PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Auto Towing

mikey_32
5th October 2011, 13:43
As some of you may remember but a couple of years ago I had an 02plate Club se Diesel estate and I still say it's the best car I've ever had, since then I've been driving a Hyundai Santa Fe, a good car but nowhere near as refined as my Rover, anyway, a long story cut short, after just under 10k miles on a new clutch I have to replace the clutch yet again, (a common fault on this engine)
Anyway, I'm thinking of getting another 75/ZT-t but this time fancy an auto, I'll be asking the car to give everything that it's got as our caravan is 26" twin axle weighing in at 1600kgs, are the auto boxes good for towing this kind of weight when I only tow probably 1500/2000 miles per year?

Mike

man of kent
5th October 2011, 14:00
The previous owner to my 2002 diesel tourer auto did a p/ex as the car was not suitable for the caravan they towed. I would suggest the problem with any auto is hill starting ability with a caravan on the back. There is so much slip. There is no doubt the engine is fine, but the auto on steep hills?? Also, I would suggest more frequent autobox oil changes as the auto oil will get hot.

James.uk
5th October 2011, 14:03
there are websites for towing weights etc, but I do know the 75 diesel auto's are great for towing, just depends on the trailer size. If its too big you are better off with a big 4x4.. Far better to have too much power available innit.. :)

mikey_32
5th October 2011, 14:07
Yeah I do all my own servicing so box oil changes would be more frequent, or would I be better sticking with a manual, I know really the van is to heavy for the car but my budget will only allow around £5k so what else is there? It has to be good on fuel.

Mike

mikey_32
5th October 2011, 14:31
I sold my Rover for a 4x4 James, and I can't keep up with it's hunger for clutches, that's why I'm thinking of down sizing back to a 75

Andy K
5th October 2011, 17:02
autos on other makes are good for towing.

Snagger
5th October 2011, 17:41
Yeah I do all my own servicing so box oil changes would be more frequent, or would I be better sticking with a manual, I know really the van is to heavy for the car but my budget will only allow around £5k so what else is there? It has to be good on fuel.

Mike

How about one of these, plenty of grunt for the van, should do well on fuel long distance. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201126395169062/sort/priceasc/usedcars/transmission/manual/price-to/5000/fuel-type/diesel/body-type/saloon/model/s-type/make/jaguar/postcode/me145nx/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p Groover.

craig8661
5th October 2011, 17:50
hmmmm i did a 400 mile round trip the other day with my horse box and 1 horse some good steep hills to crawl up start stop traffic and it didnt give me one bit of jip my auto also pulled it with ease and when i hit 50mph it went into lockup no problem.

never got hot but i have the oil cooler on the passinger side

sln8458
5th October 2011, 19:23
My first real towcar was a Shogun 3.0ltr petol Auto LWB, only ever got caught out with a cross wind once - hit the go pedal & went from 60 - 70 quicker that both my fingers can type almost forgot the van on the back :)
You could look at/for a Shogun/PJ auto diesel lots of toys, brill driving position, not too good on fuel economy but will pull a hill up a caravan :)

my 2d's

SteveN

RPWC
5th October 2011, 21:58
As some of you may remember but a couple of years ago I had an 02plate Club se Diesel estate and I still say it's the best car I've ever had, since then I've been driving a Hyundai Santa Fe, a good car but nowhere near as refined as my Rover, anyway, a long story cut short, after just under 10k miles on a new clutch I have to replace the clutch yet again, (a common fault on this engine)
Anyway, I'm thinking of getting another 75/ZT-t but this time fancy an auto, I'll be asking the car to give everything that it's got as our caravan is 26" twin axle weighing in at 1600kgs, are the auto boxes good for towing this kind of weight when I only tow probably 1500/2000 miles per year?

MikeThe diesel engined car has a towing capacity of 1600kg,so if you're van weighs 1600kg empty,by the time you load up all your gear,you're going to be over the limit,it would'nt matter if you were going 10 miles,or 500 miles,you would be towing illegally with a 75.
You could always swap the hi and dry for a Freelander? same engine as the Rover/MG but higher towing capacity,or get a lighter caravan

Dragrad
5th October 2011, 22:08
Excellent piece of work here :D
(http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=756586&postco...)

