PDA

View Full Version : DD overheating?

Ajd1
3rd August 2011, 14:26
Has anyone had a problem with their unit overheating?

I think that's what's happening to mine, when the dash clocks show around 25 degrees or above.

It comes up with primo has encountered a serious error and has to shut down, there's a box to click ok.

Once you've clicked ok it wont start up again until the ignition is turned off and on again, and of course it falls over again.

Never have a problem with it until the heat gets up, not too worried about it as we dont seem to have too many days like this.

Just wondered if anyone has encountered anything similar.

Andy

MARKUK
3rd August 2011, 15:27
I have some issues when the weather is very hot with Igo...

It loses settings for some strange reason !

HarryM1BYT
3rd August 2011, 17:27
Has anyone had a problem with their unit overheating?

Just wondered if anyone has encountered anything similar.

Andy

Yes I had some trouble with it earlier in the year during the course of a 6 hour run. The satnav gradually drifted off the Welsh mountain roads and seemed to think we were going miles off road. It would not recover until I did a complete restart. I put that down to overheating, because it was quite warm and it had been running a long time.

We did originally belive it could do with a small PC fan just to encourage the air to move through the unit - but no conclusion was arrived at, or tests done.

Ajd1
3rd August 2011, 20:17
Funny it seems to be just the sat nav side.

Good idea about the fans, I wonder if there's any way of directing an air flow around the unit.

Will have a looksee over the weekend I think.

HarryM1BYT
3rd August 2011, 21:18
It does seem to be the intensive processing needed by the satnav which triggers it.

I think it needs a fan blowing through the case, rather than just around it. The problem is do we blow the behind the dash warm air in, or draw air in via the CD slot from the interior, possibly drawing dust in too. It doesn't need to be a large one as used for a CPU, one of the smaller size as used for a graphics processor would likely be enough.

Ajd1
3rd August 2011, 22:06
That's the problem I think, getting cool enough air into the unit.

You've got me thinking now though, think i've got some spare graphics card fans lying about.

MARKUK
4th August 2011, 09:44
We looked at the possibilty of using a smal fan before...

The issue is not only getting cool air to the unit, it's how to exhaust the hot air from the unit as if you are exhausting into the same area as you are pulling the cool air then all you do is cycle the same air !......

Ajd1
4th August 2011, 13:37
You make a good point there, might just be best to put up with it I suppose.

Andy