PDA

View Full Version : Halfrauds £300 per hour labour charges.

ardvark
15th October 2011, 15:07
Daughter rear brake bulb blew on her KA. Off she went to Halfrauds to get a new one. Chap who served her asked if she'd like it fitted. Yes please she answered. That will be another £9.99 please. Then I had a phone call. Daaaaaaaaaaaad! It took me litrally 2 minutes. Thats taking the bulb out of the packet and closing the hatchback after the new bulb was replaced. That works out that Halfrauds charges just under £300 per hour labour. No wonder they're going under.

windrush
15th October 2011, 15:23
I think that they have a fixed price for replacing auto bulbs

starbug2
15th October 2011, 15:49
i think they do.

vitesse-chris
15th October 2011, 15:49

Spot on,

My sister has a Megane and that was a pain in the rear end to change the headlight bulb, I tried all ways but would it hell move!

Took it to Halfords, one bloke tried and then couldn't do it, then a lass come out and done it with in a few mins! :getmecoat:

So I think for the "harder" bulbs, for £9.99 it's better than you having the struggle!

MangoMan
15th October 2011, 16:26
Yes, it's a case of win some, lose some..... Some bulbs can take up to 30 minutes to replace! Especially Renault and Toyota!

rizel23
15th October 2011, 16:46
how is this £300 an hour???!! Its a fixed price, if anything had gone wrong such as dropping of the bulb and smashing etc she would have been covered for a replacement, for the less technical aware its a pretty good service, bear in mind i think this is standard charge and some new modern cars are impossible for average joe to change bulb on.

MangoMan
15th October 2011, 17:00
It isn't a fixed price of £300 P/H. It's £9.99 per fitting, irrespective of time taken...... Capisce?

Jules
15th October 2011, 17:36
Daughter rear brake bulb blew on her KA. Off she went to Halfrauds to get a new one. Chap who served her asked if she'd like it fitted. Yes please she answered. That will be another £9.99 please. Then I had a phone call. Daaaaaaaaaaaad! It took me litrally 2 minutes. Thats taking the bulb out of the packet and closing the hatchback after the new bulb was replaced. That works out that Halfrauds charges just under £300 per hour labour. No wonder they're going under.

If you ran a Garage business with overheads etc what price would you charge I wonder? :o

Lates
15th October 2011, 17:40
£9.99 Imo is not unreasonable as a blanket cost. How many have had the clip fall off a 75/ZT headlamp bulb and needed to strip the front end off ?

As above some Renaults are a nightmare to replace and I would gladly give someone £9.99 to let them endure the pain.

andy willi
15th October 2011, 18:13
£9.99 Imo is not unreasonable as a blanket cost. How many have had the clip fall off a 75/ZT headlamp bulb and needed to strip the front end off ?

As above some Renaults are a nightmare to replace and I would gladly give someone £9.99 to let them endure the pain.

with you on this one

andy

Canonite
15th October 2011, 18:14
As others have said, it's not an hourly labour rate, it's a fee for a service they offer. I used to work for Halfords, the fitting service is a very lucrative part of their business. Lets face it, people who buy from Halfords aren't the most confident when it comes to things like changing bulbs, batteries and wipers.

It's not as if the service is compulsory, it's an option.

Talago
15th October 2011, 19:12
Our works pool car, a wee Renault Modus, had to get a headlight bulb replaced. Halfords couldn't do it. Main dealer charged £95. Yes £95 for one, because whole front bumber had to come off. I suggested that they got both done while it was in but they didn't bother. A few weeks later the other one went. Another £95. £190 for 2 bulbs.

MangoMan
15th October 2011, 19:12
I don't know why people always want to knock Halfords, I think they fill a gap in the market and although not the best, I bet a lot of people would be lost without them being there.......
The one area where they could really improve and that is customer service, but what do you expect when nearly all the staff are on minimum wage and using the job as a stop-gap... It's a shame because I think they could be really quite good given the right resourses and staff.

And I'm saying all this because I did work there a few years ago, and really enjoyed it and as far as I was concerned really engaging in my work and with the customers, and when I started I was promised that within 2 months I would be earning a very acceptable salary, which was a proviso of me going there, but 6 months later I was still taking home £700 pm. Yes, £700 per month! After more promises I eventually left after 9 months not because I didn't like the job, but because I couldn't afford to stay!

They just don't look after their staff, even management..... There is no loyalty, so what do you expect from the staff??