RPWC
5th October 2011, 22:51
you could get a53/04 plate Freelander for about £5k,they have a towing capacity of 1800kg,and have the same engine as the 75 cdt.

Thomas
5th October 2011, 22:55
Duplicate threads merged.

sikelsh
6th October 2011, 16:30
My last but one car was a Ssangyon Kyron

It pulled the caravan like it wasnt there, it also made very little difference to MPG, used to get 35mpg towing or not towing, but bear in mind its a 12ft Corniche we have :)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201139418487294

We have also had a Freelander, and Suzuki Vitara, both were rubbish compared to the above for towing, and both gave worse MPG with or without the caravan.

Simon

mikey_32
6th October 2011, 18:07
Many thanks for all your replies, I should have made myself clearer I do appologise, 1600kgs is my vans laden weight, so just within the 75's range, I towed my van with my previous 75 and I had no issue at all, I was just never happy with the clutch after I'd had it changed, Freelander is a none starter, Fantastic engine, pity just about everything else lets them down, I'll keep looking.....

Mike

RPWC
6th October 2011, 19:27
Many thanks for all your replies, I should have made myself clearer I do appologise, 1600kgs is my vans laden weight, so just within the 75's range, I towed my van with my previous 75 and I had no issue at all, I was just never happy with the clutch after I'd had it changed, Freelander is a none starter, Fantastic engine, pity just about everything else lets them down, I'll keep looking.....

MikeIn that case then,a 75/zt cdti,will be what you want,get the later model cdt-i,they have the 131bhp upgrade,happy hunting:)

HarryM1BYT
6th October 2011, 20:52
In that case then,a 75/zt cdti,will be what you want,get the later model cdt-i,they have the 131bhp upgrade,happy hunting:)

Or the 135 with the Synergy = 150+.

I tow 1300Kg, which prior to my above spec., I towed with a 3L auto V6 petrol. The manual 75 tows as well as the 3L, except for its lack of grip due to FWD. I'm not quite as happy on the really steep hill starts, I hate slipping clutches to pull away, but on the move I absolutely happy with it.

Roj
7th October 2011, 08:48
Hi,
Just got back from the French Alps with my 2004 2.0CDTi Auto Tourer, covering 1500 miles with a 1300kg (laden) caravan on the back, and a further 450miles solo up in the mountains. The car behaved flawlessly.

It has been used as our towcar for 3 years now (over 7,000 miles covered in total with the same caravan on the back), and has never been a problem. The auto box does not "slip" on hill starts - it allows the outfit to move off gently without wheel spin or clutch burnout. On soft ground it does the same. Last year in Pas de Calais it had rained a lot and 2 4x4s got bogged trying to drag their vans out but the Rover just went on it's way.

It has Synergy, EGR bypass and MAD auxilliary springs on the rear suspension to help things along.

The maximum towable figure offered by manufacturers represents what the car can pull away with on a 1 in 8 gradient. I believe it is stated on the VIN plate, and as far as I know cannot legally be exceeded because it would offer the potential to exceed the maximum gross train weight (car loaded to maximum axle loading plus the maximum permitted trailer weight). To do that is certainly illegal, leaving the vehicle uninsured and a nightmare to drive.

Dradrad's splendid data on 85% towing weights, whilst offering guidelines (from the caravan club and caravan and camping club), are worth thinking about, as are actual (not notional) trailer noseweights. All the towing experience in the world is worth nothing when the laws of physics take over and the tail starts to try and wag the dog.

Our rig tows straight as a die, rock solid (so far), 1300kgs = 83% of kerbweight, noseweight 7% of 1300 = 93kgs - sorted

ashleywood.ash
9th October 2011, 20:20
auto should manage fine if you drive it right, keep it steady and dont over rev it etc.
problem with the santa fe is you got the wrong one. manuals are useless you need an auto, it is then a good towing 4x4. as for freelanders if you get a manula you will be changing your clutch on your way to the camp site, then again on the way back well known to be useless in manual for towing (see landy forum) I had a freelander td4 auto and it towed my 1550kg caravan no problem at all, and are well known good towers, just be careful with dodgy VCU and IRD's etc (all available on LRFORUMS)

