PDA

View Full Version : Wet central heating vs blown air type

uk_dave&gill
30th August 2011, 15:42
Anyone got any experience of the new type of heating, which apparently works like a domestic radiator system

Still mulling over what's best if we decide to go ahead and buy a van, but not sure if we need to be swayed towards the "wet" type or not :shrug:

A salesman we spoke to over the weekend said "once you've tried it, you'll never want to go back to blown air", but this could, of course, have simply been sales patter!

David Lawrence
30th August 2011, 17:40
Anyone got any experience of the new type of heating, which apparently works like a domestic radiator system

Still mulling over what's best if we decide to go ahead and buy a van, but not sure if we need to be swayed towards the "wet" type or not :shrug:

A salesman we spoke to over the weekend said "once you've tried it, you'll never want to go back to blown air", but this could, of course, have simply been sales patter!

If I understand it right, you are speaking about electric heating. The difference being that you can use off peak electric to heat up a thermal store somewhere, and then deliver heat to radiators similar to a gas boiler does. I have no experience of this, but the concept seems much better than the old brick filled storage heaters which you can't turn off once they've heated up. I presume that the heat store is very well lagged somewhere, so if you get a hot day, you can turn off the system in the rooms that dont then need heating. It must be better, but presumably at the cost of all the extra gubbins and pipework etc.

stocktake
30th August 2011, 17:53
Personally i wouldn't have blown heating in a caravan. It only takes a crack in a heat exchanger or a failed seal and it's not warm air your blowing around the van, it's products of combustion. Not for me I'm afraid. Have to say just my personal choice.

uk_dave&gill
30th August 2011, 18:06
If I understand it right, you are speaking about electric heating. The difference being that you can use off peak electric to heat up a thermal store somewhere, and then deliver heat to radiators similar to a gas boiler does. I have no experience of this, but the concept seems much better than the old brick filled storage heaters which you can't turn off once they've heated up. I presume that the heat store is very well lagged somewhere, so if you get a hot day, you can turn off the system in the rooms that dont then need heating. It must be better, but presumably at the cost of all the extra gubbins and pipework etc.

Sorry, should have made it clearer - this is for heating caravans not houses!

HarryM1BYT
30th August 2011, 21:08
I've read of several complaints with regard to the blown air type loosing heat from the ducts via conduction, when the duct is long. Some manufacturers partially run the uninsulated duct under the caravan floor in the cold air.

I've not come across any wet types, but I would expect them to be rather heavy for tourer use.

uk_dave&gill
30th August 2011, 22:00
I've read of several complaints with regard to the blown air type loosing heat from the ducts via conduction, when the duct is long. Some manufacturers partially run the uninsulated duct under the caravan floor in the cold air.

I've not come across any wet types, but I would expect them to be rather heavy for tourer use.

Apparently they are only 7kg heavier, according to Alde, the folks that make them - but then maybe they would say that!

revor64
30th August 2011, 22:10
We had a Solifer, many, many years ago.
I remember it was nice heating. Heater in the front, outside the caravan. (dissel)

Could be on, while driving !
So always a nice warm home behind your car.

We had problems with the pump, and that was NO fun, when camping in winter in two meter snow :)

Apart from that, it was great.

uk_dave&gill
30th August 2011, 22:18
We had problems with the pump, and that was NO fun, when camping in winter in two meter snow :)

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger....? ;)