PDA

View Full Version : Storing/saving iGO settings.

VVC-Geeza
11th August 2011, 14:05
Has anyone successfully been able to store/save the iGO settings in the DD unit?If so how did you do it?

I now have my nav set exactly how i want it but i dread the thought of a power interuption and having to go through it all again.

HarryM1BYT
11th August 2011, 17:21
The obvious way, would be to copy the entire Igo or Primo directory into another directory either on the card, or on a PC, or onto a second SD Card.

VVC-Geeza
11th August 2011, 17:36
The obvious way, would be to copy the entire Igo or Primo directory into another directory either on the card, or on a PC, or onto a second SD Card.

You've lost me there i'm afraid Harry.

Probably talking out of my back side (again) here but aren't the settings saved in the unit rather than on the card?

HarryM1BYT
11th August 2011, 20:30
You've lost me there i'm afraid Harry.

Probably talking out of my back side (again) here but aren't the settings saved in the unit rather than on the card?

I suppose it depends upon which settings you mean. Most of the settings seem to be saved in a file on the card - the basic configuration, skin and favorites etc..

I can't really imagine it would need to save anything in the unit, apart from the directory from which it should boot the software.

On those occaisions when I've updated the software, maps etc. it has always seemed to have lost my own personal settings and gained who ever has provided the software's settings.

Too confirm it just try making a back up copy of the software onto another card, then try messing with the settings.

VVC-Geeza
12th August 2011, 11:45
Right,i have followed Mark's intruction vid regarding saving user data and i get the same error message " failed - check storage card "
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheVanBastensUK#p/u/0/pvrkIfgrlfY

Could this be because the unit dosen't like the card supplied by Tony for this particular function?

Would coppying onto a different card make any difference?

Tony,did you get my email regarding this?

I would also be interested to hear Sean's view.

MARKUK
12th August 2011, 15:30
I have tried different cards, still no joy...

I think it's a software thing, although my previous version used to work in my single din unit..

VVC-Geeza
12th August 2011, 16:28
I have tried different cards, still no joy...

I think it's a software thing, although my previous version used to work in my single din unit..

Could be a red herring that the error message points to the card then :shrug:

Begiorlegi
13th August 2011, 00:13
Has anyone successfully been able to store/save the iGO settings in the DD unit?If so how did you do it?

Hi Mick.
I've never tried it before, but after reading your post I've tried and had no problem to save the backup following Mark's instructions.
The only new thing I can say is that I have the IGO 8.3.2 version, and mine is an 8GB card.
I have a "backup" folder in the root of my mini SD card, and inside the IGO folder another one called "save". When you are making a backup I imagine you're "copying" the content from the "save" folder to the "backup" one. So, check you have both folders in your card. If yours is a 2GB one maybe it can be a storage capacity problem, depending on what you're trying to save.

I have my copies in my PC and laptop, just in case. I agree with Harry, you don't save anything in the DD unit, but the directory from which you boot the software.

Regards.

Begiorlegi
13th August 2011, 01:33
By the way, when I said

"I've tried and had no problem to save the backup following Mark's instructions", I was talking about saving in the card, not in DD unit.

HarryM1BYT
13th August 2011, 08:28
So I guess you are discussing saving Igo's settings save.

Has anyone found a similar save option in Primo?

Radioguy
14th August 2011, 13:26
Well settings of IGO8 are not SAVED persay

They are added or subtracted or enhanced usually via the SYS.txt file

Think of it as a Word Document, You have to make changes to the program to enhance or alter the program and that can only be done by reprogramming.
The head unit is like the computer that just reads the settings.
As most know , you can add many of lines to the sys.txt files from skins to adding graphics. But you really should know what your doing and have a good, working original copy to revert too

Have a look here , And this is Only for VIEWING,

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?1010-Sys.txt-for-iGO8-all-(-)-800-lines-possible

Sean

Radioguy
14th August 2011, 13:27
The sys.txt is sort of like the language that gives the commands to the program.

VVC-Geeza
14th August 2011, 15:39
Well settings of IGO8 are not SAVED persay

They are added or subtracted or enhanced usually via the SYS.txt file

Think of it as a Word Document, You have to make changes to the program to enhance or alter the program and that can only be done by reprogramming.
The head unit is like the computer that just reads the settings.

