PDA

View Full Version : Rear number plate

JP53
21st November 2006, 18:53
Of the two rear number plate shapes, rectangle or the shaped one that fills the space which do you think looks the best?

I prefer the shaped one.

Zeb
21st November 2006, 18:54
Of the two rear number plate shapes, rectangle or the shaped one that fills the space which do you think looks the best?

I prefer the shaped one.

Stop it John you are scaring me....:eek:

Tootall
21st November 2006, 18:55
Has to be the 'D' shaped rear plate.

Christopher
21st November 2006, 18:56
Without a doubt the 'Rover 75 Specific' shaped plates ;)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/34543eb3623a4d.jpg

Tricky160
21st November 2006, 18:56

I prefer the shaped one.

I have never seen a rectangular on on a 75 or zt

Zeb
21st November 2006, 18:57

OK OK I admit it, it's me! I have the 'normal' number plate...and ya know what? I DON'T CARE! HA!

JP53
21st November 2006, 18:57

They are out there and getting more common!

JP53
21st November 2006, 18:59
Stop it John you are scaring me....:eek:

Evening Zeb and :p:

Simon
21st November 2006, 18:59
The D-shape one, everytime. :driving:

I've seen the regular shaped ones on a few 75's and they just don't seem to fit in quite right. The D-shape one looks like it was meant to be there and, despite it being a large slab of yellow on the back of the car, it looks the part and finished off the car very nicely. :lol:

Zeb
21st November 2006, 19:00
Evening Zeb and :p:
This thread is the equivalent of the 'Who leaves feedback first?' on ebay Q&A help boards....:(

windrush
21st November 2006, 19:02
OK OK I admit it, it's me! I have the 'normal' number plate...and ya know what? I DON'T CARE! HA!

SHAME:cry:

JP53
21st November 2006, 19:02

Is that a rectangle normal number plate, a D shaped normal number plate or a number plate that does not talk to imaginary friends hence rendering itself abnormal? :laughing2:

Simon
21st November 2006, 19:06
Is that a rectangle normal number plate, a D shaped normal number plate or a number plate that does not talk to imaginary friends hence rendering itself abnormal? :laughing2:

Yes, of course. Because there a so many of those talking number plates around... :rofl:

JP53
21st November 2006, 19:10
Yes, of course. Because there a so many of those talking number plates around... :rofl:

I've often heard mine scream STOP when another car or a BIG lorry/bus as approached the rear of the car at high speed when I'm waiting at a junction. This is usually followed by a quick change of under ware ;) :D

JP53
21st November 2006, 19:12
The D-shape one, everytime. :driving:

I've seen the regular shaped ones on a few 75's and they just don't seem to fit in quite right. The D-shape one looks like it was meant to be there and, despite it being a large slab of yellow on the back of the car, it looks the part and finished off the car very nicely. :lol:

I agree it sets the rear off a treat, it's one of the distinguishing features of the car. :)

Zeb
21st November 2006, 19:14

You know the old saying: 'Be there, or be a rectangle'...or summat loike dat?

tourerfogey
21st November 2006, 19:21
I specified a normal rectangular plate rather than the D type affair when I bought my '03 Tourer - always thought the oversize 'D' shape plate was a little 'heavy' on the back of the car.

However a lot depends upon the colour of the car and how it matches/contrasts with the yellow.

Evening Zeb. Don't see you much on the eBay boards anymore.

JP53
21st November 2006, 19:24
You know the old saying: 'Be there, or be a rectangle'...or summat loike dat?

:rofl: I've heard some thing LIKE that!

Zeb
21st November 2006, 19:29
Evening Zeb. Don't see you much on the eBay boards anymore.

That is because I banned myself Basil.;)

tourerfogey
21st November 2006, 19:32
Oh Dear Zeb. Basil got banned too - but I still go there...................

M47Rman
21st November 2006, 19:33

I prefer the plate which fills the plynth, however I am ashamed to say that we have the smaller plate - although this WILL be rectified in the near future!
Andy:(

Zeb
21st November 2006, 19:33
Oh Dear Zeb. Basil got banned too - but I still go there...................

Lol, no, you misunderstand me. I banned myself by killing Zeb...

tourerfogey
21st November 2006, 19:35
Oh right - Basil got banned forever for 'impersonating a member of eBay staff'............

Zeb
21st November 2006, 19:38
Oh right - Basil got banned forever for 'impersonating a member of eBay staff'............
PMSL...but you ARE a member of staff!:D

NOCTURNAL
21st November 2006, 19:42
They are out there and getting more common!