I would suggest you would be fine with the 75 though my zt will be my back up tow car for my caravan, although manual, and I am sure will be fine.

other than that get yourself on the caravan club forum and other towing forums some really experienced folk on there (ps I can also recommend Jeep Grand Cherokee my auntie tows horses caravans etc with her 54 plate diesel and it tows a treat, they are cheap to but too).

cheers

mikey_32
11th October 2011, 07:40
Many thanks to all those who have offered advise, I've fallen for a manual Diesel Connie Tourer 05 plate, but SWMBO :bowdown: doesn't like it, any advise there?? LOL I'll keep looking as I really do fancy an auto, so I'll keep an eye out. What kind of economy solo do people get out of Freelander auto with the Synergy unit on?

ashleywood.ash
14th October 2011, 13:30
I was getting 26mpg mixed driving, 32mpg on a run and 24-25mpg towing on mine. but on the forums mpg ranged from 23 - 37 mpg apparently but i would expect high 20's to lows 30's to avoid dissappointment. lovely drive though and nice smooth box

RovingDennis
15th October 2011, 16:37
Mikey 32 says "I've fallen for a manual Diesel Connie" I say forget it, towing with an auto 75 cdti is a doddle and hill starts are a pleasure. I have been towing caravans for years and had more burnt clutches because of hill starts than you have fingers and toes. Because I never heed my own advice I have just sold my 75 manuel with a badly burned clutch after 2 weeks in yorkshire. Fuel consumption towing about 25, solo up to 50. I did once manage 35 towing but never managed a repeat. To sum up, for your caravan the 75cdti-T auto is the perfect car.

Dragrad
29th January 2012, 22:20
Mikey 32 says "I've fallen for a manual Diesel Connie" I say forget it, towing with an auto 75 cdti is a doddle and hill starts are a pleasure. I have been towing caravans for years and had more burnt clutches because of hill starts than you have fingers and toes. Because I never heed my own advice I have just sold my 75 manuel with a badly burned clutch after 2 weeks in yorkshire. Fuel consumption towing about 25, solo up to 50. I did once manage 35 towing but never managed a repeat. To sum up, for your caravan the 75cdti-T auto is the perfect car.

:iagree::wot: The auto CDT is a perfect towing vehicle.....Smooth and easy, and that was with a trailer with a load probably slightly exceeding the tow weight :o :D:D

staffyman
16th February 2012, 22:05
im gonna tow my caravan upto porthmadog n.wales i think ill use the navara (3.0td import) to get it there and leave in storage,then use dads mg ztt cdti just to pootle the 2-3 miles to main site wouldnt be fair on poor thing to load it up with stuff,kids,dogs etc + caravan also thinkin of getting one those snooper hgv satnavs to allow input of vehicle length width etc

James.uk
16th February 2012, 22:10
The big Citroen C5 Diesel auto is prob the best car for towing innit.. :}

paulmariner
9th July 2014, 17:42
Just travelled a round trip of 900 miles in France fully laden pulling a 1450kg van. Didn't hang about, averaged about 60mph, sometimes 68mph.
Very hilly area all motorway. Averaged 25mpg.

2004 Connie cdti auto tourer. At times you forget you're towing, they are truly great tow cars. I'd like a bit more mpg but overall I think it's quite good considering.

Should add I've had the 160 remap.

johnnyb44
9th July 2014, 17:55
Im going on holiday tomorrow. I have a 750 kg Eriba and it will be the first time towing it with the 160 remap. I think it will be alot different from the original 116

kc13661
9th July 2014, 18:14
Mine is a 1340kg van on the back of my Cdt Auto (160 remap) I wont say you don't know the van is there, as you do, but it pulls away effortlessly and can maintain a good speed, yes there are times when it drops a gear and you think c'mon was there any need? As far as MPG I never checked, to be honest I am one of these people that has the point of view, 'This is the car I have chosen, and this is how I have it set up.... I am solely responsible for my style of driving' so whatever it returns is fine. It's a case of if I wanted low mpg, cheap insurance and next to no road tax.... my 75 would be a Citreon C1.... 'As If'!!