Sean

Are these 'changes' lost in the event of a battery disconnection?

Radioguy
14th August 2011, 23:04
No They are not

VVC-Geeza
14th August 2011, 23:07
No They are not

Thanks Sean.

MARKUK
15th August 2011, 00:33
I beg to differ....

The point of saving the "user" settings is to save your sys file and favorites etc..

This used to work on my version of igo 8.32 on my single din, so if you needed to reset Igo back to factory pre sets,
you could get back the settings without having to muck about with all the menu options etc..

As discussed here however, it has never worked for me with the version we are using...

VVC-Geeza
15th August 2011, 16:05
I beg to differ....

The point of saving the "user" settings is to save your sys file and favorites etc..

This used to work on my version of igo 8.32 on my single din, so if you needed to reset Igo back to factory pre sets,
you could get back the settings without having to muck about with all the menu options etc..

As discussed here however, it has never worked for me with the version we are using...

Did you read Eliseo's post (no 8) Mark?

He is using iGO 8-3-2 and he had no trouble saving it using your instructions.Very strange :confused:

MARKUK
15th August 2011, 16:07
Yep, saw that, that's why I believe it's the version we have and the possible hacks that enable it to be used on the DD...

wutang
15th August 2011, 17:03
Just to add my two penny's worth, I am using Primo and have it set up just the way I like it, at first it did drop the user settings but not every time. did a bit of playing around reset everything in the menu and set it to save user preferances and the exited the software via the menu, then restarted software, never lost a single setting since, when it is exiting is when it saves everything.

Richard

Robson Rover Repair
16th August 2011, 20:47
I constantly have issues with Primo with saving my settings, its to the stage I dont even use it now unless I have to.

Igo 8 didnt do that but the maps where years out of date.

HarryM1BYT
16th August 2011, 21:39
Just to add my two penny's worth, I am using Primo and have it set up just the way I like it, at first it did drop the user settings but not every time. did a bit of playing around reset everything in the menu and set it to save user preferances and the exited the software via the menu, then restarted software, never lost a single setting since, when it is exiting is when it saves everything.

Richard

I've not yet found the 'save' in Primo Richard, could you give me some clues as to where to find it please?

Radioguy
17th August 2011, 01:34
I constantly have issues with Primo with saving my settings, its to the stage I dont even use it now unless I have to.

Igo 8 didnt do that but the maps where years out of date.

Colin
Can I Send you up to date maps ?

Robson Rover Repair
17th August 2011, 02:02
Ive tried several updates now from Tony Fry and the issue remains, it seems to not save whenever I switch the unit off maybe 50% of the time. :(

wutang
17th August 2011, 08:47
I've not yet found the 'save' in Primo Richard, could you give me some clues as to where to find it please?

Hi Harry,

I will go out at lunch time and try and remember where it was.

I may even remember to take some pictures!

Richard

HarryM1BYT
17th August 2011, 18:46
Hi Harry,

I will go out at lunch time and try and remember where it was.

I may even remember to take some pictures!

Richard

That is a long lunch :getmecoat:

StuartB
18th August 2011, 06:50
To save settings in Primo:-

In main menu select:- More/Settings/User Data Management. There is an option to save (and one to restore your saved settings) and also a tick box if you want it to save automatically each time you close down.

Cheers

Stuart

VVC-Geeza
18th August 2011, 07:05

In main menu select:- More/Settings/User Data Management. There is an option to save (and one to restore your saved settings) and also a tick box if you want it to save automatically each time you close down.

Cheers

Stuart

Same as iGO,trouble is it won't save :shrug:

wutang
18th August 2011, 08:39
That is a long lunch :getmecoat:

Sorry Harry, somthing came up, the saving procedure as above is the one I used, you must then exit the software as this should be when it performs the save opperation, after that whenever you turn it on it will reference that file to set itself up the way you like it.

Remember if you tweek things you need to perform the exit proceedure again, as when you pull the ignition key out it just cuts the power and does not shut down in what I think of as safe mode.

Richard

StuartB
18th August 2011, 11:06
Same as iGO,trouble is it won't save :shrug:

Ah I wonder why. I did get the error message like everyone else in IGO 8, but no such error messages in Primo. Must admit I've not tried to restore what I've saved to test it (or looked on the card via the pc for anything). Just hoped as no error message it had saved.

I do also back up (on my pc) the system.ini file in the save folder as this is where many settings/adjustments are stored.

I'll post again when I've been able to check on what I thought had saved

Cheers

Stuart

UPDATE:- Richard's post above confirms the process, especially note the part about closing the software/sat nav program

HarryM1BYT
18th August 2011, 18:31

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Stuart...

Tried More/Settings/User Data Management, the User Data Management button is not there.

StuartB
19th August 2011, 06:28
Hi Stuart...

Tried More/Settings/User Data Management, the User Data Management button is not there.

Hi Harry - Sorry, possibly a silly question, but have you scrolled down through the list of options in "settings" as it's right at the end?

Cheers

Stuart

HarryM1BYT
19th August 2011, 22:18
Yes, right down to the bottom of the list, but I have a bit more time this week to have good look for it.

HarryM1BYT
20th August 2011, 20:28
Hi Harry - Sorry, possibly a silly question, but have you scrolled down through the list of options in "settings" as it's right at the end?

Hi Stuart - definately not in the list of my copy of Primo...

Menu> More> Settings produces only these items...

Sounds and Warnings
Customise Quickmenu
Driving Time Manager
Traffic
Route Settings
Map Settings
Visual Guidance
Display
Regional
Trip Monitor
Log Collection
Start Configuration Wizard
Reset to Defaults

Could your 'Save Settings' be hidden in one of those?

HarryM1BYT
21st August 2011, 16:51
Hi Stuart - definately not in the list of my copy of Primo...

Menu> More> Settings produces only these items...

Could your 'Save Settings' be hidden in one of those?

I have now found it - it is in the GJ skin settings, which I have just re-enabled. The GJ skin was disabled when it crashed a while back and I have just renabled it. Save seems to work, but not the restore - it complains something about the SD card.

StuartB
22nd August 2011, 07:47
I have now found it - it is in the GJ skin settings, which I have just re-enabled. The GJ skin was disabled when it crashed a while back and I have just renabled it. Save seems to work, but not the restore - it complains something about the SD card.

Hi Harry

I've not tried the restore (as not needed to), but will try it later this morning and let you know what success, if any, I have.

Cheers

Stuart

StuartB
22nd August 2011, 13:02
Hi Harry

I've not tried the restore (as not needed to), but will try it later this morning and let you know what success, if any, I have.

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Harry - No luck either I'm afraid to say. A few moments afetr pressing the restore user data button I get a message saying "Database restore failed!"

Anyone else have any ideas?

Cheers

Stuart

HarryM1BYT
22nd August 2011, 16:01
Hi Harry - No luck either I'm afraid to say. A few moments afetr pressing the restore user data button I get a message saying "Database restore failed!"

Anyone else have any ideas?

Cheers

Stuart

The save appeared to work, or at least not complain - however the complaint on save seems to be extremely delayed, by around five or ten minutes.

[EDIT]

I tried adding a 'backup' directory to the route of the card, but it didn't help. I also checked the save directory in the Primo folder, it had lots of files in it which had been updated during the course of today (extensive use of the satnav), but none had been updated around the time I had tried to save after adding the backup directory. Not sure how to proceed now?

Obviously if it is not saving, then it cannot restore. I'll take a look at the directory structure on the card - there might be a directory perhaps missing.

HarryM1BYT
24th August 2011, 10:12
I think the only way around this problem at the moment, is to manually do a copy of the Primo/save directory into a save2 folder on the card. The only way to do that is by putting the card into a PC and of course the only way to restore it is via PC.

StuartB
24th August 2011, 12:22
I think the only way around this problem at the moment, is to manually do a copy of the Primo/save directory into a save2 folder on the card. The only way to do that is by putting the card into a PC and of course the only way to restore it is via PC.

Hi Harry

I agree. On IGO8 I used to copy the sys.ini file on my pc, but in Primo best to save to whole "save" folder as you suggest.

Cheers

Stuart