PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Engine Oil Filter, Spot The Original

Lovel
20th September 2007, 20:21
Just completed a mid service oil change tonight and spotted this difference between filters. Upon close inspection the filter on the left looks to be superior with o-ring seals on the inside. The filter on the right has no such seals and it looks as though it does not seal as effective, especially in the bottom face of the filter bowl housing. Which one is original Rover part. The filter on the right just removed was fitted by an ex MGR dealer.:confused:

Roverron
21st September 2007, 08:35
Just completed a mid service oil change tonight and spotted this difference between filters. Upon close inspection the filter on the left looks to be superior with o-ring seals on the inside. The filter on the left has no such seals and it looks as though it does not seal as effective, especially in the bottom face of the filter bowl housing. Which one is original Rover part. The filter on the right just removed was fitted by an ex MGR dealer.:confused:

Im sure the ones I've fitted (MGR branded) did not have any rubber seals.
Maybe its a BMW one?

Ron

mrbukie
21st September 2007, 12:32
Maybe its a BMW one?

Ron
but the oe mg ones have bmw stamped on the top, and the one on the left does not look like the oe one i have as a spare, which has the seals tucked away in the centre bit!
mrbukie

Lovel
21st September 2007, 19:45
Maybe its a BMW one?

Ron

Bearing in mind that the right hand filter in the picture was fitted by a reputed ex MGR dealer. I would assume that the one on the right hand side of the picture is original MGR stock.
However, I believe that it does not effectively seal around the bottom of
the filter bowl housing and may allow fine debris to circulate throught the engine. Next time you change to the filter just look into the bottom of the bowl and you may see what I mean.
The filter on the left is made by MAHLE and looks to be a far superior fit
and is designed to fit better in the filter bowl unlike the MGR version.

FROGGY
25th October 2007, 18:49
So the genuine MGR service items I have bought (oil filter shown) are a waste of money?

Mick

JohnDotCom
25th October 2007, 23:12
So the genuine MGR service items I have bought (oil filter shown) are a waste of money?

Mick

No, Why? :shrug:

FROGGY
26th October 2007, 08:53
Bearing in mind that the right hand filter in the picture was fitted by a reputed ex MGR dealer. I would assume that the one on the right hand side of the picture is original MGR stock.
However, I believe that it does not effectively seal around the bottom of
the filter bowl housing and may allow fine debris to circulate throught the engine. Next time you change to the filter just look into the bottom of the bowl and you may see what I mean.
The filter on the left is made by MAHLE and looks to be a far superior fit
and is designed to fit better in the filter bowl unlike the MGR version.

Based on this from Lovel.

Mick

EnEnGee
26th October 2007, 09:05
On the earlier oil change services I have done on my car, the filter was obtained from an ex dealer, and whilst in an MGR box was marked BMW on the filter itself. The last oil change I did in the spring was obtained from EMS in Upchurch, Kent and while again in an MGR box, was not marked BMW for what it is worth.

JohnDotCom
26th October 2007, 10:16
Based on this from Lovel.

Mick

Thanks Mick,
Although I always use genuine and have never experienced any problems at all. :lol:

SteveWaller
26th October 2007, 10:26
I bought a FRAM filter the other day and it is the same as the OE one with no rubber seals at the ends. Might look out for a MAHLE one next time as does look a better system. The filter I took out of mine when I first did the first oil change after buying it had the rubber seals so guess that was probably a MAHLE

JohnDotCom
26th October 2007, 10:39
On the earlier oil change services I have done on my car, the filter was obtained from an ex dealer, and whilst in an MGR box was marked BMW on the filter itself. The last oil change I did in the spring was obtained from EMS in Upchurch, Kent and while again in an MGR box, was not marked BMW for what it is worth.

XPart do source from different Companies sometimes.
As it happens its cheaper at BMW but not as cheap as genuine from ECP in Sandy Beds. Brilliant kit prices.

See: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ROVER-75-MGZT-DIESEL-FULL-SERVICE-KIT-GENUINE_W0QQitemZ130167061481QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10 414QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

sylvester
26th October 2007, 12:14
I am just about to do an oil change on my 75 CDTi Tourer, the filter was supplied by Rimmers - it came in an MGR box but is in a sealed plastic bag marked BMW and the filter has BMW printed at one end. There are no obvious seals inside the filter itself.
With respect to draining the sump I can't get under the car and don't have a jack other than the one supplied with the car which I suspect won't raise it high enough to put on my axle stands.
A local garage have said they will drain it for me but their technique is to syphon the old oil out via the dip stick aperture. What do you you think of this anybody - can't help feeling that it won't get rid of all the sludge (if any) as well as leaving the drain plug off for half an hour or so but they say it is common practice in the trade especially as so many cars now have undertrays fitted

andyw
26th October 2007, 17:08
I can't remember who it was but someone on here has already tried this for themselves. They bought their own pump and syphoned the old oil out. They then took the drain plug oout to see what was left behind and the answer was nothing. It really did work

One downside I can see is that if you don't take the undertray off regularly I am sure the securing pins will corrode away and probably be reluctant to let go when you do need to drop the tray. On the other hand it beats rolling around on the floor, especially if you change your oil more frequently than recommended

Kandyman
26th October 2007, 17:46
It was crofts that posted about suction pumps for oil changes.

Read his thread here

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=831&highlight=oil