Departed 32016
15th October 2011, 19:22
Agreed I like them. Where else can you get a 16mm socket at 3pm on a Sunday? Some things are a bit pricey but only when you compare them to the Internet and then all shops are expensive i wish I could get a trade card...

Agree about the customer service and they never seem to employ enough staff but I never thought they were going under they just bought nationwide autocentre in the last 6 months?

MangoMan
15th October 2011, 19:38
Agreed I like them. Where else can you get a 16mm socket at 3pm on a Sunday? Some things are a bit pricey but only when you compare them to the Internet and then all shops are expensive i wish I could get a trade card...

Agree about the customer service and they never seem to employ enough staff but I never thought they were going under they just bought nationwide autocentre in the last 6 months?

That rumour has been around for about 7 years!

Departed 32016
15th October 2011, 19:40
That rumour has been around for about 7 years!

Share price had returned to 2008 from being arcs high when the nationwide takeover but looks good to me. I do however think jjb sports will be the next casualty... Thorntons seem to be sorting themselves out

Borg Warner
15th October 2011, 20:05

:wot::wot::wot:

Was changing the leaf springs on my B last year when I needed a small bottle jack. Halfords to the rescue.

Ucchockey
15th October 2011, 20:36
I work for halfords.
It's not 9.99 fixed price.
A headlight is 6.99 to fit and a rear bulb is only 3.99 to fit. There is no fit we do for 9.99.
At least 50% cheaper than dealer prices.
The biggest problem we have is restricted payroll hence no staff.

Departed 32016
15th October 2011, 20:41
I work for halfords.
A headlight is 6.99 to fit and a rear bulb is only 3.99 to fit. There is no fit we do for 9.99.

even better! the price i mean not the payroll restrictions... is that both?

MangoMan
15th October 2011, 20:42
I work for halfords.

Sorry, I stand corrected on price as I was going by the OP's Post. :o

RovingDennis
15th October 2011, 21:46
I have never had to take anything back but there professional range is guaranteed for life and my mate had a pro torque wrench which jammed so took it back, 2 mins later walked out with a brand new one. Can't be bad. I had my 75 mot'd there for £25 no probs and they fitted a new pair of wiper blades I bought while waiting no charge. Also had a new battery last winter and again fitted no charge. I can only commend them for the service I have recieved.

Commodore
15th October 2011, 22:24

I'm with Lates on this one. I did a rear indicator bulb replacement (using a Halfords bulb) for a mate at work who has a Nissan Quasqai. Not only did we have to remove the entire external light cluster in order to change the bulb (no interior boot access to the bulbs like on the 75), but due to the way the light cluster clips into the bodywork, it actually requires 2 people (or one person with 3 normal length arms and 1 very long arm, with 2 elbows on it), to unclip it.

Not had to try it yet, but I have a horrible feeling the rear lights on my Citroen C4 are going to be just as much of a *** to change. I've been informed that the front lights are just as difficult and tight to get at as they are on a V6 75/ZT.

We got there in the end, but next time, I told him to go to Halfords to get the bulb, and pay them the tenner to fit it. That or buy a less awkward car :)

ardvark
15th October 2011, 22:24
When Halfrauds first started this fitting service for the likes of bulbs it was free fitting. I suppose as was mentioned earlier, they don't give a toss. Make money any way you can. *** the workers and they will *** the customers. A garage down the village sold me a rear light bulb for my CDTi for £1, the chap said if you hang about for a bit I'll get one of the lads to fit it for you. That is how to get customers to talk positive about you.

Ragman
15th October 2011, 22:26
When Halfrauds first started this fitting service for the likes of bulbs it was free fitting. I suppose as was mentioned earlier, they don't give a toss. Make money any way you can. *** the workers and they will *** the customers. A garage down the village sold me a rear light bulb for my CDTi for £1, the chap said if you hang about for a bit I'll get one of the lads to fit it for you. That is how to get customers to talk positive about you.

True but that garage is independent and does not have to account for every hour of every member of staffs time to senior management

Commodore
15th October 2011, 22:35
I should add that I have previously paid Halfords to fit a new battery to my 75. IIRC the charge was £4.99 and a bargain in my opinion.

Also, 18 months later when said battery failed prematurely, Halfords swapped it out and fittedtrue replacement under warranty, no hassle whatsoever. Would happily use them again for supply and fit of a battery (especially with the 4yr warranties on offer on some of their better batteries).

