PDA

View Full Version : Insurance. Are they mad?

GreyGhost
28th October 2006, 17:03
It's that time of year again.
[:rant:]I insure with Tesco, simply because I have for the last 2 years manged to get a good price from them (business cover included). Until this year, renewal premium £ 640.00. Fully comp all the extras full NCD park on the street in London. That was over £ 120.00 more than last year. [/:rant:]

Time for a change.

After going through all the usual online quoting systems who should come out as the best all but one. You've guessed it........... Tesco. £ 445.20
So firstly they try drive me away with an exhorbitant quote, then entice me back with big discounts for online purchase. Not only that but I will also get a further £ 40.00 cash back 8 weeks after purchase.
All in all a saving of £ 234.80. :band: Nearly enough for a weekend in Luxembourg.
I could have saved over £100.00 pounds more by removing, legal cover, car hire and increasing excess. But I couldn't live with that.

It pays to shop around (Tescos) :)

BTW I called the renewal line and asked why the discrepancy, chap said hang on, mumble mumble in the backgound to supervisor. Answer, buy on the web sir, we can't reduce the price. I believe he was a bit peeved as he did not make his commission. Shame. :flog:

Keith
28th October 2006, 21:26
Snap, I posted exactly the same thing last year
I really believe it is a racket the hope is that you don't notice

Mike
28th October 2006, 22:09
I spent years being ripped off by Liverpool Victoria/Frizzell until I cottoned on. Been saving myself more than £350 pa for the last three years by going elsewhere.

Pete
29th October 2006, 15:16
Silly isn't it? I'm with Direct Line after Swinton doubled my premium to £690. When I phoned them I was really struggling to keep my comments polite. I've never had an accident, no blotches on my driving licence and it's parked on a private drive in a nice quiet middle class sort of neighbourhood. She's on a SORN now but still insured against theft, and that cost me £70! On the temporary motor the premium cam down very slightly too. How can an 2.5 Omega be cheaper to insure than a 2.0 75? Ridiculous.

Only trouble is, one of my brothers informed me to watch out for Direct Line ramping up the premium after 12 months as sometimes they'll take a wafer thin margin in order to get the customer and then creep it up year on year, hoping you don't notice. So come May I know I will be pulling my hair out again trying to get a decent quote.

And what will the V8 cost me when I get it?

Keith
29th October 2006, 15:39
Pete as you know I have the v8 bug

At the moment I would transfer my current insurance if I bought one but if circumstances change and we need two permanent day to day cars the v8 would not be going out much.

Then I would insure it with Lancaster as a classic car last quote I did in June was £350 fully comp with zero no claims and up to 5000 miles a year

seems odd a modern MG is classified as a classic but the 75 is not!

GreyGhost
29th October 2006, 15:44
Interesting to know the MG is classed classic, with full NCD it could be very cheap insurance for me. I only do 8000 per year. I could easily cut that to 5K

MGM

Keith
5th November 2006, 10:49
Work this out then!

Just done a quick quote for me at Lancaster £276.69 for ZT 260 and limited mileage policy (5000 miles a year) or £226.04 for 3000 miles a year I could live with that http://forums.xpowerforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

That is less than my renewal quote from Tesco for my CDT this year!

Crazy or what!

GreyGhost
5th November 2006, 10:51
As in my first post Keith, renewal 234.00 more than buying new.

Got a V8 have we then or are you just winding us up?

Keith
5th November 2006, 11:17
Nope not a wind up, should have it by next weekend if all works out as planned.

The 190 will have to go though :( even though it is great to drive and arguably sounds better than the V8, I can't justify keeping them both.

The CDT is definitely staying though.

GreyGhost
5th November 2006, 11:33
Congratulations, another naughty child in the family :)

Commodore
5th November 2006, 11:40
I've yet to insure for a full year on the 75 yet, having only bought it in Auguat. Insurance is due on Jan 2nd so will begin doing quotes next month. Based one some shopping around I did before buying the car, a full year was coming in at around £350 (my current insurer Bell being the cheapest, based on a brand new policy).

