PDA

View Full Version : Front Mounted Parking Sensors, Beep Query.

JohnDotCom
12th September 2007, 12:18
I know some people have fitted these but cannot trace the Query I have.
Obviously fitting rear Reversing sensors is no problem and the audio signal only works when selecting reverse, So......
I wish to fit another set on the front of car.
Does anyone have any ideas on stopping them from Bleeping if linked via the gearbox etc?
Its an auto Box and I was thinking of making a Delay circuit or otherwise as i don't want them going off when I pull up close in Jams or at Traffic lights etc. of course.
Don't really just want them working from a manual switch if I can avoid it.
Has anyone any ideas please?

Mike
12th September 2007, 14:03
John,

iirc the ones I've read about have all used a manual switch install on the dash. I haven't heard of an auto version - do you know how factory fitted front sensors work?

CDTi
12th September 2007, 14:17
I wonder if it could be linked into the speed dependant locking,but working in the opposite way i.e. sensors active when the car is doing less than whatever the speed locking limit is?

This may still activate the sensors in slow traffic, though.

JohnDotCom
12th September 2007, 15:40
John,

iirc the ones I've read about have all used a manual switch install on the dash. I haven't heard of an auto version - do you know how factory fitted front sensors work?

No Mike, its just a couple of the new models out by Lexus and a Merc. say they have auto sensing front and rear Parking sensors so I was trying to find out more.
I only know how the rears work.
Looks like I might have to use a switch after all.

Greeners
12th September 2007, 15:42
John

There is a BMW kit that has a single PDC and 2 sets of sensors. Let me see what I can dig up.

JohnDotCom
12th September 2007, 15:45
Thanks David.

Greeners
12th September 2007, 15:54
John

Took me a bit longer to find then I thought. (ive spent the last two night shifts surfin!)

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/X5_pdc_retrofit.pdf

You may need to get hold of an X5 wiring diagram, but there's some good pointers.

JohnDotCom
12th September 2007, 17:55
That makes very interesting reading, and the PDC loom is available if I use that to adapt when I obtain full Diagram or may still make one.
When and if all completed will post a How To.
Thanks very much for sourcing that Info David.

Duotone
12th September 2007, 19:27
John.
The person who has succeeded in fitting the front sensors is member yp53.
He attended the Haynes meet And his front sensors looked a very professional fit.
Perhaps you could pm for more info.

Dave T

Greeners
12th September 2007, 20:03
John.
The person who has succeeded in fitting the front sensors is member yp53.
He attended the Haynes meet And his front sensors looked a very professional fit.
Perhaps you could pm for more info.

Dave T

He posted a how to on .org

post No 4 in this thread http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1035

Jontie
12th September 2007, 21:17
Hi John,
On the Merc CLK series the warnings are visual, i don't think there's any audio warning. There's a meter on the dash and one on the rear shelf that's viewed through the mirror and it shows Green-Amber-Red as you get closer. HTH.

JohnDotCom
12th September 2007, 23:26
Thanks everyone for all your replies and Help.
Just got to determine what system to use then during the Coming Dark nights will be in the Garage Working.

75ContempSE
13th September 2007, 17:28
My Dad had a brand new Lexus GS430 in March and that has front sensors, when I drove it the front sensors beep when you get near anything, but when you stop in normal traffic they do not, have no idea how they work, they also come up on the screen saying Lexus park assist, the rear sensors beep and appear on screen with a rear view camera also to help you park.

not sure how any of it works but is it very very clever.

JohnDotCom
13th September 2007, 23:03
I knew about the Lexus and Merc ones and now BMW, but I also do not know how they work.
I tried to purchase a Wiring Diagram for them but they either are not available or just won't sell them.
Thanks for your reply 75ContempSE.

Simon
13th September 2007, 23:07
At a guess John I'd say that OEM forward sensors on other makes are speed sensitive.

In order to make one work on our cars you'd have to tap into the speed signal in the K-BUS somehow... or directly from the ABS sensor on the wheel. Either way, the signal isn't going to be a simple analogue one so making a circuit to activate the sensors at the appropriate time is going to be tricky to say the least.

