PDA

View Full Version : Recent Service - brakes done - tyres moved

Aga
21st September 2007, 16:20
Hi Y'all
Had a service done last week and had the brakes done. Noticed that the wheels that were on the back are now on the front & vice versa.
The car is also pulling to the left now!
Would this movement of wheels alter the settings following my 4 wheel laser alignment carried out in April?
The reason why I know the wheels are swapped is because I had Khumos on the rear and Contis on the front before & now they are the other way around!
What do you reckon?

JohnDotCom
21st September 2007, 17:28
The wheel balancing (and tracking) can make a big difference, more so if done on car.
I always have mine balanced on Car much more accurate in my opinion.
Shame I have to use a BMW dealer to get it done though.
With wheels, They should be put back where they came from!

Greeners
21st September 2007, 18:48
Hi Y'all
Had a service done last week and had the brakes done. Noticed that the wheels that were on the back are now on the front & vice versa.
The car is also pulling to the left now!
Would this movement of wheels alter the settings following my 4 wheel laser alignment carried out in April?
The reason why I know the wheels are swapped is because I had Khumos on the rear and Contis on the front before & now they are the other way around!
What do you reckon?
That's very old fashioned service doing things like that...........It was always recommended so that the tyres wore evenly and you replaced them in sets of 4 not 2.

But that does go back to 6month / 6000 mile service days...

DavidJ
21st September 2007, 19:46
My ZT still wears the rears unevenly despite 4 wheel laser alignment. I rotate my tyres every service, front to rear then diagonally front to rear (then replace :frown:. If your tyres were previously worn unevenly on the rear I could see this causing some drift when fitted to the front wheels. Don't forget road camber will always affect your cars straight ahead ability (typically a slight pull to the left).

Cuda-uk
21st September 2007, 20:25
You should never swop tyres from one side of the to the other when using radial tyres as this will change the rotation of the tyre and the differing loads will cause the carcus to unwind which intern will cause the tyre to fail..( you can if you dismount the tyre and swap its direction of travel)
During a service you may find that your tyres are moved from front to rear this will be to get the best tyres onto the rear of the car the proven best place for them.

One of the reasons your car may now drift one way or the other will be down to some old tyre wear or that they have been swopped from one side to another or maybe incorrect tyre pressures, It should make no difference to the way your car was aligned as that is a physical adjustment of your suspension and steering.

JohnDotCom
21st September 2007, 20:28
Can't swap mime around they are all directional, even the spare!!
That causes all sorts of problems. :D

Aga
22nd September 2007, 09:38
The tyres are on the right side (so the directional nature is not a problem). It's just that they have but the front ones on the back & vice versa.
The newer tyres WERE on the rear (as we all know this is the right way), but now the newer ones are on the front!!!
The reason for the two newer ones being different (your comments regarding uneven wear) is that I had two punctures within 3 weeks of getting new Contis all round. I went for replacement Khumos on recommendation as they saved me £50 a corner!

GreyGhost
22nd September 2007, 10:38
Put them back where they were and see how it feels. I would be well against rotating tyres even if they are not directional.

JohnDotCom
22nd September 2007, 12:50
I quite agree with you GG,
I thought that went out donkeys years ago. :D

tigerchubs
22nd September 2007, 16:20
Always keep the best tyres on the rear, all tyre manufacturers now give that advice. As for swapping side to side I have not heard of a tyre failing due to rotating in the opposite direction. I inspect faulty tyres as part of my job and on road cars they mostly fail from overheating, due to missuse, overloading or under inflation.

I Would advise putting the tyre back as before as soon as possible.