PDA

View Full Version : Nano Meet ?

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 12:51
Hi Guys does anyone know of a place members could work on cars
to do mods at somewhere big enough for cars to be worked on
and to show them how to do them :)and for toilets nearby if they need to be used,

Paul

baconbuttyman
25th October 2011, 13:26
You need to be looking at privately owned land for this type of thing really, cant see many pubs or public car parks allowing this sort of thing, not really the thing people want to see is a load of car parts all over the place at their local pub or eatery etc.
Thats why i did this last year (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=70083)

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 13:43
Thank You Mick thats gived me a few ideas now what to look for and what to do on the day :)

Paul

Following on some great advice from Baconbuttymans post
think would need to ask if other members can help with doing
mods on a car for other members,So Guys help me out here :)
if you can help put your names forward

Paul

scouseeric
25th October 2011, 14:27
Paul, iirc one of the members with a garage up Blackburn/ Darwin way was offering his services on the lines of Andy's over in Donny. I cant remember who it was though!.....Anyone? hth:)

Eric

James.uk
25th October 2011, 14:28
As Andy Willi and John are only in Doncaster, it would be much much easier to pop along to one of their Nano meets as they have both the facilities and the expertise innit.. :}

It's also worth bearing in mind that only a few special people have both the knowledge needed at nano meets, and are willing to spend a lot of their free time helping people sort problems out. So really, the fewer Nano's there are, the easier life is for those special people innit.. :}

We have to be carefull that people don't start using the nano meets simply as a means of getting their cars done on the cheap innit... :} Our "experts" don't deserve to be treated like that..

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 14:36
As Andy Willi and John are only in Doncaster, it would be much much easier to pop along to one of their Nano meets as they have both the facilities and the expertise innit.. :}

It's also worth bearing in mind that only a few special people have both the knowledge needed at nano meets, and are willing to spend a lot of their free time helping people sort problems out. So really, the fewer Nano's there are, the easier life is for those special people innit.. :}

We have to be carefull that people don't start using the nano meets simply as a means of getting their cars done on the cheap innit... :} Our "experts" don't deserve to be treated like that..
Hi James i know what you mean but for small jobs like walnut dash and things like that surely that helps everyone,

yes why i asked surely members here as well have that knowledge as well
to help fellow members and get to know them and if you dont ask area does not move forward small mods is what i meant i dont see any harm
in that to be honest,

I know they dont need to be treated like that why i asked for ideas and to show a member how to do the job so they can do it themselves and dont think a lot of members would think like that why i asked for ideas on here

Paul

derekosb
25th October 2011, 15:31

I have to disagree James.

Doncaster is in a different Region and Paul is "trying" to start something for the North West. Anyway, no-one is suggesting treating the "special" members in a poor way, that is down to the membership.

Anyone attending a nano has to be prepared to get their hands dirty. If you just want your car fixed, take it to a garage and pay someone. Nano's are there for "members" of what is an "Owners CLUB" to get together and share their experience and knowledge, to increase the knowledge base within the club, and assist in keeping more of the cars on the road. This will become more and more important over time. This club will be a very different place in 10 years time for example when the youngest cars will be 16 years old and the oldest 22.

No one can force a member to offer their "services" at a nano. The offer comes because a member wants to help and share their knowledge.

Good on Paul for looking to see if there is any interest in this for your region.

Hi James i know what you mean but for small jobs like walnut dash and things like that surely that helps everyone,

yes why i asked surely members here as well have that knowledge as well
to help fellow members and get to know them and if you dont ask area does not move forward small mods is what i meant i dont see any harm
in that to be honest,

I know they dont need to be treated like that why i asked for ideas and to show a member how to do the job so they can do it themselves and dont think a lot of members would think like that why i asked for ideas on here

Paul

I think it would great if you can get something up and running Paul as I get the impression from the other nano's that they generate a really positive "Club" atmosphere where everyone mucks in and members all help members.

Good luck with it and hopefully people will be interested.

Regards,

Derek

baconbuttyman
25th October 2011, 15:33
I agree, would be good to have a "local to you" way of getting mods done.

Parker
25th October 2011, 15:36
Paul, this is a good idea to get members who have a bit of know how to impart their expertise to those members who are a bit nervous in levering out a plastic dash for example and dreading damaging their rich looking real walnut one.

This kind of Nano meet with basic maintenance can help members with

Bonnet Mod
Plenum Checking
Orange Clip Replacement
etc. etc.

Major maintenance as you have already noted in your post would be a headache and quite frankly is not what the nanos are about.

Good luck with sorting something in your region but start small and build I suggest :}

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 15:39
Paul, iirc one of the members with a garage up Blackburn/ Darwin way was offering his services on the lines of Andy's over in Donny. I cant remember who it was though!.....Anyone? hth:)

Eric

Hi Eric i tryed his website but its down and dont have his number
to get in touch with him

Paul

Canon
25th October 2011, 16:11
I personally love the idea of a North West nano meeting. Before i got my Rover i didnt know anything about cars, in the 3 months ive had her ive done the following:

Full service
Fitted and wired Towbar
Refurbed a faulty coil pack
Changed door cards
Fitted a bit of chrome to door handle
Learnt how to wash and wax myself

To some these are lttle things they could probably do blind folded but im quite proud of myself as in the past ive paid for these type of things to be done for me. Now at a meet there could be another person like me who hasnt a clue and i can help them or just offer an extra pair of hands. Also watching the experts on some ones car will give me the knowledge to do my own. So come on peeps lets not shoot this down. I have come in late to the Rovers but im hooked and in it for the long haul, lets not let this knowledge of repairs and mods disapear.

