PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts

David3807
22nd November 2006, 17:07
I intend keeping my 75 for several years and am a little worried that spares prices will rapidly increase once the stocks of old and original MGR spares have been exausted.

Anyone else have a view on this ???

Lovel
22nd November 2006, 17:27
I intend keeping my 75 for several years and am a little worried that spares prices will rapidly increase once the stocks of old and original MGR spares have been exausted.

My views:
-With two manufacturers developing their version of the 75, I would think that there may be some potential here for spares into the future.
-Xpart are commiting to future supplies for how long I don't know?
-If I can restore a 30 year old vehicle that was produced in less numbers than the 75, and obtain every last nut and bolt, then I believe the spares for the 75 will be more obtainable in years to come.
-Check out Rimmer Bros and look at what is available for the SD1 today.
-The 75 was Rovers swansong, and it would not be unreasonable to expect a strong following and demand from enthusiasts in the near and long term.
Just check the range of parts that are available for the MGB or for Triumphs.:)

JohnFol
22nd November 2006, 17:29
depends slightly on which engine you have as the CDT is pretty much BMW, but I don't have any concerns about the "running" or electrical gear.

Other spares such as body panels may increase as I think the moulds / templates (whatever they are called) went to China.

Just my 2€'s worth

JohnFol
22nd November 2006, 17:31
PS lovel, many thanks for starting the TM retrofit thread :lol:

windrush
22nd November 2006, 18:58
I cant see any problems with parts but who knows what the future holds

JP53
22nd November 2006, 19:37

To many on the road for some one not to make parts.
The Chinese version is bound to have many parts the same.
There will be scrap ones to get parts off.
Me thinks all will be well. :)

Mel75
22nd November 2006, 19:51
i was told dont know if it was porkys that when a manufacturer goes to the wall that spares have to be available for 12 years, can this be possible? I was told this by the salesman by the way :rolleyes:

Mel75

Lovel
22nd November 2006, 22:12
i was told dont know if it was porkys that when a manufacturer goes to the wall that spares have to be available for 12 years, can this be possible? I was told this by the salesman by the way :rolleyes:

Mel75

I heard it was 10 years, but that only applied if the model had came to the end of it's normal production life.
In the MGR case this occured abruptly when they went to the wall all their liabilities went with them.

The biggest thing we have to fear with the availability of spares and the right to carry out car maintenance etc in the future is the threat from the bleeding heart eco warrior, HMG and EEC. They want us to stop dabbling with our cars full stop.
:mad: Sorry off thread here, but I just feel I want a rant, I'll just stop now before I say anymore.

baxlin
23rd November 2006, 10:38
No Lovel, for me, please carry on with the rant - where do they think they get all the electricity to power these zero emissions vehicles.

And are "bendy" buses appropriate for urban streets? They take up twice as much room as a double decker, are potentially dangerous to pedestrians as they take a sharp corner, have more wheels on the road so are more damaging....

Admin/mods, can we have a "grumpy old men" section where we can rant away?

Edit: Apologies for straying even more off topic, wipe or move the post if appropriate

Malcolm

GreyGhost
23rd November 2006, 11:04
If you chaps want to have a proper rant or even a discussion on any subject other than the 75's ZT's within reason of course, take it to the social forum and rant away. :) That's one of the reasons for it's existence.

M47Rman
23rd November 2006, 18:46
I heard it was 10 years, but that only applied if the model had came to the end of it's normal production life.
In the MGR case this occured abruptly when they went to the wall all their liabilities went with them.

The biggest thing we have to fear with the availability of spares and the right to carry out car maintenance etc in the future is the threat from the bleeding heart eco warrior, HMG and EEC. They want us to stop dabbling with our cars full stop.
:mad: Sorry off thread here, but I just feel I want a rant, I'll just stop now before I say anymore.

I also understood it was 10 years. As the parts business was sold off prior to MGR's collapse, would the liability for parts supply rest with the independant parts supplier, and therefore be maintained for 10 years after the last models were produced by MGR?:confused:

GreyGhost
23rd November 2006, 20:06
I also understood it was 10 years. As the parts business was sold off prior to MGR's collapse, would the liability for parts supply rest with the independant parts supplier, and therefore be maintained for 10 years after the last models were produced by MGR?:confused:

I believe it is government legislation that is responsible for making manufacturers supply parts for ten years after model end. If left solely to manufacturers buying any car would be a minefield. In this case as Cat. took on responsibility for parts then I firmly believe they have to adhere to the rules governing any car manufacturer.

crofts
24th November 2006, 01:04
I believe it is government legislation that is responsible for making manufacturers supply parts for ten years after model end. If left solely to manufacturers buying any car would be a minefield. In this case as Cat. took on responsibility for parts then I firmly believe they have to adhere to the rules governing any car manufacturer.

Bet Caterpillar have a legal OUT to that one
I'm not so concerned with availability. As I said when posting the price of a recon auto box from Xpart ( £1854), I am more concerned with how much they will charge, specially when the likes of SMC run out of O/E parts. The excuse will probably be 'as we can only manufacture small runs we are forced to raise prices'
Our saving may still be the Chinese !:eek:

David3807
24th November 2006, 02:12
Crofts,

It was in fact your comment that started me thinking about horrific prices increases. Availability does not seem to be a problem now and on the whole I dont think our cars have that many unique parts. Exclude body panels, seats etc from that comment of course.

