PDA

View Full Version : VIS Help

Skud Kid
20th November 2006, 14:18
On good authority i have been told that my car has a problem with the vis valves. Can i just check that this causes

A rattling noise from the rear intake manifold, low power till 4000rpm, lumpy idle and high fuel usage

If this is the valves could you please tell me what the vis valves are, or the part number would be even better

I believe there are 2 valves mounted on the manifold, one is a balancing valve and the other called a butterfly motor valve, which one is the vis as even the trained rover mechanics didnt know what a vis valve is

Please help

Mark

Mike
20th November 2006, 14:24
vis = 'variable intake system'

You have two vis motors on your inlet manifold, one for the butterfly valve and one for the balance valve. The symptoms you describe do strongly suggest motor failure.

Garages often say replace the entire manifold (iirc £600 inc labour:eek: ) but often fitting new motors will be sufficient (£60 each) and a lot cheaper -also you can fit yourself in 5 minutes.

I'll dig out a pic in a mo showing the location of the two motors

hth

Mike

Skud Kid
20th November 2006, 14:28
Thanks mike, i think i will just be replacing the valve but it is on the warrenty so im not paying, although if i fit i can have the part tomorrow.

That pic didnt seem to work mate

thanks for any advice fitting

Mike
20th November 2006, 14:29
See pic. The balance valve motor is in the black plastic box located at the lh end of the manifold unit and ringed in the pic. The butterfly motor is behind the balance valve motor, again on the lh end of the manifold, and sited against the rear bulkhead. Both have an electrical plug going in to them.

hth

Mike

http://www.midnightphotos.co.uk/userimages/full/12/3726.jpg

Skud Kid
20th November 2006, 14:30
Spot on mate thanks very much, so its the motor one and not the balancing valve

thanks again

Mike
20th November 2006, 14:35
Spot on mate thanks very much, so its the motor one and not the balancing valve

thanks again

Both the balance valve (ringed in pic) and the butterfly valve (against bulkhead) have motors. My advice is to get both motors replaced as it is under warranty :)

Mike
20th November 2006, 14:36
ps if you are able please retain both old motors as they will be useful to the club in helping members :)

Skud Kid
20th November 2006, 14:49
I wil keep the valves but if you would like i dont mind sending them to you. Whatever is good

Mike
20th November 2006, 14:52
Cheers - I'll pm you the address :)

Skud Kid
24th November 2006, 00:42
Well i changed the VIS valves and balance valve today and the car i bought has just gotten much better. Since the day i bought the car it hasnt been running right, replaced the valves today (big thank you to mike) and its fantastic, pulls all the way through the rev range now and the rattling/ticking noise has gone

Mike i have the old valves if you still want them in case it was only one that was broken

Mike
24th November 2006, 04:25
Well i changed the VIS valves and balance valve today and the car i bought has just gotten much better. Since the day i bought the car it hasnt been running right, replaced the valves today (big thank you to mike) and its fantastic, pulls all the way through the rev range now and the rattling/ticking noise has gone

Mike i have the old valves if you still want them in case it was only one that was broken

That's great news Skud. Now enjoy the smoothness and power :D

pm sent

Mike

rick_hunter
17th August 2007, 12:08
Hi,

I just wanted to know whether you had the motors and valves replaced or just the motors or just the valves?

Keith
17th August 2007, 12:39
Rick

If the Manifold is rattling then you probably are looking at a replacement manifold which comes with two new motors.

If one or more of the butterfly valves in the manifold have broken it is a replacement job approx £500

If it is not rattling but you have had the motors tested on testbook and they are found faulty then each motor is around £50

Worth trying to repair them first, take a look in the Howto section