PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 1.8 Club, Exhaust vibration

Jeffmuldoon
21st November 2006, 12:30
Hello, i'm a new member and hope that someone may be able to help.
I have just purchased my dream-car. 1.8 Club E manual on an o3 plate
petrol driven. It has less than 30,000 on the clock and is immaculate both inside and out. Always intending to buy myself a prestige car on my retirement, now i have one. Unfortunately there's a nagging vibration sound/feel in first and second. Garage inspection up on ramp are baffled.
Has anyone come across this and if so please help.

yp53
21st November 2006, 12:38
My last tourer suffered from one of the roof cross braces resonating against the roof skin - this sounded very much like an exhaust vibration until I finally traced it. I don't know if there is a reason that the saloon could not be afflicted (I'm assuming it has a cross brace between the b-pillars). Get somebody to sit in the back and push up in various places against the headlining and see if the noise goes away. Hope it works - things like this are really annoying and can spoil an otherwise perfect ride:(

Mike
21st November 2006, 12:42
Another item to check is the flexi-joint coupling between the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe. These do go and can make a racket in low gears

Mike

Jeffmuldoon
21st November 2006, 12:52
Many thanks for the suggestions to the above, i'll certainly have them checked out.
Jeff

Kandyman
21st November 2006, 13:51
Hi Jeff,

I see you found your way here ;)

told you someone would help

GreyGhost
21st November 2006, 14:43
Could be an engine mounting, there was a recent post about this where the garage slacked off the engine mounts a then torqued them back up correctly.This resolved a similar vibration problem.

Lovel
21st November 2006, 20:10
Hello, i'm a new member and hope that someone may be able to help.
I have just purchased my dream-car. 1.8 Club E manual on an o3 plate
petrol driven. It has less than 30,000 on the clock and is immaculate both inside and out. Always intending to buy myself a prestige car on my retirement, now i have one. Unfortunately there's a nagging vibration sound/feel in first and second. Garage inspection up on ramp are baffled.
Has anyone come across this and if so please help.

A high pitched zinging noise from underneath at different revs. I've seen the heatshield/s attached to the exhaust around the cat fracture at the tack welds. Trade tip, if no MIG welder available was to fit a long jubilee clip or two to the heatshield of the cat to restrain movement.

jaffo
25th November 2006, 20:07
i found the same thing in my just to be replaced mg ztt 135 tourer.if i pressed my hand up on the ceiling between the front seats it stopped the vibration completly.it happened in every gear between 2700 and 3000 revs and drove me mental.
in the end i was coming up for a change and have bought a rover 75 contemporary 2.5 se tourer to replace it.hope that this will be quieter..seemed to be on the test drive this week.:)

hamster19
24th January 2015, 12:26
My last tourer suffered from one of the roof cross braces resonating against the roof skin - this sounded very much like an exhaust vibration until I finally traced it. I don't know if there is a reason that the saloon could not be afflicted (I'm assuming it has a cross brace between the b-pillars). Get somebody to sit in the back and push up in various places against the headlining and see if the noise goes away. Hope it works - things like this are really annoying and can spoil an otherwise perfect ride:(
Am pleased as punch, my mechanic put two lengths of cardboard between the crossmember and the roof above the drivers head, annoying vibration has disappeared - result !

roverbarmy
24th January 2015, 12:30
Also check that the accelerator cable hasn't come off its support clip by the inlet manifold. If it touches the engine ( as they do when unsupported), the vibration sound can travel back into the cabin up the cable to the body.

Oops: Just spotted the date and the cure!

Mike

suzublu
24th January 2015, 12:30
That is some thread revival :eek::D