Also had a brilliant customer experience earlier this year when I took back my Navman satnav on the grounds it was rubbish and that it left me staring at an unclearable warning message of an upcoming toll road for 90km while on on the A16 in France. Said warning covered the whole map.

Halfords were great, took back the satnav no fuss, refunded money in full and even gave me a £30 discount on the Garmin I decided to buy in its place.

It's not the cheapest, or the best, but I think Halfords sometimes gets more stick than it deserves. Overall, I find Halfords fit for purpose, and the company's financial results (which I have read) are in very good shape - not at risk of going bust at all. JJB Sports sadly is the most likely chain to fail next :(

MangoMan
15th October 2011, 22:41

So why didn't you send your daughter there then??? :shrug:

danmayberry
15th October 2011, 23:11
Agreed I like them. Where else can you get a 16mm socket at 3pm on a Sunday? Some things are a bit pricey but only when you compare them to the Internet and
^^^^^^i m with him on this :D

cattytown
16th October 2011, 09:25
I quite like Halfords. They are not the cheapest, but their tools an the guarantee are rather good.

as for the fitting, I wonder of the fitting cost would cover for a tourer with spinny rivnuts?

Tim_Burgess
16th October 2011, 10:02
I agree with Lates, for the technically inept out there to walk in with a blown headlight bulb and walk out with it working is all they want. Again it's not an hourly rate, so one bulb might be 5 mins, another might be 45 so the latter has had a darn good deal, the former had made halfords a couple of quid.

Basically the retailer takes the rough with the smooth, that's what being in business is all about. Oh, and trying to make a profit so you can earn a living / pay staff / taxes / heat / light / business rates etc. They are not a charity, they are in business to make money.

ardvark
16th October 2011, 10:48
So why didn't you send your daughter there then??? :shrug:

She's a independent girl, she wants to do things her way. Like buying two tyres for £120 because she was told a high speed blowout would turn her car over. I told her after she bought them that two for half that price would do just fine, it's a KA for god's sake. I always get the Daaaaaaad call after these things happen.

Kai Herb
16th October 2011, 11:14
I quite like Halfords. They are not the cheapest, but their tools an the guarantee are rather good.

as for the fitting, I wonder of the fitting cost would cover for a tourer with spinny rivnuts?

If they cant get the screws undone then they cant fit the bulb.

Same goes for any job they take on , if they cant complete it due to issues then normally they refund the labour and parts and advise you to take it to a mechanic.

Jakg
16th October 2011, 15:53
Halfords in "companies need to make a profit" shock.

If your garage will sell you bulbs and fit them for 25p and half a mars bar, thats great... but you couldn't run a large retail store on those margins.

windrush
16th October 2011, 15:57
So it looks like most members on here dont think that Halfords are so bad after all

matt1301
16th October 2011, 16:07

I think its more like £3.99 for a rear bulb, you must have been ripped off there.

Also, they are far from going under, if you follow the markets they just released their quarter results and they're one of the few retailers that aren't shutting down branches left right and centre.

MangoMan
16th October 2011, 16:10
So it looks like most members on here dont think that Halfords are so bad after all

No, it just took a bit of a nudge to get them to admit it....... A bit like people admitting they like ABBA...... I love 'em!!!

:smilie_re: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92cwKCU8Z5c&ob=av2n :getmecoat:

Kai Herb
16th October 2011, 16:30
£9.99 for a rear bulb doesnt sound right , if that was what she was charged then i would go back to the store and enquire why.

Faq from Halfords website

Yes, Halfords trained professionals offer a range of fitting services including:
»Car battery fitting for just £4.99.
»Car headlight bulb fitting for just £6.99.
»Other car bulb fitting for just £3.99.
»Wiper blade fitting for just £1.99 (for one blade) or £2.99 (for a pair).
Pre-booking may be required - contact your local store. Fitting subject to vehicle inspection. Take a look at all of Halfords fitting services.

daviecol
16th October 2011, 16:52
They charged me £6:99 a few days ago for a main front headlamp fit on my 75. It was 7pm, cold, dark and raining, in my opinion a bargin.

My last car a new shape micra (I know, the shame is still there) they couldn't do, my garage did it for £15 took him over 30 mins using a mirror on a stick and a torch held by another mechanic!

Talago
16th October 2011, 16:58
After the struggle I had changing a headlight bulb on my 75 I would happily pay £6.99 (0r even £9.99) to have someone else do it. I have quite large hands and still have a scar on the back of my right hand where I took skin off working throught the access panel under the wheelarch.

