PDA

View Full Version : Help! I have nearly killed my ZTT

colinjyates
20th November 2006, 14:24
Hi Chaps,

Sorry for the dramatic title but..

Last week I hit a kerb full on at approx 40-50 mph and have damaged both O/S wheels. The car was left undriveable as I had damaged the front wheel so badly it was resting on the spring.

I am having to claim throuigh the Insurance, but I called the garage today and they were a bit sketchy about the repairs - saying it could be 2 weeks! with 16hrs labour.

In essence they said I have damaged the subframe. Now I'm not that techy so can somebody help explain to me what damage I have done and how serious it may be.

Thanks

Dave Goody
20th November 2006, 15:09
Hi Chaps,

Sorry for the dramatic title but..

Last week I hit a kerb full on at approx 40-50 mph and have damaged both O/S wheels. The car was left undriveable as I had damaged the front wheel so badly it was resting on the spring.

I am having to claim throuigh the Insurance, but I called the garage today and they were a bit sketchy about the repairs - saying it could be 2 weeks! with 16hrs labour.

In essence they said I have damaged the subframe. Now I'm not that techy so can somebody help explain to me what damage I have done and how seriousThanks

it may be.

Sorry to hear that Colin,
I think we would need a bit more info ?? How much is subframe damaged? What parts need replacing? Depending on age of car, could be write off ?? Dave

colinjyates
20th November 2006, 15:22
The vehicle is an 04 reg ZTT 190SE - approx value £12-13k

Not sure how much is damaged at this stage - still waiting for the dealer to come back to me.

Thanks

CMPQS
20th November 2006, 16:11
If it helps give an idea of cost er in doors had an argument in my 04 190 SE with a kerb & lost, although it doesn't sound as serious as yours. The net result was still 2 new alloys & tyres & suspension struts and a rear wheel bearing. Four wheel aline & a bill of £1350.

The garage (ex MGR now Subaru) had no problems in getting the parts tho.

GreyGhost
20th November 2006, 16:18
If sub frames are damaged they will need to be straightened out and the whole laser aligned back to factory spec, plus any bent or damaged parts as quoted by CMPQS.
Do the doors and bonnet still fit?
All repairable at some considerable cost. Exactly what I could not say.

colinjyates
20th November 2006, 16:43
No damage to the bodywork, but both alloys/tyres on the drivers side knackered.

GreyGhost
20th November 2006, 16:50
No damage to the bodywork, but both alloys/tyres on the drivers side knackered.

If doors and bonnet still fit nicely then I suspect minimal damage to Chassis or what passes for chassis these days. (Sub frames)

colinjyates
20th November 2006, 18:11
The bonnet fits as well as can be expected for a facelift model!

Simon
20th November 2006, 20:53
Speaking of a similar incident with a kerb and a Honda Civic (spun on ice). I damaged the rear suspension assembly. Complete suspension assembly was required for the damaged wheel in question. Entire cost was over £1000. This was on a 10 year old car. I rather suspect the damage to your car could run into a few thousand pounds, but this is only speculation.

The trouble with higher speed impacts is the amount of energy transfered/absorbed by the car is pretty susbtantial. I would expect there to be damage that you cannot see, for example cracked welds or components that have become dislodged from their original positions.

If I were you, I'd expect the worse. That way, it wont be (hopefully) too much of a shock if the repair cost does end up more than our highest estimates. :(