Paul keep pushing and eventually we can find a place to hold regular meets. At the moment im trying to get in touch with a farmer he has an old barn and an adjacant yard which would be perfect for us, as far as i know he does not use it. Even if we had to sub him £10 or £20 per meet for the barn at least its out of the rain

derekosb
25th October 2011, 16:13
I personally love the idea of a North West nano meeting.

At the moment im trying to get in touch with a farmer he has an old barn and an adjacant yard which would be perfect for us, as far as i know he does not use it. Even if we had to sub him £10 or £20 per meet for the barn at least its out of the rain

You see Paul,

There is an interest in this and a farmers barn might be ideal, assuming it is easy enough for everyone to find :}

Sounds like a good option if Canon can make contact.

Derek

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 16:15
That sounds ideal Tony i would pay that no problem with a bit of luck
he will say ok to it and that would be tha sorted then thanks for your help
Tony :D

Paul

justmicky
25th October 2011, 16:29
I think this is a great idea Paul and hope that a lot more members will too.

You know the old saying two heads are better than one.

The barn idea sounds just the business.

Its early days as yet, plenty of time for other members to chip in.;)

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 16:35
I think this is a great idea Paul and hope that a lot more members will too.

You know the old saying two heads are better than one.

The barn idea sounds just the business.

Its early days as yet, plenty of time for other members to chip in.;)

Hi Mike

Yes thats very true it all helps :)

It does sound ideal and to be under cover as well

Yes it is but at least now getting people talking
if they want to do something like that :D

stocktake
25th October 2011, 16:52
I could probably donate a day depending on when and where :)

James.uk
25th October 2011, 16:54
Please don't misunderstand. I am very much in favour of nano's, and I have been to a couple myself. :}. I just wanted to point out the possible pitfalls is all.. :o

A local Nano would be great, just bear in mind that we don't want to kill the willing horses innit.. :}

The barn sounds nice, should be full of pigeons innit.. lol.. :D :D :D

pab
25th October 2011, 16:55

..James.UK don't forget where the original Nano meets started,in the West Midlands and where the original phrase for such a meet was coined.

The few special people as you mention it like you to perform the task under their supervision,that way you learn and pass on valuable information to other club members..This kind of meet was never intended to be a cheap 'fix' on members cars.

Paul,i wish you the best in finding a suitable venue and if the timing is right i will be joining you.

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 16:55
Thank You Dave for offering you services very kind of you :wine:

Paul

Thank You Pab for saying that and if the right date is set look forward to seeing you again :)

Paul

stocktake
25th October 2011, 16:57
Paul,i wish you the best in finding a suitable venue and if the timing is right i will be joining you.

Unless the cat needs feeding :getmecoat:

pab
25th October 2011, 16:59
Unless the cat needs feeding :getmecoat:Well..yeah,i will have to take that into consideration obviously before i offer my services ;)

stocktake
25th October 2011, 17:01
Well..yeah,i will have to take that into consideration obviously before i offer my services ;)
you and me both Pab :D

J1MBO
25th October 2011, 17:24
Dare I say it's looking very good Paul for the North West.

I'll only be too pleased to offer any assistance you might need - even if it's only an extra pair of hands.

Love the idea of a North West region "nano" type of meet - the last one we had was at the Romper near Manchester Airport during September 2010 when Trebor and some I shouldn't mention paid us a visit. Horners provided T4 facilities at the same meet, maybe it might be an idea to have a word with them to see if they could help us out with T4 at meets in the future.

Really good of Dave and Paul to offer their help for a NW "nano" - it's appreciated.

Now what do other NW members think, what would they like to see at meets etc.

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 17:28
Dare I say it's looking very good Paul for the North West.

I'll only be too pleased to offer any assistance you might need - even if it's only an extra pair of hands.

Love the idea of a North West region "nano" type of meet - the last one we had was at the Romper near Manchester Airport during September 2010 when Trebor and some I shouldn't mention paid us a visit. Horners provided T4 facilities at the same meet, maybe it might be an idea to have a word with them to see if they could help us out with T4 at meets in the future.

Really good of Dave and Paul to offer their help for a NW "nano" - it's appreciated.

Now what do other NW members think, what would they like to see at meets etc.

