PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Installation----- Now Stuck !!!

Greeners
16th September 2007, 07:43
Just to recap, I've retro fitted cruise control to my V6. Where possible, I've checked the continuity of all the wiring, sensors and switches. Unlike the lucky diesel boys, when I turn it on I get a prety green light and nothing more.

I've read through the engine management manual, and if I've interprated it coreectly, there is definately a lack of output from the ECM.

So, what options do I have now.

My first thought was to buy a second hand ECM with cruise control already enabled. However the complictions of matching the imobilisor basically creates more work.

Second thought was again a second hand unit, get it wiped clean (if possible?) and then recode it via the Testbook to include cruise control. Again I'm not sure of either the ECM or Testbook limitaions in this instance.

Third option, is a brand new ECM. This in theory should be straight forward as this is the route you would take if your original ECM was damaged (flooded !!), the presumably the Testbook would see what was installed and upload the appropriate coding. Trouble is this is a very expensive option.

Fourth option, is to speak to Xpart / Omitech and see if they can help. I suspect not as cruise control was only ever factory fit so there would be no reason to give dealer support.

I do have another line of hope in the guise of LandRover. The V6 Freelander has the same engine and I assume therefore the same ECM as the Rover. A friend of mine is making some descreet enquires to see if the coding is similar.

So there we go, if you are looking to do the same, unless your ECM has already been coded, your chances of getting it working are slim........

pondweed
16th September 2007, 07:56
I think omitech will fix it.. but they will want a print out of your existing codes first to maximise chances of getting it right. I think its a potentially risky option as things can still go wrong if they get the recoding wrong... i.e. hassle, time, further xpart fees and so on.

option 5. just buy a diesel. you know you've been looking for an excuse...:lol:

Greeners
16th September 2007, 08:17
I think omitech will fix it.. but they will want a print out of your existing codes first to maximise chances of getting it right. I think its a potentially risky option as things can still go wrong if they get the recoding wrong... i.e. hassle, time, further xpart fees and so on.

option 5. just buy a diesel. you know you've been looking for an excuse...:lol:

I'd love a diesel, but my budget didn't strech that far....!!!!!!! My ZT was very cheap so I don't mind spending a bit on it.

I think that the Xpart Omitech is the route I'm going to take........