PDA

View Full Version : Is there any solution to poor DD unit radio reception?

mojster666
27th September 2011, 23:07
I have read all the articles on this forum that talk about poor radio reception on Radioguy DD unit. Whether there is any solution with the existing aerial?
Previously I had Simphony unit with dual aerial (diversity). Radio reception was much better than it is now with the Radioguy DD unit.
Is the only solution a completely new aerial installation? I hope note!

I ask all of you, who have the same problem, that you help me with your experience.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/19734e8255d193efc.jpg

baconbuttyman
28th September 2011, 07:09
There is no real solution for this
problem. I vside allsorts. From a booster to new aerial. Found with the booster the reception was a bit better. I think the problem with the reception. Is the main season I an trying the upgrade. Have you got one of the TMc boosterrs in. That helped on mind. Also have you tried testing your aerial cop to see he its getting the right power supply. That has caused issue for some

XXX
28th September 2011, 18:13
have you tried this?
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=727631

I also remover the window aerial connection and cleaned up the contacts.

Reception is now pretty good

petergw60
28th September 2011, 22:44
So far not had any luck in improving radio reception with the diversity amplifier. I am still waiting on a part that might help but this will be a long shot.
Am going to try the new android unit as this is supposed to have better reception.

HarryM1BYT
28th September 2011, 23:12
Everyone does seem to have problems with the diversity type and not having a diversity type I have not been able to experiment for a solution - I suspect the problem is that the diversity system lacking in feedback, is constantly switching between the antennas.

All I can suggest is to cut that plug off and fit a plug which suits the DD's antenna socket directly, without need for the adaptor in your photo. The adaptor caused most of my reception problems.

I would also not try to use the one antenna system to feed both the DD radio and the TMC system using a Y splitter, as that can degrade the signal. Use a separate antenna and a separate amp (Mark UK). The antenna for the TMC needn't be anything more than a bit of wire hidden above the roof lining when used with the amp.

spyder
29th September 2011, 07:05
Everyone does seem to have problems with the diversity type and not having a diversity type I have not been able to experiment for a solution - I suspect the problem is that the diversity system lacking in feedback, is constantly switching between the antennas.

All I can suggest is to cut that plug off and fit a plug which suits the DD's antenna socket directly, without need for the adaptor in your photo. The adaptor caused most of my reception problems.

Although not having the diversity or TMC, must agree with Harry, I got a normal ant. plug and spliced it into the car ant. co.axe. cable with desent TV connectors. My reception improved a lot.

mojster666
29th September 2011, 21:21
I tried the service menu and played with SMET FM settings. Without success.

Below is a picture of my aerial booster. The voltage at pin is approximately 12V. If I switch the amplifier to the second type (non diversity), would I get a better signal? However, it seems to me that both amplifiers do not have the same connectors for the antennas that come out of glass?

What about completely new aerial installation? Has anyone tried this already? And to finally figure out where the problem is. The antenna unit or DD (with lousy reception).

Are you all other (non-diversity type) satisfied with radio reception?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/19734e84d3f7b77b7.jpg

HinckleyGraham
29th September 2011, 21:47
Hi, i have the non diversity system in my 2ltr petrol which is fine,but in my wifes 2ltr diesel coni with non diversity it can be poor in certain built up areas.I have a single xtrons in mine and my wife has a doudle din xtron in hers.Before i took out the radio in my wifes car the radio reception was very poor in all areas.I am still deciding the next move.Graham

HarryM1BYT
29th September 2011, 22:28
I tried the service menu and played with SMET FM settings. Without success.

Below is a picture of my aerial booster. The voltage at pin is approximately 12V. If I switch the amplifier to the second type (non diversity), would I get a better signal? However, it seems to me that both amplifiers do not have the same connectors for the antennas that come out of glass?

What about completely new aerial installation? Has anyone tried this already? And to finally figure out where the problem is. The antenna unit or DD (with lousy reception).

Are you all other (non-diversity type) satisfied with radio reception?

I don't think anyone has tried swapping a diversity type amp for a none diversity type, so you would be on your own there. If you can get the amp cheap, it is certainly worth experimenting.

Never having seen your type of system, I can't help with suggesting which of the four antenna connection to test with the none diversity amp, but what I would suggest is getting some of those short sets of cables with croc clips at each end. That would allow you to more quickly test the four antenna wire with the alternative amp, to see which ones work best.

For your further information....

The diversity amp relied upon a signal coming back from the radio, to tell the amp which antenna system worked best, with the radio station you were listening to at any particular instant. So it would test one antenna, test the other and could instantly swith to the best one. It might also have adjusted the gain of the amp too. That signal was fed up that small coax, from radio to amp.

Lacking that feedback, it is anyones guess as to how the diversity amp might behave - but obviously it doesn't work very well.

The Hi-line radio fitted to the later none diversity models, included that feedback connection, but had nothing plugged into it. It simply wasn't used.

To answer your question on my DD's reception with my none diversity antenna and amp - I would say it works pretty well, as stated in my sig line.

RKDE
30th September 2011, 06:16
I took one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoleads-Interior-Glass-Mount-Car-Radio-Aerial-RMA819-/270407442563?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3ef58a2083

Then I mounted it at the top of my windscreen, the box bit is under the roof lining, then the two bars that stick out run along the black part of the screen, the earth point is a screw fixing for the light and the leads are long enough to do both the power and aerial plug to the DD unit.

Works very well for me. and the best part is it just fits in place like it was meant to be hidden under the liner.

HarryM1BYT
2nd October 2011, 10:08
I took one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoleads-Interior-Glass-Mount-Car-Radio-Aerial-RMA819-/270407442563?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3ef58a2083

Then I mounted it at the top of my windscreen, the box bit is under the roof lining, then the two bars that stick out run along the black part of the screen, the earth point is a screw fixing for the light and the leads are long enough to do both the power and aerial plug to the DD unit.

Works very well for me. and the best part is it just fits in place like it was meant to be hidden under the liner.

The one point you omitted to mention was - how is the reception?

wnj516
2nd October 2011, 15:03
Hi All.
I have fitted the DD unit from Sean and am now having very good reception as good as with the previous radio, the unit powered up with no problems but when i connected the extra ariel lead (to get TMC) into the ariel amp it was next to useless, so after checking, all connections on both amps ( One being Marks amp) and voltages, i took it out, reception on the DD unit back to normal, so i was going to replace the ariel leads i received from Mark with a new 1 piece length of co-axe and plugs, but gave it one more try, only this time i pushed in the co-axe conductor into the lower connection from the window (the input which does not have the red trace colour) the plain white one.
I instantly had a very good reception and TMC and my car was in my garage, so am well pleased.
Has any one else come across this before as Mark's video does show the lower connection being used
Nigel

HarryM1BYT
2nd October 2011, 15:38
I instantly had a very good reception and TMC and my car was in my garage, so am well pleased.
Has any one else come across this before as Mark's video does show the lower connection being used
Nigel

Yes, I tried both and suffered some degradation, so I decided to provide a cmpletely separate long wire antenna, just for the TMC via Mark's amp.

RKDE
2nd October 2011, 18:43
The one point you omitted to mention was - how is the reception?

Sorry, I have made some further changes today and have it feeding only my TMC and I have another mod to do.

My radio isn't bad anyway unless I hook the tmc to it

MARKUK
3rd October 2011, 11:34
You may well need one of my TMC Mod KIts..

Have a look at the posts and videos and let me know if you would like one !