PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Amplifier

Checker09
2nd August 2011, 10:20
Hi Guys!

I need help! I have problems with the aerial amplifier. I just want to hear radio, with a good quality, so i have to wire up the aerial in my back window. The problem is, that the aerial amplifier has a wired plug. DO i need any adaptor or something like that?

Cheers Niki

Ps: Here is a photo of my aerial amplifier

petergw60
2nd August 2011, 22:59
Hi Guys!

I need help! I have problems with the aerial amplifier. I just want to hear radio, with a good quality, so i have to wire up the aerial in my back window. The problem is, that the aerial amplifier has a wired plug. DO i need any adaptor or something like that?

Cheers Niki

Ps: Here is a photo of my aerial amplifier

Hi Niki

Looks like you have the diversity amplifier, same as me. I have been having problems getting a decent signal from the unit.
I connected my aerial to the lead that was removed from the opriginal radio in the boot. Feed the cable to the front of the car to plug into your new head unit. As recommended by Harry I also replaced the aerial connector on that lead with a standard plug and used an extension cable. I have not quite given up hope but due to the differences between the early models and later ones which do not have diversity, we may be stuck with poor reception. Do check that you are getting a 12v feed to your amplifier as this will have been lost when you disconnected your old head unit.
You could always cut off the plug with a short length of lead at the diversity and splice in an extension from there - I didn't do this as I wanted to try and keep existing wiring intact.
I am waiting for a few more parts to arrive before my next experiment - if successful will post on the forum.
Regards,
Peter

HarryM1BYT
6th August 2011, 07:38
Sorry I can't give much help with the diversity type of antenna systems, mine is a Mk II 75. I just don't have one available to me, to experiment with.

As Peter suggested, make sure you have a full 12v going to the amp as an absolute first step.

Basically the diversity amp expects AVC feedback from the radio, to tell it which of the two antennas works best. My Hiline radio in the boot had a socket to provide the feedback, but it wasn't used. Your new DD does not provide that feedback.

I don't know what Peters next experiment might be, but if it were me trying to solve this problem - I would be thinking along the lines of replacing the diversity amp with a standard none diversity one. Either the later Rover amp, or one of the amps used for TMC reception. Then just connect the amp across one of the two rear window antennas.

Checker09
8th August 2011, 15:11
I just dont know what i can do now ! ich have no radio, i just bought a normal car aerial and have it under the engine hood, but this is not workingm uch better. The DVB-T Tuner have also a very bad signal and thats just annoying. Sometimes I have a signal and the traffic information is interrupting my music. I love the DD but the radio signal and the steering wheel controls are freaking me out :banghead:. Thank you for your fast reply I hope that soon anyone will have some other "easier" solutions.

Cheers Niki

HarryM1BYT
8th August 2011, 17:56
You cannot expect an antenna to work when enclosed by a Faraday screen (under your car's bonnet). Better would be a length of wire laid along the rear screen and connected to an amp, then on to the DD. An amp seems to be essential for modern radios.

petergw60
8th August 2011, 23:07
You should be able to get the radio to function using an extension from where the original radio was fitted up to the new DD unit. As Harry said, you will not receive a thing with and aerial under the bonnet. Because you have the diversity aerial amplifier it will not be brilliant but should drag in most stations. Low power local stations will not have the same range as before and will be more likely to suffer from interference. I managed to travel from Cambridge to Liverpool at the weekend listening to Radio 4, RDS changed the frequencies as I travelled although there were a few instances of pops and hissing at times. As the BBC signals tend to be reasonably strong this was just about acceptable. If you have the TMC option then you will need a separate aerial amplifier such as MarkUK is providing (or build your own as I did!).
The rear window in the older cars actually has 3 FM aerials and an AM aerial which feed into the diversity amplifier. The system was controlled by an IF signal output from the radio to determine best signal for station being listened to. As this signal will no longer be present, the aerial amplifier cannot function as originally intended. I am hoping to have a go at determining if there is a way of combining some of these aerials and possibly passing through a separate amplifier more like the later non-diversity system. My local radio station drops out as I drive to work so if I can improve on the signal and stop this from happening I will be very happy! Will not be able to do this until the weekend - if I am alowed to spend the time by "the boss".

HinckleyGraham
11th August 2011, 15:20
Hi all,i have recently bought a 53 plate conni diesel for my wife and are having very poor radio reception.Installed is the CR80 radio/cd in the boot,i have tested the amp and i am getting power to it,also if i disconnect the radio aerial connection at the amp i lose the radio signal,which i feel proves the amp is working ok.This is an non diversity amp.MW/LW band is fine it is only effecting FM when driving around,when static the radio is ok.
I have read the numerous posts on here which have been a great source of info,thank you,i am now at a loss of what to do.
Other members have said the cr80 was not much cop others have had different views.Can anybody suggest what i could do now?
Should i change the head unit?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Graham