I only picked mine up last week, so no time yet, and I was convinced b4 purchase I would have to have a 'D plate' but while definately on a 75 I'm now not so sure on a ZT :confused: It needs new fixings , but im really not 100% on the D plate now...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/IWANTBLUE/NOCTURNAL/nocturnal%20order/nocturnalrear.jpg

NIck

Simon
21st November 2006, 19:50
Nick - not only do you have a V8 (jealous, very jealous) But your rectangle plate does look okay on your car. I think with a darker colour (such as yours) the smaller plates do seem to fit in well.

Still pefer the D-shape one, but I don't think I'd complain at having a regular shaped one - epecially on a V8!! :drool4: :drool4: :drool4:

JP53
21st November 2006, 19:55
I only picked mine up last week, so no time yet, and I was convinced b4 purchase I would have to have a 'D plate' but while definately on a 75 I'm now not so sure on a ZT :confused: It needs new fixings , but im really not 100% on the D plate now...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/IWANTBLUE/NOCTURNAL/nocturnal%20order/nocturnalrear.jpg

NIck

VERY nice motor mate :drool4: The plate looks good see if you can borrow a D plate blue tack it on take a photo of each type and see which you prefer before you decide to buy.

JP53
21st November 2006, 19:57
VERY nice motor mate :drool4: The plate looks good see if you can borrow a D plate blue tack it on take a photo of each type and see which you prefer before you decide to buy.

Rear number plate very very very important on a V8, because thats what most people see........

Zeb
21st November 2006, 20:00
Rear number plate very very very important on a V8, because thats what most people see........

Alternatively: Move the current number plate down onto the bumper and fit one of those LED messaging systems into the 'smile' and programme it to say 'Bye bye'....

JP53
21st November 2006, 20:04
Alternatively: Move the current number plate down onto the bumper and fit one of those LED messaging systems into the 'smile' and programme it to say 'Bye bye'....

Or fit hinges and a switch to the ZT badge so it drops down and a big tongue shoots out!

Simon
21st November 2006, 20:07
Or fit hinges and a switch to the ZT badge so it drops down and a big tongue shoots out!

Now that would be just showing off :D :p:

JP53
21st November 2006, 20:11
Now that would be just showing off :D :p:

Trouble is you would have to slow down first so people could see it ;) :D

Simon
21st November 2006, 20:18
Trouble is you would have to slow down first so people could see it ;) :D

Not if you got a very very big inflatable tongue.

Perhaps you could use a similar compressed-gass deployment system such as thosed used in airbags to rapidly deploy the tongue at the press of a button. Then a further press of the button would use a vacuum to remove the air from the tongue before pulling it back inside the car.

:driving::bigsmile:

Zeb
21st November 2006, 20:21
Not if you got a very very big inflatable tongue.

Perhaps you could use a similar compressed-gass deployment system such as thosed used in airbags to rapidly deploy the tongue at the press of a button. Then a further press of the button would use a vacuum to remove the air from the tongue before pulling it back inside the car.

:driving::bigsmile:

And the weight of all that equipment would slow the car down to 'normal' saloon car speed..

Simon
21st November 2006, 20:24
And the weight of all that equipment would slow the car down to 'normal' saloon car speed..

I was thinking of using lightweight composites and titanium for the contruction. Plus, a woven kevlar tongue with a layer of pvc for air-tightness would make for a strong and durable tongue. ;)

Oh dear... what are we talking about?! :rofl:

JP53
21st November 2006, 20:26
I was thinking of using lightweight composites and titanium for the contruction. Plus, a woven kevlar tongue with a layer of pvc for air-tightness would make for a strong and durable tongue. ;)

Oh dear... what are we talking about?! :rofl:

Next step Robot wars :D

baxlin
21st November 2006, 21:34
Back to topic:rolleyes: I always thought the rear number plate on the 75/ZT was a tribute to the Rover 3.5 ltr (P5?), which had a large number plate, albeit a little more rectangular than the 75's D shape.

My vote is therefore to have the D shape plate

Keith
21st November 2006, 23:00
The V8 is the ultimate Q car so it has to be a proper D plate and I think one starting with V8 or X12 ... is a must:)

NOCTURNAL
22nd November 2006, 00:06
The V8 is the ultimate Q car so it has to be a proper D plate and I think one starting with V8 or X12 ... is a must:)

Dosen't the V8 plate kinda blow the Q-car status though:cool:

my initials arn't available but my boys are...maybe a 7 yrold would like his initials on my car rofl...

Nick:band:

JP53
22nd November 2006, 06:52
Back to topic:rolleyes: I always thought the rear number plate on the 75/ZT was a tribute to the Rover 3.5 ltr (P5?), which had a large number plate, albeit a little more rectangular than the 75's D shape.

My vote is therefore to have the D shape plate

Yes I remember reading about that at the time of the 75 launch.