PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 Glovebox Fusebox?

pETEkv6
13th September 2007, 17:21
Hi,
Does anyone have a map/diagram of the fuses in the fusebox under the glovebox.
The other day the RAC came out to help with a flat battery - the cause of which turned out to be a fuse in this box. He removed it for the timebeing to prevent the car battery going flat. I now want to replace it to see if the problem still exists. However, there are several open slots in the fusebox - and I`m not sure which one to return it to.:confused:
its Fuse number 15 - controls the radio/satnav/aircon controls...
Cheers,
Pete

Greeners
13th September 2007, 17:28
There should be a lay out on the underside of the lower "kick panel" that covers the fuse box.

Undo the 2 quater turn screws, and on the bulkhead are two large dome headed plastic fasteners that need a large coin (2p) to undo.

pETEkv6
13th September 2007, 17:58
Yup- found the schematic on the back of the fusebox compartment - thanks!

However - the numbered fuses on this schematic do not seem to correctly correspond to the fuses in the box. For instnace there are several 'Number 15' fuses in the fusebox!
Oh well - might be best left to the experts at the garage methinks....

mattthetourer
13th September 2007, 18:11
they are 15 amp fuses.Hard to see but each slot is numbered.

Greeners
13th September 2007, 18:52
As Matt says, the schematic leaves a lot to be desired.

From memory, fuse No 1 is bottom left....If you get a torch you should be able to see the fuse number stamped adjacent to each fuse.

Simon
13th September 2007, 18:54
It's also worth noting that not all fuse boxes are the same. In the past we have discovered some members cars seem to have different fuse layouts to others :shrug:

Worth keeping in mind... :)

Greeners
13th September 2007, 19:23
It's also worth noting that not all fuse boxes are the same. In the past we have discovered some members cars seem to have different fuse layouts to others :shrug:

I couldn't agree more......not only that, they don't appear to tie up eith the workshop manual.

Mike
13th September 2007, 19:24

Spot on Simon :) From late 2001 on the fusebox was different (another victim of Project Drive). If you pm me an email address I'll send you the full layout from the workshop manual.

hth

Mike

pETEkv6
13th September 2007, 19:28
Ah ha - thats it, its a 15a fuse (not number 15). Thanks - I`ll take another look at it in the morning.

Cheers Guys.....

Departed
13th September 2007, 19:37
flat battery with satnav fitted? If it's hiline satnav, check the spare wheel well for water.

Otherwise I have heard of faulty satnav computers.

Greeners
13th September 2007, 19:44
flat battery with satnav fitted? If it's hiline satnav, check the spare wheel well for water.

Otherwise I have heard of faulty satnav computers.

Almost certainly it's the Sat Nav not powering down.....

JohnDotCom
13th September 2007, 23:49
As Said by David and others the Hi Line Sat Nav Computer is generally the Problem.
To check this Open Boot/Tailgate and make sure the Computer is Visible.
Turn off Ignition remove keys and watch sat nav computer the Light on the Front should now be red, it should go out after a couple of minutes at the most.
If it stays on that is what is draining your battery.
Whilst doing Test,
Do not open Doors or make anything electrical start as this will restart the Sat Nav.

pETEkv6
14th September 2007, 08:19
Well - surprise surprise, its the SatNav. As you say, the red LED stays on even after the car is switched off and locked for 5min+.
Its in at the local garage today to see if they can diagnose the problem further. Otherwise I guess it might be a new satnav unit for the boot...:unlucky:

Is it possible to use this as an oppertunity to upgrade the satnav unit to a later version (car is 2004/04 facelift, HiLine)? Any idea of costs, and would i have to upgrade any other components?

Spôôk
14th September 2007, 08:59
Is it possible to use this as an oppertunity to upgrade the satnav unit to a later version (car is 2004/04 facelift, HiLine)? Any idea of costs, and would i have to upgrade any other components?

Sure you can upgrade. Check ebay for MkIII or MkIV BMW satnav, depending on what you have today. Both will work. The MkIV being the newest (and more expensive) alternative. However, you will probably need a new map CD/DVD as well - if not included with the satnav.

If SWMBO is not looking or you are single:) with a good bank connection, you might even consider going with the BMW 16:9 screen in the cabin.

JohnDotCom
14th September 2007, 09:00
You can upgrade to the MK4 BMW computer which is a straight swap.
This is a DVD unit with even more specs and editing capabilities etc.
Have a look on EBay and sometimes here they appear quite often.
16:9 screen is another option but you may also have to change TV tuner as some only give 4:3 Picture.

JohnDotCom
14th September 2007, 09:00
Dooh! Well done, beat me Preben! :D

pETEkv6
14th September 2007, 17:58
Sure you can upgrade. Check ebay for MkIII or MkIV BMW satnav, depending on what you have today. Both will work. The MkIV being the newest (and more expensive) alternative. However, you will probably need a new map CD/DVD as well - if not included with the satnav.

If SWMBO is not looking or you are single:) with a good bank connection, you might even consider going with the BMW 16:9 screen in the cabin.

Hi,
Looks like an upgrade is the way to go then. My Rover dealer, having charged me £89 to confirm the problem, suggested sending the unit to Siemens for a repair/exchange at £240!!!

A Mk3 unit on ebay can be had for aprox £180+£20p+p, but it is used
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-sat-nav-MK3-navigation-computer-E38-E39-E46-X5-X3Z4_W0QQitemZ250162740974QQihZ015QQcategoryZ75327 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What would be involved in upgrading the screen to a widescreen?
Is it worth me considering upgrading to the Mk4 unit?

Cheers guys....
Pete

JohnDotCom
14th September 2007, 20:57
The MK4 is the way to go. IMHO. if funds allow still a straight swap.
MK3 does have the Split screen facilty.
16:9 Wide Screen Head unit is a straight swap with a fit of filing to make it fit, has to be the Tape version BMW E39
as with the CD player behind you need a New Radio Unit BMW BM54 new wiring, and a New Tuner.
To get the 16:9 screen filled for TV?dvd you would also need a 16:9 TV tuner as the 4:3 one would just give you that format picture on the wider screen.

Exchange Units are not new either!!