out on the shoulder.
2. People driving 5 km/h UNDER the legal speed limit. All the time. No matter what.
3. People 0,5 meters from my rear bumper on the freeway, frenetically flashing their lights to push me out of the way while I'm overtaking a number of cars doing 2) above.

It's probably like this: There are a lot or people with a bad attitude to driving in a way that will a risk to their own safety as well to others. These kind of drivers will probably be quite attracted to a high power BMW.

And everyone: No offense taken. None. The abundance of different smileys nonwithstanding, internet forums are challenging when it comes to getting the right message through. :)

Simon
21st November 2006, 19:11
I don't have a particular oposition to different car drivers, except the young and stupid. Now, we were all young once, but I never remember feeling the need to drive at 60mph, 1 foot from the car in front in a 30mph zone just because "it felt like fun". I saw this happen the other night.

It's times like these I wish I had some blue lights on my car. Oh what fun I could have! :D

Simon
21st November 2006, 19:15
I don't have a particular oposition to different car drivers, except the young and stupid. Now, we were all young once, but I never remember feeling the need to drive at 60mph, 1 foot from the car in front in a 30mph zone just because "it felt like fun". I saw this happen the other night.

It's times like these I wish I had some blue lights on my car. Oh what fun I could have! :D :driving::cool:

Never the less, young boy-racers seem to be getting worse and worse. I admit I may have not been the perfect young driver and I may have made mistakes but still - theres no excuse for blatant stupidity. :mad:

Rep-mobiles on the motorways are also slightly annoying in that they drive up to your bumper making you pull-over for them to overtake. I can kind of sympathise with them as they do usually have appoinments to keep.

All in all, slower driving, within posted speed limits, enjoying the scenery is much more enjoyable. Plus - I get to listen to whole albums on my journeys! Ace! :D

crofts
21st November 2006, 23:30
Now Volvos - don't get me started on Volvos :rant:

:laughing2:

Or me, they're my pet hate. Actually it's not the cars it's the stupid bl**dy driver most of the time
'Bought a Volvo cause they're so safe if you have an accident'
Madam, its you that caused the accident !:eek: