PDA

View Full Version : iPod & DD

Tinyflier
19th August 2011, 09:02
I connected my iPod and got the screen that shows it was connected and it also showed the list of albums etc on my iPod BUT darned thing simply would NOT play! I could scroll through albums, artists etc using the DD screen controls but that is as far as it would let me go.

So in irritation I took the cable out of the iPod and it continued to show the message "OK to disconnect" but was utterly frozen until battery exhausted then came back to normal use. (Admittedly I have only tried it once though!)

Fixable? How? Or just live with it?

Presumably the DD slot that said SD on the lower left will let me put an SD card loaded with music in (should I never manage to get the iPod to work)?

David

StuartB
19th August 2011, 10:33
Yes you can load up an SD card and play your files from it. Just select SD card from the menu.

Are you trying to play the ipod from the dial on DD (ie pushing it to select track) or using the touch screen play button (touching the top of the screen to bring the buttons up at the bottom of the screen)?

Cheers

Stuart

Tinyflier
19th August 2011, 10:41
Are you trying to play the ipod from the dial on DD (ie pushing it to select track) or using the touch screen play button (touching the top of the screen to bring the buttons up at the bottom of the screen)?

Stuart

I think I was trying to use the on screen buttons not the transient ones that appear at the bottom. Which do you think I should be using?

David

StuartB
19th August 2011, 10:50
I think I was trying to use the on screen buttons not the transient ones that appear at the bottom. Which do you think I should be using?

David

Hi David

I use the right hand "knob" rather than on-screen buttons. Turn to run up and down through the albums etc then press the knob to select and therefore play. Hope that helps

Cheers

Stuart

Tinyflier
19th August 2011, 11:10
Hi David

I use the right hand "knob" rather than on-screen buttons. Turn to run up and down through the albums etc then press the knob to select and therefore play. Hope that helps

Cheers

Stuart

Will give it a try at the weekend - many thanks Stuart!

David

StuartB
19th August 2011, 11:41
Will give it a try at the weekend - many thanks Stuart!

David

You are very welcome :}

Tinyflier
19th August 2011, 20:05
Ok, using the right side knob and bottom buttons made the iPod play but when I turned the ignition, and therefore DD off, it did not turn the iPod off.

By the time I came back to the car, my iPod battery was exhausted and wouldn't play.

I thought the DD charged the iPod at the same time as playing it?

Anyone any more clues?

David

StuartB
22nd August 2011, 07:52
Ok, using the right side knob and bottom buttons made the iPod play but when I turned the ignition, and therefore DD off, it did not turn the iPod off.

By the time I came back to the car, my iPod battery was exhausted and wouldn't play.

I thought the DD charged the iPod at the same time as playing it?

Anyone any more clues?

David

Hi David

Yes you are right, the DD should power and charge the ipod (certainly does in mine). What version of ipod are you using? (Perhaps a compatability issue)!

Cheers

Stuart

Tinyflier
22nd August 2011, 08:41
Hi David

Yes you are right, the DD should power and charge the ipod (certainly does in mine). What version of ipod are you using? (Perhaps a compatability issue)!

Cheers

Stuart

Interesting postulation Stuart. I was trying it out with my Classic, I also have a Nano - will give it a go with that that one later this evening.

Have you been able to use "Shuffle" when playing your iPod through the DD? I did find a setting (somewhere...) in the DD that said "SHuffle off" but couldn't find a key/buttin press that turned it to "on" (assuming of course the "shuffle off" command was a setting not a personal directive!).

David

StuartB
22nd August 2011, 12:42
Interesting postulation Stuart. I was trying it out with my Classic, I also have a Nano - will give it a go with that that one later this evening.

Have you been able to use "Shuffle" when playing your iPod through the DD? I did find a setting (somewhere...) in the DD that said "SHuffle off" but couldn't find a key/buttin press that turned it to "on" (assuming of course the "shuffle off" command was a setting not a personal directive!).

David

Hi David

I have the Nano 5th Generation and do recall posts on here sometime last year suggesting it may not work with some older ipods. Perhaps someone else can remember (or doing a search may find the thread). Yes you can use shuffle via the DD.

Using the right hand knob/button turn it to settings, then press button to select, select shuffle/shuffle songs then touch the top of the screen to bring up the virtual buttons on the bottom of the screen. Press ">>" button twice, then "Menu" button twice, then as you will see the DD screen is back to where you can select music etc using the right hand knob/button. Select your first song and it'll shuffle after that.

Hope this makes sense as always easier to do than describe!

