PDA

View Full Version : Opinions requested re clutch

baxlin
17th September 2007, 09:07
Just been away for a couple of weeks without the 75, and suffering withdrawal symptoms. Had a Fiesta diesel hire car, and when I got back into the Rover, I realised just how heavy the clutch action is. Now done a few miles and I'm used to it again, but it's set me wondering if there's a problem.

Car has 120,000 miles, manual (obviously) 2002 CDT, I bought it at 87,000 miles, so the clutch is at least 33,000 miles old. Just had a service, and no comment was made by the independent garage, so does anyone have any comment/advice?

Thanks

Malcolm

Mike
17th September 2007, 10:28
Hi Malcolm,

If you want a second opinion feel free to give me a call.

hth

Roverron
17th September 2007, 11:45
Just been away for a couple of weeks without the 75, and suffering withdrawal symptoms. Had a Fiesta diesel hire car, and when I got back into the Rover, I realised just how heavy the clutch action is. Now done a few miles and I'm used to it again, but it's set me wondering if there's a problem.

Car has 120,000 miles, manual (obviously) 2002 CDT, I bought it at 87,000 miles, so the clutch is at least 33,000 miles old. Just had a service, and no comment was made by the independent garage, so does anyone have any comment/advice?

Thanks

Malcolm

The clutch is quite heavy on the 75. My 45s and X-type have much lighter ones but they also feel flimsier!

Ron

baxlin
17th September 2007, 12:23
Hi Malcolm,

If you want a second opinion feel free to give me a call.

hth

Thanks Mike, probably will do when I've recovered from the return-to-work trauma!!!

Malcolm

Tom Collins
17th September 2007, 12:28
Mine has allways felt heavy too. Takes some time to get used to after driving something else for any length of time, but then I don't notice it.

Keith
17th September 2007, 12:34
People have said changing the fluid can make quite a difference

Dave Goody
17th September 2007, 12:41
My ZTs clutch is very heavy, it was before and after replacement. I drive my little Corsa diesel van more than the ZT and immediatly notice the heavy clutch when driving the ZT. Mind you the lack of power steering on the van means I would sooner have the heavy clutch on the ZT:D

T-Cut
17th September 2007, 13:00
Had a Fiesta diesel hire car, and when I got back into the Rover, I realised just how heavy the clutch action is. Now done a few miles and I'm used to it again, but it's set me wondering if there's a problem.

Comparing a Fiesta with a 75/ZT isn't very meaningful. The power transmitted by each clutch is vastly different. The sheer power demand makes the MGR clutch harder to separate, since neither system has any assistance. Imagine both cars without power steering!

TC

r44712
17th September 2007, 13:05
I've always found the 75/ZTs clutch action to be heavy - it makes my ZRs "floppy" by comparision and find myself "over-reacting" having spent a week in the ZT.