Hi Jim yes it is i think people are starting to like the idea of it :)
thanks for the info will send them a message to see what they think :)
Yes it is very Appreciated of them to offer there services to show members how to do things Thank You Both :)
Yeap up to the members now :)

Paul

bobgrice
25th October 2011, 17:59
i like the idea of a meet with a T4 available that would be a great bonus

:group:

pab
25th October 2011, 18:11
i like the idea of a meet with a T4 available that would be a great bonus

:group:I'm quite confident if you can get this off the ground,BigRuss could attend with his magic wand ;)

Wolves 75
25th October 2011, 18:16
You need a Campfire..................:D:D:D:D

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 18:20
Thank You Guys for all the kind comments :)

Paul

woolleysox
25th October 2011, 18:24
The barn sounds nice, should be full of pigeons innit.. lol.. :D :D :D
thats lunch sorted then:getmecoat:

baconbuttyman
25th October 2011, 18:26
I personally love the idea of a North West nano meeting. Before i got my Rover i didnt know anything about cars, in the 3 months ive had her ive done the following:

Full service
Fitted and wired Towbar
Refurbed a faulty coil pack
Changed door cards
Fitted a bit of chrome to door handle
Learnt how to wash and wax myself

To some these are lttle things they could probably do blind folded but im quite proud of myself as in the past ive paid for these type of things to be done for me. Now at a meet there could be another person like me who hasnt a clue and i can help them or just offer an extra pair of hands. Also watching the experts on some ones car will give me the knowledge to do my own. So come on peeps lets not shoot this down. I have come in late to the Rovers but im hooked and in it for the long haul, lets not let this knowledge of repairs and mods disapear.

Paul keep pushing and eventually we can find a place to hold regular meets. At the moment im trying to get in touch with a farmer he has an old barn and an adjacant yard which would be perfect for us, as far as i know he does not use it. Even if we had to sub him £10 or £20 per meet for the barn at least its out of the rain

hi bud, did you fit yours tow bar or get some one to do it for you

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 18:55
Tony fitted it and wired it all up and looks very good Mick :)

ssizefive
25th October 2011, 20:36
Hi Paul, i dont know if the offer still stands but didnt 'autopia' say he would be happy to open his premises up for a meet? I think he said he was in Darwen.

Steve.

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 20:39
Hi Steve i had his website saved but now when i go to look at it wont
open up and fails so cant get it touch with him as no details now

johnny english
25th October 2011, 20:59
scouse what you propose is a brilliant idea not only for others but for me personally as I can`t attend far away meets as i am a carer so I do`nt have much time available. I will offer any help I can, now where`s that thinking cap.

andy willi
25th October 2011, 21:04
i will attend your first meet if its a nano or just a meet and i think southport beach will do for a meet plenty to do and will bring back memorys

andy

Scouse1958
25th October 2011, 21:13
scouse what you propose is a brilliant idea not only for others but for me personally as I can`t attend far away meets as i am a carer so I do`nt have much time available. I will offer any help I can, now where`s that thinking cap.

Thank You Johnny its all to help members with mods and to get them to know how to do it and then helps other members Thank You for your post :)

Paul

Hi Andy yes sounds good i will have to check if that would be allowed
up by there beaches and be handy for the family as well

Paul

autopia
5th February 2012, 20:36
Hi Guys,

I did offer use of my workshop as a meet venue and did leave Paul a couple of voicemails on his home phone but didn't hear any more from him.

As you'll see from my adverts in the classifieds, I'm actually selling my ZT-T and I'm effectively closing the workshop for business, as there just weren't enough people who wanted to work on their cars to make it worthwhile, I'll keep the workshop for a little while longer for some classic car work, so you'd be welcome to drop by for a Saturday meet as long as I have it.

PM me

Best regards,

Darren

Scouse1958
5th February 2012, 20:49
Hi Guys,

I did offer use of my workshop as a meet venue and did leave Paul a couple of voicemails on his home phone but didn't hear any more from him.

As you'll see from my adverts in the classifieds, I'm actually selling my ZT-T and I'm effectively closing the workshop for business, as there just weren't enough people who wanted to work on their cars to make it worthwhile, I'll keep the workshop for a little while longer for some classic car work, so you'd be welcome to drop by for a Saturday meet as long as I have it.

PM me

Best regards,

Darren

Hi Just sent you a pm about this and to try and arrange something with you if ok.

Paul

Hi Darren just tryed to ring you and get the answer phone message.

Canon
5th February 2012, 21:46
The Liverpool MG Rover guy's had there monthly meeting at the Game Bird today, about 15 cars turned up. As the weather will be improving soon (i know we just had snow) why not hold a monthly meeting there. Say the first Sunday of the month between 1pm to 5pm.
I know there is the Hollow Tree but thats at night in the dark and for me personally a bit difficult to get to through the week

andyg2011
5th February 2012, 21:54
The Liverpool MG Rover guy's had there monthly meeting at the Game Bird today, about 15 cars turned up. As the weather will be improving soon (i know we just had snow) why not hold a monthly meeting there. Say the first Sunday of the month between 1pm to 5pm.
I know there is the Hollow Tree but thats at night in the dark and for me personally a bit difficult to get to through the week

good idea tony maybe a weekend mthy meet is what we need but we do have to think of this first

me and paul are looking into some areas and trying to boost the numbers so it maybe we have to try other places to find the right one but i agree with you maybe we can try it and see what people thing after all we need something to please everyone,

am so sorry i didnt join you today but am hoping you got pm