Alan
5th November 2006, 11:45
Both Direct Line and Esure have done that to me. The renewal quotation is higher than the one available on the web and they won't budge over the phone so you end up cancelling a long standing account number to take out a new one - then they ask you for proof of no claims bonus from your previous insurer! :rolleyes:

GreyGhost
5th November 2006, 11:46
I've yet to insure for a full year on the 75 yet, having only bought it in Auguat. Insurance is due on Jan 2nd so will begin doing quotes next month. Based one some shopping around I did before buying the car, a full year was coming in at around £350 (my current insurer Bell being the cheapest, based on a brand new policy).

Might be worth looking at the Tesco option, as well as big online discount they are also offering cash back after 8 weeks. For me it is £ 40.00

Commodore
5th November 2006, 11:53
Might be worth looking at the Tesco option, as well as big online discount they are also offering cash back after 8 weeks. For me it is £ 40.00
Will do - but have a feeling it only applies to policies sold by the end of this month - not sure if they will quote for Jan in November.

Cheers
Chris

Raistlin
5th November 2006, 12:07
It must be who you talk to on the day.

I was with Esure when I switched from my Ti to my 75 and there was no problem.

Just renewed with them as well and they bent over backwards to sort out a quote I was happy with.

Keith
5th November 2006, 12:13
Tescos amongst others are doing a little bit of extra profiteering during renewals. They obviously hope you will think the quote is competitive like last year and simply pay up.

When you first buy from them typically the price is about as low as you can get or you have got to the point where you are fed up phoning around

but the following year the renewal price may be somewhat higher

It always, always pays to go on-line to whoever you are with and run through a fresh on-line quote in most cases it will be cheaper than the renewal you received in the post

JP53
5th November 2006, 14:12

I pay £260 a year with direct line, the same as I did for my ZT135+.

Simon W
5th November 2006, 14:37
Nope not a wind up, should have it by next weekend if all works out as planned.

The 190 will have to go though :( even though it is great to drive and arguably sounds better than the V8, I can't justify keeping them both.

The CDT is definitely staying though.

Keith - is that your blue tourer in the pic? I saw one just like it in Stratford-on-Avon last Sunday. It was absolutely beautiful. I don't suppose it was you was it?

NB. Has anyone tried More Than? I found them to be a lot cheaper than anyone else and their comprehensive cover includes a permanently protected NCB. They quoted me £292.40 for my 2.0 litre 75 saloon (inc breakdown cover & car hire).

Keith
5th November 2006, 14:43
Yes they are both mine. The 190 is in Typhoon Blue on a trip to Grimsby last week I saw it's baby sister a ZR in Typhoon as well!

Simon W
5th November 2006, 15:29
Yes they are both mine. The 190 is in Typhoon Blue on a trip to Grimsby last week I saw it's baby sister a ZR in Typhoon as well!

Your 190 looks stunning Keith. If I was you I don't think I'd be able to sell it.

Commodore
5th November 2006, 15:53
I pay £260 a year with direct line, the same as I did for my ZT135+.
Hi John

That is an excellent price, however I had numerous bad experiences the last time I was with Direct Line (And the same with More Than) when claims needed to be made, and so I now won't touch either with a 50-foot barge pole.

Mind you, I did just move the breakdown cover to Green Flag, which is owned by Direct Line, so maybe they are due for a second chance.

Chris

JP53
5th November 2006, 16:19
Hi John

That is an excellent price, however I had numerous bad experiences the last time I was with Direct Line (And the same with More Than) when claims needed to be made, and so I now won't touch either with a 50-foot barge pole.

Mind you, I did just move the breakdown cover to Green Flag, which is owned by Direct Line, so maybe they are due for a second chance.

Chris

They were good when Sue had to claim, but I know what you mean about not trusting a company you have had a bad experience with. At the end of the day you want a company that sorts an accident out properly and with the minimum of fuss. Thats more important than saving a few quid. Have you tried esure they seem reasonable.

GreyGhost
5th November 2006, 16:20
Will do - but have a feeling it only applies to policies sold by the end of this month - not sure if they will quote for Jan in November.