JohnDotCom
13th September 2007, 23:39
As you say lots of Probs ahead,
Still think I will end up using a switch system for ease, using the Genuine MGR Rear kit I have and Adapt or as per the BMW system above.

Greeners
14th September 2007, 03:51
John

I'll add this to my list to hunt down whilst I'm on nights.......

Looking at the picture for the BMW system, the PDC has a third connector which I would assume is for the additional front sensors, so as so much of the Rover system is BMW based, it would probably make it the easiest to retro fit. I suspect, however the X5 kit as shown will be prettu expensive new......

yp53
14th September 2007, 09:38
Hi All - Just caught up with all this having been on my travels again.

As mentioned I fitted a set of MGR parking sensors (designed for the saloon rear bumper) to YP53's front bumper about a year ago. (The pics have dissapeared from the original thread on the 'other side' but if anyone wants me to repost them, let me know.

The tricky question, as here, was how to switch them on. I eventually settled on using the front fog lights, even though you have to switch the main lights on first. I did this on the basis that I didn't want to add another switch anywhere else. Also its useful to have the fogs on when parking at night sometimes. I did toy with the idea of using the heated seat switch but it all got too difficult. Actually I just became impatient and couldn''t be bothered to waste any more time :)

One thing to bear in mind is that even when you get a continuous tone from the system, you are still 18"-24" away from something. When reversing this is fine, but when going forwards into a parking bay I sometimes want to get a lot closer and you end up reverting to the good old Mk1 eyeball and judgement.

One thought for Auto fitted cars - is there an individual lamp/led that illuminates the selected gear range alongside the shifter? If so, you could use one of the rarely used gear selection indicators to energise the sensors.

75ContempSE
14th September 2007, 16:43
anyone got any pics of front sensors on a 75, would be intresting to see where they are mounted.

JohnDotCom
14th September 2007, 17:15
I'm going to mount mine on the front http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif :getmecoat:

Greeners
14th September 2007, 19:01
John

Haven't managed to track down a wiring diagram yet, but I have found this

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=VB33&mospid=48523&btnr=66_0110&hg=66&fg=95

This would probably be a) expensive, but b) easier to install.

I'll keep looking....

JohnDotCom
14th September 2007, 20:42
Errrm, Its good and ideal, but it should be its £284.00!!!! :SHOCKED:

yp53
15th September 2007, 11:36
Some pics of the front sensors on YP53. Note that the outer sensors should really have been about 2" closer in - I had to splice in an extra length of wiring as the OEM loom wouldn't quite reach to where I had just drilled the holes :( Any further and the impact beam behind gets in the way. The sensor holders for the rear bumper fit nicely in the front one.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/sppurvis/IMG_00861.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/sppurvis/IMG_00851.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/sppurvis/IMG_00871.jpg

JohnDotCom
16th September 2007, 01:49
Thanks for that.
I have a MK2 so sensors would have to be closer anyway, as Indicators are upright facing.

FROGGY
20th September 2007, 21:20
After spending far too much on parking sensors (front/rear/both) on several different cars, I found this guy on you know where, unbelievably low prices, very fast delivery, Chinese probably but who cares? His six pack kit (2 front/4 rear) utilises the stop light feed to trigger the front units, in case this idea appeals.

http://search.ebay.fr/_W0QQsassZtraveller2009

Mick

baxlin
20th September 2007, 21:44
One thing to bear in mind is that even when you get a continuous tone from the system, you are still 18"-24" away from something. When reversing this is fine, but when going forwards into a parking bay I sometimes want to get a lot closer and you end up reverting to the good old Mk1 eyeball and judgement.

The main reason I want front sensors is to protect the N/S front corner of the car from my own office parking space wall jumping out (as it's done once already), as I have to exit it in reverse, and on almost full lock. Having full beep with more than a foot to spare would not be much use, as I can almost see/judge that distance.

So does anyone know of more (or should it be less) sensitive brand, which would allow me to get closer to the wall before constantly beeping? Or can the sensitivity be adjusted with some sort of rheostat/potentiometer?

