PDA

View Full Version : run time error 5 message help please

martin1973
11th September 2007, 12:57
Hi

Ive a bit of software i had written a few years ago to alter web pages off line, the bloke who designed it was less than helpful and after service is a big fat zero.

Every now and again i get a run time error 5 message (normally if re-installing the software and dont put the files in C drive or the short cut in the correct place) and in past have managed to sort it with a patch, the software worked fine yesterday but no jopy and so far no fix.

Anyone know how to fix the error without having to pay for software etc?

cheers

r44712
11th September 2007, 13:10
Need more info!

If this is a bespoke piece of work, then tracking the error could be very difficult indeed!

What has changed since it did work? Different machine, upgraded Windows, etc.

Does it need any pre-requisites, like IIS to be installed and running?

martin1973
11th September 2007, 13:15
It worked fine yesterday the only thing i may have changed is the settings on the monitor ie better pixel quality and font size.

Think the effected file maybe .csv type file, but it was bespoke - have emailed the designer but its a few years back so dont hold up much hope.

Would something like regcure fix the error?

Volzhskyboy
11th September 2007, 13:25
System restore?

martin1973
11th September 2007, 13:30
whats the safest way to do a restore last time and the only time i tried i must have had a hidden virus and it killed the pc (run kaspersky anti-virus and spybot but didnt help last time round) - not clued up on xp, prefered 98 F disk all the way :D

Volzhskyboy
11th September 2007, 13:37
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

martin1973
11th September 2007, 13:40
cheers will have a read up

martin1973
11th September 2007, 13:50
tried going back to 9/9 for system restore but no joy it wouldnt allow it for some reason

martin1973
11th September 2007, 14:19
downloaded all the fles and folders from the server and re-installed, few bits of info missing but probably easier and quicker to update the web pages again. Not sure why it happens though so if anyonme knows why i would get a run time error 5 message please enlighten me

Volzhskyboy
11th September 2007, 14:39
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000380.htm

martin1973
11th September 2007, 14:53
cheers for that

martin1973
15th September 2007, 20:19
downloaded all files off server put onto PC got it working ok for a few days, then tried tonight and same run time error :mad: :confused: :rant: :banghead: :mood: :mood: :mood: so paid about £30 to register for annual subscription to registery mechanic which claims to fix run time errors etc - and no joy!! (30 day money back guarantee so will try and claim) cant understand why its playing up and got working fine and then goes pear shaped again - anyone have any ideas?? can always email files if they would make any sense (probably badly written programing to blame)

JohnDotCom
16th September 2007, 01:14
This Runtime error is often a Invalid Procedure problem.
It oftens affects Word, Visual Basic, Illegal operations etc. it can cover a lot of sins.
If you have an error code, put it into Microsoft's Knowledge Database.
Does any one program or action cause it?
If you have updated any drivers roll them back, and if not update them from makers website.

Just reread original thread and it could well be that a MS Update has caused your Program a Problem, more so if written in C++ or using Powerpoint.

martin1973
16th September 2007, 08:08
Hi John

Have tried the backed up files off usb pen and ex hard drive and no joy on PC, however they work on the laptop.:confused:

So what you say seems to make sense the problem is maybe with the op system?

When tried to do a system restore i only back dated a few days should I try again but take it back several months? Not used to all, more used to drastic measures like Win 98 F Disk :lol:

Looking at the microsoft database seems to be various reasons for run time error 5 depending on appication (assume mine is excel its a .csv file) tried the visual basic patch, no joy.

Tried system restore date back to 31/8 said cant restore to this date as no changes have been made to system (so how come software worked at this date and now doesnt) OUT OF DEPTH

JohnDotCom
16th September 2007, 08:52
As realised Runtime errors can be a real Pain.
The additional problem you have is not knowing enough about program you are using, and without a great time and most probably money might not be easy to cure.
By all means take back system restore further but if error is fairly new that may not cure fault.
It is strange that your Laptop has no problems,
I take it, there is no major differences (same OS etc) and both are fully updated the same?
Even a newer .dll file on another program can cause faults as it may overwrite the version you require, it shouldn't but it does.
No quick fix I'm afraid, even a registry entry can cause the problem.
Even a complete Format and reload may not cure till you know more.
You really need more info on how program works, what it is written in, as keep writing VB corrections or going through Database very difficult to sort on Forum in this instance.
..............Unless anyone knows otherwise to help Martin.
Have Fun!!

martin1973
16th September 2007, 08:58
Both run xp not sure if updates are like for like.

Im pretty sure its an error in the .csv file - i cut and pasted a paragraph of text into the software and appears ok when it updates the webpage, but in the .csv file it keeps repeating itself about 4 times. When i load up the program all the cottage pages before this particular page are fine, then it goes pearshaped and starts showing text where numbers should be etc etc - pretty sure the fault is within this page of code but cant fix it (but again strange it corrects itself on laptop)

Could email it as the above sounds as clear as mud - sorry :)

r44712
17th September 2007, 13:18
Not promising anything, but you have a PM with my email in it.