T16
16th October 2011, 17:44
This thread is ridiculous.

You cant extrapolate a £9.99 charge and fabricate a per hour rate.

Its a job rate, not an hourly one.

ardvark
17th October 2011, 10:50
I think members are missing the point I'm trying to make. They used to fit "easy fit" bulbs free when they first started a fitting service. It took me 2 minutes to fit the bulb. That service at Halfrauds should have been free. If it was a bumper off job to fit the bulbs then I can understand a fitting charge. I see it as another company ripping people off whenever they can.

Commodore
17th October 2011, 11:03
Don't think we are missing the point. It's more that your point is fatally flawed!

Just because the service might have been free in the past, why should it be free now? Halfords are entitled to charge what they want for any service they offer. If a customer doesn't like it - vote with your feet and go elsewhere or do it yourself.

Also, why should the need for the bumper to come off (or not in this case) have any bearing on whether a business can and should charge fro providing a convenience service?

If you don't want to pay for an oike in an orange polo shirt to touch your car inappropriately, then don't! You don't sound like the type of person that needs help fitting a bulb (which is a good thing), but plenty of car owners don't have a clue (sadly) how to do even basic maintenance of their cars. Some do know, but simply can't be bothered to do it themselves and/or don't want to get their hands messy (like me when I needed a new battery fitted). Some just like the back-up of being covered if the fitting goes wrong and the car gets damaged (often the same people that go to main dealers for aftercare).

You are not obliged to have Halfords fit a bulb you buy from them, so you are not obliged to incur the additional cost. Therefore, Halfords is not "ripping people off" as you imply. The company is offering customers a choice, and a service at a reasonable price compared with main dealer prices.

sikelsh
17th October 2011, 11:04
I think you may be missing the point really.

In the olden days, when you could move in and spend 2 weeks holiday in the engine bay of an Austin Princess etc, then yes why not free.

However, after having to remove the bumper on my Rover 75 once to fit a bulb because I dislodged a badly designed clip, 6.99 or 9.99 is a bargain.

I have also had a Renault Megane, and the dealers wanted £125 to change the bulbs, Halfords 6.99!!

The cars have changed, on some cars, such as the KA thats still designed with simplicity, the will make money, on other cars, such as the Megane, they will loose money, your £300/hour on a Megane, could quite easily be £20/hour

Simon

Tim_Burgess
17th October 2011, 12:09
I don't know the OP so, therefore don't know if he has ever run a business himself, or been in a position where he has to keep business costs under control. Based on his comments my guess is that he hasn't. I could be wrong.:shrug:

The rate quoted was the rate for the job. I work on a similar basis. Hopefully over the course of a week / month of taking some jobs that are straightforward and a few that are total pigs you end up making youself a crust; and that's exactly where Halfords are coming from. If you're not willing to pay for the convenience, I'm sure they don't lock you in the store and threaten to slaughter your firstborn unless you agree.

As they have now introduced a charge for something that used to be free, I guess that they are trying, like all of us, to cover rising costs. That I'm sure applies to all our domestic bills as well as the costs for those of us who run a business. Welcome to our world.

baughurst
17th October 2011, 13:27
I think members are missing the point I'm trying to make. They used to fit "easy fit" bulbs free when they first started a fitting service. It took me 2 minutes to fit the bulb. That service at Halfrauds should have been free. If it was a bumper off job to fit the bulbs then I can understand a fitting charge. I see it as another company ripping people off whenever they can.

I'm afraid it's you that are missing the point. We get customers coming in every week "just for" this that and the other. If we did every job like that free then they'd soon have to take their car elsewhere as we'd go under.

We also use a menu system for common jobs and servicing. Sometimes we go under time, sometimes over. No-one pays more but no-one pays less either. That's what a menu is all about. If you went to a restaurant and couldn't eat all your meal, would you expect a refund on the uneaten bit?

Too many people expect summat for nowt these days I'm afraid.

Kai Herb
17th October 2011, 14:34
Halfords is a business not a charity........simples :rolleyes:

Why should you have it fitted for free ? would you work for free ??? :shrug:

THEY ARE NOT RIPPING PEOPLE OFF !!!!

eskezz
17th October 2011, 18:21
But they do sell some of the best value high component road bikes around from the 'Boardman' range.
Off topic slightly but who cares.