PDA

View Full Version : Shannon tube type and engine noise?

Bolin
19th November 2011, 17:43
Hi all

I've read that the original shannon tube was made from the cotton stuff and was porous to reduce noise.

Has anybody noticed any difference in engine noise between an intact OEM shannon tube, an aluminium shannon and a silicone shannon?

Just wondering!

Bolin.

steveo
19th November 2011, 17:53
Hi
I changed mine for a Ford Transit rubber air intake hose
Works a treat and much easier to change the head light bulb on the near side
Regards
Steveo

Singvogel
19th November 2011, 18:41
Silicon air ducting from eBay plus an aluminium inlet ram pipe end..

Looks great - no noise - sorted. :D

T-Cut
19th November 2011, 19:50
- - - an intact OEM Shannon tube - - -

That's expecting a bit too much I reckon.

TC

Bolin
20th November 2011, 11:32
That's expecting a bit too much I reckon.

TC

Ha, yes, I've only seen an intact one when for sale as brand new - and of course most people fit a cheaper and better type.

I had asked the question because of something I read in one of your old posts, but as people haven't been complaining about noisy new shannon tubes I suspect that there isn't much noticeable difference.

T-Cut
20th November 2011, 13:52
but as people haven't been complaining about noisy new shannon tubes I suspect that there isn't much noticeable difference.

This is what Shannon themselves say about their ducts: http://www.shannon.co.uk/noise-reduction.htm

TC

Bolin
20th November 2011, 16:11
Thanks for the link - interesting stuff although I admit that some of the detail is a bit beyond me!:o

chris75
20th November 2011, 16:30
I never noticed any difference in noise between the old knackered one and a replacement :getmecoat:

Bolin
21st November 2011, 11:37
Same here, no difference noticed between completely missing shannon and new aluminium one....... although the (inlet manifold?) rattle would probably drown out any difference if there is any at all.:o