PDA

View Full Version : 260 Knock from os strut area

ssizefive
24th September 2011, 17:00
My brother has a 53 plate 260 ZT that knocks / creakes from the osf area. When you go round a roundabout & the load is reduced on the osf wheel it knocks quite badly & if you go round a left hand corner where there is more load on the osf corner you can hear it knocking but nowhere near as much. When the car is parked if you turn the steering from lock to lock & put your hand on the osf strut top it feels 'notchy' but if you do the same on the ns strut top you cant feel anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Steve

Canonite
24th September 2011, 17:14
It's knackered mate. I'll take it off him for £300? .....no?....oh ok

Seriously though, sounds like lower arm bushes or the droplinks.

Does it knock or clunk when at full lock? Also what is it like at speed, say cruising on the motorway? Is it only noticable at slow speeds?

VMax1000
24th September 2011, 17:58
Also check the top strut bearing, mine went having similar symptons

Bushes and droplinks don't seem to go too often on a 260
(probably less load due to being RWD)

Ragman
24th September 2011, 18:36
would be worth him joining the two-sixties and asking the collective

Would agree top mounts likely culprit

ssizefive
24th September 2011, 18:41
It's knackered mate. I'll take it off him for £300? .....no?....oh ok

Seriously though, sounds like lower arm bushes or the droplinks.

Does it knock or clunk when at full lock? Also what is it like at speed, say cruising on the motorway? Is it only noticable at slow speeds?

Well i can ask him but i dont think i'll be able to post his reply on here though!!:D

I dont think it is the droplinks - mine are shot on the 75 ( being replaced Monday ) but it is a different sound to that.

Thanks
Steve

ssizefive
24th September 2011, 18:43
Also check the top strut bearing, mine went having similar symptons

Bushes and droplinks don't seem to go too often on a 260
(probably less load due to being RWD)

Thanks for the reply, apologies if this sounds stupid but how do i check the bearing

Thanks
Steve

ssizefive
24th September 2011, 18:46
would be worth him joining the two-sixties and asking the collective

Would agree top mounts likely culprit

I agree but, as much as he likes his car, it is just his transport to work & back - i have tried getting him to join the club & maybe attend some meets but its not happened yet.

Steve

VMax1000
24th September 2011, 19:00
I agree but, as much as he likes his car, it is just his transport to work & back - i have tried getting him to join the club & maybe attend some meets but its not happened yet.

Steve

My car is daily drive as well and I joined..............
It's worth it just for the amount of knowledge there.

As far as the top bearings...............to test, put your finger on the top top strut, lift the front (just pull the wheel arch) to unload the suspension and then drop again. If there is play you should feel it.

PS. Maybe he is willing to give the last 3 numbers of the VIN and some details. At least the 260 database can be kept up to date.

ssizefive
24th September 2011, 19:11

As far as the top bearings...............to test, put your finger on the top top strut, lift the front (just pull the wheel arch) to unload the suspension and then drop again. If there is play you should feel it.

PS. Maybe he is willing to give the last 3 numbers of the VIN and some details. At least the 260 database can be kept up to date.

Thanks, will give that a go. I will get the vin, the car is a X power grey Zt 260Se, it has highline, xenons, harmon kardon & full black leather. I think i have a picture or two on my phone so if i can work out how to get them off i will post them.

Thanks again.
Steve

ssizefive
25th September 2011, 20:27

As requested the vin is 129
Steve

ssizefive
26th September 2011, 18:50
Would it be item 5 off here http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID004207 that we need?

Thanks
Steve

Tim
3rd October 2011, 20:13
Yep, but have a punt on e-bay and I would do them both for peace of mind.

Tell your bother his car has a birthday on 20th November. :)

Would it be item 5 off here http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID004207 that we need?

Thanks
Steve

Greeners
3rd October 2011, 20:29

I thought it was 19th, along with 126, 127 & 128

Tim
3rd October 2011, 20:36
I've got 20th at 2:24pm :D 125 to 129.

How about this then - the car went from Longbridge to Sargeant & Collins Ltd in Bromley Kent.

Have I trumped you yet David ;)

I thought it was 19th, along with 126, 127 & 128

Greeners
3rd October 2011, 20:40
I've got 20th at 2:24pm :D 125 to 129.

How about this then - the car went from Longbridge to Sargeant & Collins Ltd in Bromley Kent.

Have I trumped you yet David ;)

If you have, then Andy G has the same errors...:D:D:D

ssizefive
3rd October 2011, 21:07
Yep, but have a punt on e-bay and I would do them both for peace of mind.

Thanks, we have now got some off ebay. I have just posted some pictures of the car in the gallery.

Thanks again
Steve.

Tim
3rd October 2011, 21:12
Good stuff. No need to get your bother to join the Two-sixties as we'll answer any questions you have here. :) That said the knowledge base is top knotch. ;)

If you have a look at the top two stickies on the V8 forum you will get an idea of what to look for on any possible issues.

Thanks, we have now got some off ebay. I have just posted some pictures of the car in the gallery.

Thanks again
Steve.