PDA

View Full Version : WOW,what a difference!!

VVC-Geeza
9th October 2011, 18:09
Today was the first time I'd used my 75 since the digital switchover,so before I put the car away I decided to retune the DVBT box.After doing this I drove the car into the garage while still tuned to a TV channel,and to my amazement I still had a perfect picture in the garage :cool: This was never possible prior to the turning off the analogue signal,the screen went blanc.Keen to see what the other channels were like I hopped around them and found that I had a perfect picture on all of them (while still in the garage) :D

Now before, when I drove away with the TV on the picture broke up almost immediately,so I wondered if this had improved too.After bringing the car back out again I set off with with the TV on.The picture remained absolutely perfect while doing speeds of up to 50mph,as it did when I changed to ALL other channels.And yes I'm fully aware of the law and watching TV whilst driving ;)

As a further bonus I now find that ALL radio station have perfect reception too while on the move,whereas before they were affected by the same problems the TV channels.This is fantastic news for me as the two radio stations I listen to mainly,Talk Sport and 5 Live are now crystal clear.Previously I had to get them on the medium wave,and as most will agree MW is not the clearest on the DD.

I was told some months ago that when the analogue signal was turned off the digital signal would be boosted to full strentgh,Ill say it has :) Apparently this couldn't be done before as it would have interfered with the analogue signal.Anyhow for those who had poor TV reception in the past,go and retune,and see what happens.Happy days!

James.uk
9th October 2011, 18:30
Isn't the fact that people can watch TV whilst driving a real safety issue???

I Thought the TV's were disabled when the car was moving?

VVC-Geeza
9th October 2011, 18:53
Isn't the fact that people can watch TV whilst driving a real safety issue???

I Thought the TV's were disabled when the car was moving?

And yes I'm fully aware of the law and watching TV whilst driving ;)

I was using it to illustrate the strength of the new signal James...

I know for example that Mr Edd has never been able to get any picture whatsover under any conditions.

VVC-Geeza
11th October 2011, 19:58
So with 123 views, has anyone else noticed a marked improvement in signal strength since the digital switchover?:shrug:

Parker
11th October 2011, 20:32
Wales was one of the first switchovers 2 maybe 3 years ago now and living dead centre of the Cardiff and Swansea transmitters the signal is rubbish until I move into one of those areas which then means retuning. Must be honest I have freeview but never use it unless parked up waiting in the car and I will watch sky news.

woolleysox
11th October 2011, 21:12
The TV should be disabled by a switch in conjunction with the handbrake, I think most of us when fitting the dd don't bother with the switch. Common sense should stop folks from using the TV while driving. I have just re-tuned my dd and found the reception now greatly improved. We have only just closed the analog system down in Birmingham,However I have not tested either the TV or DVD while driving and don't intend to try.:getmecoat:

mark d3
11th October 2011, 21:43
The TV should be disabled by a switch in conjunction with the handbrake, I think most of us when fitting the dd don't bother with the switch. Common sense should stop folks from using the TV while driving. I have just re-tuned my dd and found the reception now greatly improved. We have only just closed the analog system down in Birmingham,However I have not tested either the TV or DVD while driving and don't intend to try.:getmecoat:

now this is why i wont fit tv in my car,imagine on a nano,liz would be in the car running the battery flat watching that big brother rubbish:D:D:D:D

HarryM1BYT
11th October 2011, 23:02
So with 123 views, has anyone else noticed a marked improvement in signal strength since the digital switchover?:shrug:

Ours was turned off last month. There does seem to have been a slight improvement.

Rather oddly, they turned it off, then an anouncement to retune came on screen - retuned, all was good, then BBC1 and another channel were lost on all the TV's, so had to be retuned a second time all round. Has been stable since then.

Ragman
11th October 2011, 23:07
We don't switch till sometime next year - if it improves the in car reception - I'll be really pleased as it's 'poor' now

VVC-Geeza
11th October 2011, 23:11
I'm travelling 110 miles from home on Sunday so I'm looking forward to seeing if I have to retune on arrival.Before the digital switchover I had to retune a mile down the road.

VVC-Geeza
11th October 2011, 23:14
We don't switch till sometime next year - if it improves the in car reception - I'll be really pleased as it's 'poor' now

If it's anything like the improvement I've experienced you will be amazed.The turning off of the analogue signal means that the digital one can be ramped up to full strength.