Cheers
Chris

Keep checking back, they have a new offer every month, Had I needed to renew in September it would have cost me £ 50.00 more than October.

colenso13
5th November 2006, 17:17
:lol: when i shopped around 4 quotes on my insurance,i found that the cheapest of all places was the r.a.c.i have full no claims and am 28 but was surprised that the quote was 198.00 fully comp.not many bells and wistles but good cover none the less.kev.

Commodore
5th November 2006, 17:36
:lol: when i shopped around 4 quotes on my insurance,i found that the cheapest of all places was the r.a.c.i have full no claims and am 28 but was surprised that the quote was 198.00 fully comp.not many bells and wistles but good cover none the less.kev.
Now that IS cheap!!! What is your excess though?

I did some shopping around today, still can't beat £365 without losing no claims protection and taking on an insane excess.

Z135T
5th November 2006, 21:05
Interesting to know the MG is classed classic

MGM

whats all this about modern MG's being classed a classic? have I been in a coma and woken up in the future.

Simon W
5th November 2006, 21:21
whats all this about modern MG's being classed a classic? have I been in a coma and woken up in the future.

Basically, yes! World War 3 has come and gone, and eBay runs the planet now.

Keith
5th November 2006, 21:32
Ebay inc in charge! what a horrible thought!

Yes on the Lancaster site all MGs qualify for the classic insurance policy
No Rovers though very odd but worth knowing

I also had a play with the pay as you drive policy quote system from NU came out at over £700 so not for me that type of policy

JP53
6th November 2006, 06:05
Ebay inc in charge! what a horrible thought!

Yes on the Lancaster site all MGs qualify for the classic insurance policy
No Rovers though very odd but worth knowing

I also had a play with the pay as you drive policy quote system from NU came out at over £700 so not for me that type of policy

£700 Keith is that pay how you drive? :D ;)

TaiChiMan
7th November 2006, 15:34
Oh no I am now officiallly an old *** ! :(

Got my renewal for 2004 contemporary tourer from Churchill £404, started searching round and quotes ranged from £196 up to £396.

This is for 8000 miles a year with 9yrs no claims, protected no claims, 2 named drivers, business use for me and SWMBO, £250 excess, legal protection etc.

Guess who the £196 was from ......... yes.......SAGA :eek: but its better cover at less than half the price of Churchill

fetch me my pipe and slippers

Jim

Neil Coupland
7th November 2006, 16:18
Oh no I am now officiallly an old *** ! :(

Got my renewal for 2004 contemporary tourer from Churchill £404, started searching round and quotes ranged from £196 up to £396.

This is for 8000 miles a year with 9yrs no claims, protected no claims, 2 named drivers, business use for me and SWMBO, £250 excess, legal protection etc.

Guess who the £196 was from ......... yes.......SAGA :eek: but its better cover at less than half the price of Churchill

fetch me my pipe and slippers

Jim

Ye Gods, I never thought that I would look forward to growing old!:laughing2:

Commodore
7th November 2006, 18:18
Guess who the £196 was from ......... yes.......SAGA :eek:

Hey - don't knock it! i WISH I could get a quote from Saga, but given their minimum age requirements, I may as well be a joyriding chav.

Chris - 20 years and one month too young for Saga!

Trowby65
7th November 2006, 22:59
Shopping around is definitely the way to save money. Problem I've had is in verifying my no claims. I've got something like 11 years but often when you get your renewal notice, to use as proof of no claims with a new insurer, they will only quote the maximum number of years they give discount for.

Some would only ask for proof in the event of a claim so the picture gets jumbled over the years.

Alex30013k
8th November 2006, 04:51
Well I have stayed with Tescos for the last 3 years due to that I could not afford to move because the first payment was around £300.

But now I am getting older (21) my insurance is getting cheaper and I think this year I will be able to brake free.

This year I am paying £111 a month so the first month’s instalment can’t be much over £200,

Let you know in March.

Commodore
8th November 2006, 08:43
This year I am paying £111 a month so the first month’s instalment can’t be much over £200, Let you know in March.
Either way you should be shopping around if you aree paying over £1200 a year - even at your age I'm sure there are better quotes to be had - I was paying less than that on a brand new 4.6 litre S-Type Jag at age 22.