PDA

View Full Version : Wanted-----Under Bonnet Multi Pin Plug

Greeners
30th August 2007, 15:15
I can't get an additional pin for this plug from anywhere. Part of the problem is I don't know the size, so I'm reluctant to stick anything in just in case it gets stuck and I can't get it out.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/109446d6dde38d896.jpg

First choice would be someone who happens to know the pin size, or failing that if you've got the plug left on the end of the main loom which you no longer require.

I've been through every connector on the loom that I bought, and it would appear that it is only used on this connector.

JohnDotCom
30th August 2007, 15:22
Now that I'm afraid I can't help you with David.
Any chance a Breakers might have one? (complete Loom most probally).
What is the Plug actually for?
Someone is sure to want to know.....Even Me.:D

Greeners
30th August 2007, 15:30
Now that I'm afraid I can't help you with David.
Any chance a Breakers might have one? (complete Loom most probally).
What is the Plug actually for?
Someone is sure to want to know.....Even Me.:D

There are 2 of the adjacent to the battery. They are basically where the engine loom meets the main harness, so if you pull the engine out, you undo these 2 twist plugs and you've disconected most of the wiring loom.

The empty hole in my one, is where the ECU take off goes for the dreaded "cruise control"...................I will get it to work one day....

JohnDotCom
30th August 2007, 15:48
I have had a look at mine now I know where to look and it has no spare holes, Pins in all, I do have Cruise/Traction etc though.
but could not see it listed as available seperate to harness on EPC I'm afraid.

Greeners
30th August 2007, 15:51
I have had a look at mine now I know where to look and it has no spare holes, Pins in all, I do have Cruise/Traction etc though.
but could not see it listed as available seperate to harness on EPC I'm afraid.

..........I'll check my wiring diagram, but don't forget mines a 2.5 V6 rather then a diesel...

JohnDotCom
30th August 2007, 16:27
I will have a further look for you a bit later David.
trust me to check the diesel, force of habit. :D

Mike
30th August 2007, 17:30
That looks suspiciously like a BMW plug/socket combination to me. My E30 has similar type fittings in the bay, though I can't give you sizes etc. might be worth popping into a BMW dealer and asking...................

hth

baxlin
30th August 2007, 18:58
I have a reputation for being a bit of a DIYer (read bodger if you like) but why, if the wire's in the loom, can't you pull the wire out from each side of the connector, and use a single connector?

Malcolm

Departed
28th September 2007, 13:54
did you everget the pin?

I've been hunting for a while and think I might have the right one for you.

PM me if you want to give it a try, I'll stick it in the post.

Greeners
28th September 2007, 15:18
Haven't managed to get one yet.

If you could pop it in the post, that would be great ...thanks

I'll PM you my address

Cheers

Departed
30th September 2007, 16:41
Will send a couple when I can get the right seals.

You will need to open the anti-backout tab, before putting in the pin. It's the red bit you can see in your photo. You move it towards the outside of the connector. And make sure you put the pin in the right hole. You need a VERY special tool to get them out again. I always wondered what it was for! Photos will follow.

Departed
1st October 2007, 18:50
OK, pins are on their way (at least when I get to the postbox).

I backed one of the pins out, to check that the ones I had are the same, and they are:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/lowedb/IMG_2305.jpg

You can see how the seal is fitted. It depends on what size wire you are using on whether you use a yellow or blue seal.

Sorry if I'm teaching egg sucking, but a couple of tips:

Slide the seal over the wire and insulation before stripping. Strip just enough to go in the first crimp. Slide the seal down so the neck is just sat on the end of the insulation. The seal and insulation are crimped in the second part. Don't overdo the crimp on the seal as it will distort and leak. Again the phot shows how it's done.

Good luck

Greeners
24th October 2007, 09:04
OK, pins are on their way (at least when I get to the postbox).

Good luck

Thanks...they have arrived no thanks to the Post Office.......apart from the strike, they then held them to ransom as they claimed it was bigger then a letter and was classed as a large letter...........'ve measeured and weighed it and I think they are taking the micky. But I've got them which is all that matters, so thanks again.