Malcolm

Simon
20th September 2007, 22:11
I only know of the Taurus parking sensors to be more sensitive than the ultrasonic ones. The Taurus sensors use an electromagnetic field to detect movement, the only trouble is other moving components (ie fan blades) could give false readings....

JohnDotCom
20th September 2007, 22:56
The BMW system mentioned in earlier post can be set to 6" for constant tone.
BUT have you seen the price. :D

Greeners
21st September 2007, 07:30
The BMW system mentioned in earlier post can be set to 6" for constant tone.
BUT have you seen the price. :D

I've started researching the BMW system, and it would seem that most X5's had them as an option.

Just keep your eyes peeled for an X5 being broken.......

Greeners
22nd September 2007, 11:09
Further to my last post......

The retrofit front BMW system was also available on 5 series (probably 7 as well), and there is a loom 61120027997 which runs from the boot to the front. The web site I checked (currency coverted) works out to abot £60. The sensors appear to be the same as the MGR ones, so all you would need is the PDC with front and rear connections. It also appears to fit in the same loaction.

When I took my PDC to bits, there is a spare slot on the PCB, presumably for the front system.....

JohnDotCom
22nd September 2007, 13:01
Great news.
I will be chasing this up after meet this Weekend.
Wil keep you all informed.

Greeners
8th January 2008, 11:02
Bit of an old trhread but I've gleaned some new information relating to the BMW system

http://www.e38.org/part2driverinfo.pdf go to page 55.......

it would appear as well as an overide switch, the PDC uses the K-bus for road speed and gear selection. As this wasn't enabled on the MGR ECU, it probably wouldn't work.

It's a shame as I'd just located a proper front and back PDC.

Never mind.

JohnDotCom
8th January 2008, 11:57
Typical David.
I still have not Installed anything on front yet.

stocktake
8th January 2008, 12:06
Hi John,

Don't you have an auto? it may be worth finding out if the lights next to the gear shift are switched (the ones that show what gear you have selected). If they are you could take the feed from , say, 1st gear to activate your Front parking sensors. Then simply select 1st gear to park!

Failing that I am sure you could rig up a switch to operate via the gearshift to operate once 1st gear is detected.

What do you think? ;)

JohnDotCom
8th January 2008, 12:17
Yes Dave I have the Auto.
The Reason it Ground to a Halt has been purely a Time one and the Fact the Last Thing I can get in my Garage is a Car at the moment, As GG Noticed on a recent visit, I can't find most things as its stacked Floor to Ceiling!
Once the Warmer Weather and lighter Nights come this is a Must Do this Year for me.

stocktake
8th January 2008, 12:22
Yes Dave I have the Auto.
The Reason it Ground to a Halt has been purely a Time one and the Fact the Last Thing I can get in my Garage is a Car at the moment, As GG Noticed on a recent visit, I can't find most things as its stacked Floor to Ceiling!
Once the Warmer Weather and lighter Nights come this is a Must Do this Year for me.

Do you think the idea would work John? I can only see a load issue on the current reqd if it is there and switched already. Simply engage 1st gear to activate FPS.

If not fabricate a bracket to hold a switch?

miketata
8th January 2008, 19:58
my Holden Caprice limousine (government chauffeur) has these and they are speed dependant. Any travel below 15 kilometres an hour triggers the system, which includes an audible beep and a picture of the car on an lcd screen which flashes amber to red for each sensor depending on how close your are to hazard. There is also a master switch to turn the system off which we do often because it is basically a pain at the front. The rears are very useful but the front is annoying, especially when you can see the hazard anyway. Because low speed triggers it, it goes off in bumper to bumper traffic all day...or when a pedestrian walks in front of the car....so you tend to ignore it. I prefer the 75 with rears only because when it sounds...you know there is a genuine hazard. ..it doesn't cry wolf. Cheers.

Neil Coupland
9th January 2008, 13:03

Thanks JDC, it is reassuring to know that I am not the only one who needs to empty his garage:). Two cars and they both sit on the drive!

Back on topic we have front mounted sensors on the Zafira and an on off switch is essential. They would go off in heavy rain, motorway spray, snow, whilst sitting in queues of stationary traffic, and when being passed by motorbikes:confused:
On/off switch now fitted and peace has been restored :D