PDA

View Full Version : Alpine for Harmony...

loupus666
21st November 2006, 17:41
Just wanted to know if the sound quality on the Alpine head unit is much better than the Harmony & a straight swap?
Thanks
Mark

Mike
21st November 2006, 17:55
Yes, and even better if you fit the SLE mod :)

It is not a dead straight swap as you need to fit a different cable and connector (Harmony is BMW plug, Symphony is iso) but that is not too difficult a job.

SLE info is here http://www.r75-parts.de/en/sle/index.php

Required lead part number is VUL100330

Post again when you have the lead and Symphony and I can run you through the how to

Mike

Christopher
21st November 2006, 18:48
Mike, is this lead a standard BMW to ISO lead?

Mike
21st November 2006, 18:50
Mike, is this lead a standard BMW to ISO lead?

No Christopher, it isn't. The Symphony uses a mix of standard and mini iso connectors (6 iirc) which is why you need to get the accessory lead.

Mike

Christopher
21st November 2006, 18:54
No Christopher, it isn't. The Symphony uses a mix of standard and mini iso connectors (6 iirc) which is why you need to get the accessory lead.

Mike

Thanks - I basically need a lead which is BMW on one end and bare wires on the other to interface to a HU I have which will be part of the Car PC project ;)

Mike
21st November 2006, 19:01
Then the Symphony lead might be just the ticket as it carries more cables than the standard BMW to iso does. You can never have too many cables eh!

Mike :)

Christopher
21st November 2006, 19:02
Good point - thanks. Although, being an MG Rover is that likely to cost an arm and a leg??

Mike
21st November 2006, 19:11
Good point - thanks. Although, being an MG Rover is that likely to cost an arm and a leg??

iirc the lead is around £38 - it has plenty of length and the CD changer extension and plug.

loupus666
21st November 2006, 19:17
Thanks chaps ......now on the look out for a Symphony then & an SLE & a lead!!!!! wish me luck.
Mark.....didn`t mean Symphony meant Alpine + I also have an autochanger & presume that shouldn`t affect the swap?

GreyGhost
21st November 2006, 19:22
Thanks chaps ......now on the look out for a Symphont then & an SLE & a lead!!!!! wish me luck.
Mark

Best of luck :)

The Symphony units turn up regularly, you'll probably have to buy the lead from a dealer.