It will not remember this though, so once you switch the DD off (perhaps at the petrol station) or switch to another source (radio for example) for a moment you'll have to do that again to get in back in shuffle mode.

Cheers

Stuart

Tinyflier
22nd August 2011, 15:21
Hi David

I have the Nano 5th Generation and do recall posts on here sometime last year suggesting it may not work with some older ipods. Perhaps someone else can remember (or doing a search may find the thread). Yes you can use shuffle via the DD.

Using the right hand knob/button turn it to settings, then press button to select, select shuffle/shuffle songs then touch the top of the screen to bring up the virtual buttons on the bottom of the screen. Press ">>" button twice, then "Menu" button twice, then as you will see the DD screen is back to where you can select music etc using the right hand knob/button. Select your first song and it'll shuffle after that.

Hope this makes sense as always easier to do than describe!

It will not remember this though, so once you switch the DD off (perhaps at the petrol station) or switch to another source (radio for example) for a moment you'll have to do that again to get in back in shuffle mode.

Cheers

Stuart

:} - while standing on one leg eating a pasty...

Will give it a go!

Tinyflier
22nd August 2011, 19:17
Well, tried with my (reasonably recent - 3/4yr old?) Nano and still no power and no shuffle,

I guess either I need to buy a newer iPod or download music to an SD card and see if that works.

Thanks Stuart for your valiant attempts to help me out.

David

Radioguy
25th August 2011, 13:02
David

Please update me here

your IPOD is Not working or Not charging or both ?

Sean

Tinyflier
25th August 2011, 19:47
David

Please update me here

your IPOD is Not working or Not charging or both ?

Sean

Sean,

1) The iPod works but won't charge.

2) i can't get the "shuffle" feature to work.

3) When I turn the DD off, the iPod seems not to know it should be off and discharges totally.

Have used both my iPods and is same on each one.

David

VVC-Geeza
18th September 2011, 18:49
Is is safe to say then that from this thread not all iPods are compatable with the DD?

Can anyone recommend one that definitely is?

Vic Small
18th September 2011, 22:09
Is is safe to say then that from this thread not all iPods are compatable with the DD?

Can anyone recommend one that definitely is?

The IPOD Nano 3rd Generation and 4th Generation work fine with my DD, all features work as expected and no crashes etc.

Useful page here if you want to identify different IPODs http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353

VVC-Geeza
18th September 2011, 22:56
The IPOD Nano 3rd Generation and 4th Generation work fine with my DD, all features work as expected and no crashes etc.

Useful page here if you want to identify different IPODs http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353

Thank you much appreciated :)

Tinyflier
19th September 2011, 20:12
Nano 3rd Gen does NOT work on mine - but I've given up trying now as there has been no response/solution to my emails to Sean on why/what can be done.

David

VVC-Geeza
19th September 2011, 22:19
Nano 3rd Gen does NOT work on mine - but I've given up trying now as there has been no response/solution to my emails to Sean on why/what can be done.

David

I wonder if yours and Vic's DD's are of different generations?

I believe there are software changes on the later models.

Vic Small
20th September 2011, 09:13
Mine is reasonably new, June this year, not sure what the actual revision is but guess there is a screen somewhere that shows it so will have a peek around later.

VVC-Geeza
20th September 2011, 15:32
Mine is reasonably new, June this year, not sure what the actual revision is but guess there is a screen somewhere that shows it so will have a peek around later.

Mine is April this year so should share the same software and be compatable with 3rd/4th gen Apple if yours is.

Becs512
23rd September 2011, 10:03
I love the DD unit but, I have given up trying to use my iPod.
Every time I have tried..it works OK until I turn it off and then I lose everything and have to reset the iPod.
Any ideas would really help..

Tinyflier
23rd September 2011, 10:18
[QUOTE=Becs512;811492]I love the DD unit but, I have given up trying to use my iPod.
QUOTE]

As did I - I have been using a Bluetooth device to stream music - need to investigate using an SD card instead - but it is intensely irritating that the iPod support/functionality is so patchy/non existent.

David

VVC-Geeza
23rd September 2011, 16:10
I'll be buying one of the 3rd/4th generation Apple ones in the near future so i'll report back on how it's functioning with the DD ;)

XXX
28th September 2011, 18:18
My 4 year old 80GB classic wont charge and the interface is very clunky.
Reading around a few ipod forums I tend to blame apple!

We could do with compiling a list of ipods that do work.

Tinyflier
28th September 2011, 22:09
My 4 year old 80GB classic wont charge and the interface is very clunky

Same here, gave up trying! also gave up with my Nano.

David