But I have noted a few comments on this (and another forum) about some parts not being available and unlikely to be manufactured again eg Mudflaps for facelift cars. OK mudflaps are not exactly vital but it did make me think that we are relying on a large multinational for support for the future and that that company's profits and shareholders demands could mean that we are suddenly without that support.

There are alternatives to the MGR parts for at least service items. Should we be gathering information from our members about what alternatives they have used and if the performance of that part was satisfactory. I have seen comments good and bad about non MGR parts in indivudual threads but I dont think this has been gathered in one place yet. WOuld give me a little confidence if I could not get say MGR Brake pads that 10 or so others had used Mintex and they were OK.

Just an early morning thought,

ramble over

Lovel
24th November 2006, 12:07
Bet Caterpillar have a legal OUT to that one
I'm not so concerned with availability. As I said when posting the price of a recon auto box from Xpart ( £1854), I am more concerned with how much they will charge, specially when the likes of SMC run out of O/E parts. The excuse will probably be 'as we can only manufacture small runs we are forced to raise prices'
Our saving may still be the Chinese !:eek:

We are some years away from "classic car" status (I hate that phrase) but in time when the 75 arrives there, then what about BMIH (British Heritage Trust) starting manufacture? The tooling will eventually get discarded by our eastern friends, so there may be scope for spares manufacture???? in the long term. BMIH currently manufacture complete bodyshells and associated parts for Brit "classics". The pricing of the parts they are selling through various approved distibutors is very reasonable and good quality.
With the relativley high quantity of 75's being produced this may also help justify manufacture of spares.
Maybe it's time to make BMIH aware before the tooling eventually dissappears forever into the big scrap yard in the sky.

colin d
29th November 2006, 12:48
I'm already concerned at parts availability, these are some of the items that I've found are now unobtainable for a car that is my case is only eighteen months old.

Horns, large cross head screws that secure tourer tail lights, mudflaps, grill badge, and window glass.

In some cases alternative aftermarket parts are available but in others the sole supplier is X-Part. Luckily the glass is damaged not broken but its been on order from X-Part since the end of October and still no indication of availability.

Keith
29th November 2006, 13:00
I'm already concerned at parts availability, these are some of the items that I've found are now unobtainable for a car that is my case is only eighteen months old.

Horns, large cross head screws that secure tourer tail lights, mudflaps, grill badge, and window glass.

Horn is definately available I bought one this week from Brown and Gammons for £4.95 so that I will have lo and Hi Tones on the V8

We are some years away from "classic car" status

Not so, well in a technical sense yes but for insurance purposes Lancaster class any MG as a Classic Car but not the Rover!

My 2004 ZT 260 cost £98 less to insure fully comp on a CC policy than my 75CDT with umpteen years no claims, work that one out!

Lovel
29th November 2006, 15:44

In some cases alternative aftermarket parts are available but in others the sole supplier is X-Part. Luckily the glass is damaged not broken but its been on order from X-Part since the end of October and still no indication of availability.

If there are no signs of the new parts you have on order turning up, and if you really want to replace them ASAP, then why not pay a visit to your Enviromentaly Friendly local breakers, and use enviromentally friendly secondhand parts that have plenty life left in them.

Lovel
29th November 2006, 15:51
Horn is definately available I bought one this week from Brown and Gammons for £4.95 so that I will have lo and Hi Tones on the V8

Not so, well in a technical sense yes but for insurance purposes Lancaster class any MG as a Classic Car but not the Rover!

My 2004 ZT 260 cost £98 less to insure fully comp on a CC policy than my 75CDT with umpteen years no claims, work that one out!
My 2004 ZT 260 cost £98 less to insure fully comp on a CC policy than my 75CDT with umpteen years no claims, work that one out![/QUOTE]

Bait taken.
I pay approx £180 fully comp for a my 2004 75 CDTI Conn SE, so if I assume you are middlle age vintage like me that would mean a premium of some £82??
Do you have a limited mileage policy being a "classic"

Keith
29th November 2006, 16:08
£180 is good

More expensive for me though I have all my no claims invested in the ZTT 190 so paid virtually full whack for me and Swmbo on the CDT and yes I put the 260 on a 5000 mile policy hence the difference

Even so it is weird as I did the same quote for the ZTT 190 in June and it was dearer then!

tourerfogey
29th November 2006, 18:15
Back to the plot and speaking from experience-

I don't think mechanical spares will be a problem.

Some body panels will become a problem as time goes on - yes the Chinese may be building the cars in the future but some panels have already been altered, rear wings for example. However it is also possible that manufacturers like LMC or Hadrian will make pattern panels if there is a market for them.

Trim - both interior and exterior - is likely to become a problem as time goes on as the demand for these items is likely to be relatively small and production will therefore be expensive resulting in a higher unit cost.

Having restored a number of classics in the past I'm not too worried. When I was working for 'Classics' magazine we restored a Rover P4 and managed to get 99% of the parts we needed without trouble - whilst the P4 has a faithful following it isn't that big a following. When I restored my Triumph Spitfire for 'Classics' magazine it would quite easily have been possible to build a new car from spare parts. I think the Rover 75 will fall somewhere inbetween