Ragman
11th October 2011, 23:18
I hope so - the hybrid BMW tuner was a 'frustrating' waste of money else

VVC-Geeza
11th October 2011, 23:29
I hope so - the hybrid BMW tuner was a 'frustrating' waste of money else

The digital signal is kept at low power so as not to interfere with the analogue signal.As I said in the OP,I can now receive all tuned in channels (TV and radio) both indoors and on the move.Something that was unthinkable before the switchover :)

Ragman
11th October 2011, 23:29
The digital signal is kept at low power so as not to interfere with the analogue signal.As I said in the OP,I can now receive all tuned in channels (TV and radio) both indoors and on the move.Something that was unthinkable before the switchover :)

Sounds promising

James.uk
12th October 2011, 14:23
It's bad enuff that some peeps use mobiles when driving, but knowing that they may even be watching TV instead of the road ahead is horrifying innit.!!! :confused: :( :(

Putting TV sets in the front of cars was pure lunacy....:mad::mad:.. innit...

wuzerk
16th October 2011, 16:59
It's bad enuff that some peeps use mobiles when driving, but knowing that they may even be watching TV instead of the road ahead is horrifying innit.!!! :confused: :( :(

Putting TV sets in the front of cars was pure lunacy....:mad::mad:.. innit...

I totally agree James but i can see no difference between that and allowing drivers to watch a sat nav screen. Should be spoken instruction only unless the car is stationary in my book.

HarryM1BYT
16th October 2011, 17:25
I totally agree James but i can see no difference between that and allowing drivers to watch a sat nav screen. Should be spoken instruction only unless the car is stationary in my book.

The difference is that with the satnav you only need a quick glance at the screen to grasp what you might need to do. Their value diminishes tremendously if they are restricted to voice only and would make their use more distracting. Imagine a passenger directing you using voice only, with no arm gestures to backup their spoken directions.

wuzerk
17th October 2011, 13:47
HARRY: A quick glance at a sat nav screen could mean that you have travelled five car lengths without looking where you are going. I have been using my sat nav for over three years without ever looking at the screen whilst moving.

VVC-Geeza
17th October 2011, 15:45
I can't remember hearing of or reading about a single case where an accident has been attributed to glancing at a a satnav screen or watching television while on the move.Probably because the vast majority of drivers are responsible and focus on what is happening outside the car.If these audio/visual devices were proven to be of sufficient distraction and the cause of accidents, the law would have been changed long before now.Now texting while driving which 30% of motorists admit to,that's a different matter.

Are we going to ban people from carrying mobile phones in cars,just in case they are not used handsfree? Or because the driver may attempt to text.And should we stop emergency vehicles using visual sat nav?

HarryM1BYT
17th October 2011, 16:29
QUOTE=VVC-Geeza

I can't remember hearing of or reading about a single case where an accident has been attributed to glancing at a a satnav screen or watching television while on the move.

I strongly suspect accidents will be fewer, where satnavs are used, because I find I can concentrate more on the road and less on trying to spot signs and map read.

Probably because the vast majority of drivers are responsible and focus on what is happening outside the car.

Most drivers are irresponsible - driving with one hand, whilst the other clamps a phone to the ear. I've had several near misses due to other drivers using a phone and not concentrating on their driving.

If these audio/visual devices were proven to be of sufficient distraction and the cause of accidents, the law would have been changed long before now.

I don't have the radio on that much, I like to concentrate on my driving - so TV on the move is an absolute no, no for me.

Now texting while driving which 30% of motorists admit to,that's a different matter.

I agree completely - if caught they should just take their licences away, as with holding a phone to the ear. The latter simply because it is so unecessary with hands free so cheap.

Are we going to ban people from carrying mobile phones in cars,just in case they are not used handsfree?

Yes, why not?

I'm constantly on the move, constantly on the phone whilst driving, but use hands free. I draw the line at an involved conversation whilst on the move, but will happily use it on the move for a quick exchange of information. If my hands free is not working, the phone will simply not be answered - I make no exceptions, because I don't feel comfortable driving with a phone in my hand.

VVC-Geeza
17th October 2011, 17:08
So,you agree with almost everything I said Harry,making you the responsible driver I always believed you to be.

As for most motorists being irresponsible and driving with phones clamped to their ears? I cannot agree with that,I certainly don't spot one every day.

wuzerk
17th October 2011, 19:52
If an accident occurs whilst a driver was using a hand held mobile phone it can be proved that the phone was in use at the time. If an accident occurs whilst the driver is looking at the sat nav screen it cannot be proved.

VVC-Geeza
17th October 2011, 21:13
If an accident occurs whilst a driver was using a hand held mobile phone it can be proved that the phone was in use at the time.

Yes they need a clip round the ear :)

yorkster
19th October 2011, 22:35
I'm travelling 110 miles from home on Sunday so I'm looking forward to seeing if I have to retune on arrival.Before the digital switchover I had to retune a mile down the road.

can you let me know where you can get a dvb tuner for my Mg?

Yorkster

VVC-Geeza
19th October 2011, 22:54
can you let me know where you can get a dvb tuner for my Mg?

Yorkster

Hi

contact Sean (Radioguy) on this forum.