PDA

View Full Version : GPS dropping out

Simondi
25th August 2011, 20:51
I seem to keep loosing my GPS signal which is a tad frustrating. This can happen at any time, on start up or part way through a journey. I've checked for loose connections and reset but no success.
Any ideas?

MARKUK
25th August 2011, 21:22
Have you tried placing in different areas ?...

Mines on my dash and have never had an issue..

Also check that your wires are not being nipped if you have tucked them in somewhere..

Simondi
25th August 2011, 21:25
Have you tried placing in different areas ?...

Mines on my dash and have never had an issue..

Also check that your wires are not being nipped if you have tucked them in somewhere..

The receiver is mounted on the metal bar behind the dashboard but I'll check the wires, that mat be a possibility. Cheers

Radioguy
25th August 2011, 21:29
Hi Simon , It usually points to an antenna issue.
Where is your antenna placed?

Sean

Radioguy
25th August 2011, 21:30
Let us know, I can send a replacement to you if its Kaput or damaged

Simondi
26th August 2011, 07:23
The antenna is located on the metal bar behind the dashboard. I'll check it out again at the weekend in case of trapped wires, also may leave it unconnected for a couple of hours.
Will keep you all posted, thanks for your offer Sean.

ceedy
26th August 2011, 09:29
Although with my different Erising unit , I found that The GPS signal when behind the dash is a bit on the low side.

Mine is now up under the Roof lining by the mirror and the long cable run down behind the pillar cover round under the door seal and across the dash
( only take a few minute to do) and the signal never drops out and the initial sat pickup much faster, usually before the SATnav software has loaded ?.

C

.:getmecoat:

HarryM1BYT
26th August 2011, 09:49
Mine is now up under the Roof lining by the mirror and the long cable run down behind the pillar cover round under the door seal and across the dash
( only take a few minute to do) and the signal never drops out and the initial sat pickup much faster, usually before the SATnav software has loaded ?.

I'm quite surprised it works at all there. The best location is always where it gets a good view of the sky, with least amount of metal between it and the sky. Best is outside on the roof, second best is through a window with no metal content.

In most satnavs there is a GPS diagnostic page where you can get a display of which sats it is receiving and their signal strengths. You can use that as a aid to where is best to locate the antenna.

ceedy
26th August 2011, 18:09
I'm quite surprised it works at all there. The best location is always where it gets a good view of the sky, with least amount of metal between it and the sky. Best is outside on the roof, second best is through a window with no metal content.

In most satnavs there is a GPS diagnostic page where you can get a display of which sats it is receiving and their signal strengths. You can use that as a aid to where is best to locate the antenna.

--------------------------

Can't quite grasp why you made this comment ?
Doesn't remotely make any logical sense ;).. as its been the suggested norm for the Gps mouse to be stuck under the back of the dash, on the metal bar ? for most users .:shrug:

Probably why theres a magnet built in ;);)..

And with mine inside the edge of the roof lining it does get a good view of the sky through the glass as its sitting under the wide Black windscreen surround at the top of the screen ? :shrug: 2.

My Unit shows at least 50 % more signal strength than under the dash ?..

my. 5 cents... ;)

:getmecoat:

Chris

HarryM1BYT
26th August 2011, 20:18
QUOTE=ceedy;791000

Can't quite grasp why you made this comment ?
Doesn't remotely make any logical sense ;).. as its been the suggested norm for the Gps mouse to be stuck under the back of the dash, on the metal bar ? for most users .:shrug:

Probably why theres a magnet built in ;);)..

The antenna is a standard after market part, the magnet is intended to allow it to be roof mounted. As said - roof mount is best, under dash is worse - but it would seem to work well enough there. Mine manages a fix under trees, amongst tall buildings and even parked in the garage, with it mounted there.

And with mine inside the edge of the roof lining it does get a good view of the sky through the glass as its sitting under the wide Black windscreen surround at the top of the screen ? :shrug: 2.

If it works, it works - sorry, I read it has it being hidden under the roof, but then you do say you have a reception problem(?).

My Unit shows at least 50 % more signal strength than under the dash ?..

From all of the visible sats, or just a few in one portion of the sky?

It needs a good signal from as many widely separated sats as possible and preferabley those close to the horizon. The antenna really needs to be horizontal to pick up as many sats as possible. It is intended to receive the sats edge on, tilt it and general reception degrades. The more sats received and the more widely spread out, the more accurate the fix.

With my portable Garmin in my other vehicle, I use an antenna stuffed in the visor set at 45 degrees, with the satnav down by the gear stick where I can thow a bit of rag over it to hide it. It often looses its fix, sometimes takes a while to get an initial fix - its all a compromise so I can quickly hide the fact that there is a sat nav in the vehicle.

Could you perhaps test out moving the antenna to another location?

ceedy
26th August 2011, 22:48

At it tis .. it works everywhere I go ?

But then it did when under the dash , just took a little longer to get a fix at startup.

If it works, it works - sorry, I read it has it being hidden under the roof, but then you do say you have a reception problem(?).

Never a real problem just as above !

From all of the visible sats, or just a few in one portion of the sky?

I get more sats ( 50%or so ) shown when in the roof area compared to under the dash

Never had any probs with accuracy a few yards is good enuff init!! :D

The software proggy used ? I expect too has some bearing ( eek almost a pun) on it? .

Could you perhaps test out moving the antenna to another location?

Errm probably ;) not I only just put all the fascia and that back in after months with a hole !! :D

C

:getmecoat:

Simondi
27th August 2011, 21:42
Well, I messed about with the wires and it has worked superbly today:D
Best not speak too soon though!!

MARKUK
27th August 2011, 22:35
Goodie ! :D :D :D