PDA

View Full Version : Ecu Fuel Control?

Rover 75 Man
21st November 2011, 11:00
Hi guy's I have been asked a question which I dont have a clue about one of my friend's is struggling with his 75 Cdt. This is what he asked me:

Hi John I am looking for the ECU with the Fuel control which I am told sits on top of the ECU unit, I dont have a clue what the part looks like but the mechanic who is trying to repair my car said this is the parts I need, apparently my car is not delivering the fuel, I have already replaced the fuel pump under the bonnet, but it is not getting a feed, even when it is the car still wont go. It does tend to start on occasion, we are stumped.

Does this exist or is the problem he is referring to a totally different issue?

I would appreciate your help guys

chrissyboy
21st November 2011, 11:21
Hi guy's I have been asked a question which I dont have a clue about one of my friend's is struggling with his 75 Cdt. This is what he asked me:

Hi John I am looking for the ECU with the Fuel control which I am told sits on top of the ECU unit, I dont have a clue what the part looks like but the mechanic who is trying to repair my car said this is the parts I need, apparently my car is not delivering the fuel, I have already replaced the fuel pump under the bonnet, but it is not getting a feed, even when it is the car still wont go. It does tend to start on occasion, we are stumped.

the only thing i can think of is the glow plug module/relay that is in that area .futher forward is the fuel pressure sensor

COLVERT
21st November 2011, 12:28

We need a bit more accurate info. to diagnose anything.

The ECU itself controls the fuel supply to the injectors by way of the high pressure pump.

When you get it started does it continue to run by itself until you switch it off ??

Does it start up immediately on Easy Start ??

Can you hear both fuel pumps running ??

If you don't try to start the engine but just switch the ignition on then both tank and underbonnet pumps will run for about 30 seconds before switching themselves off.

Colvert.

Rover 75 Man
21st November 2011, 13:18
the only thing i can think of is the glow plug module/relay that is in that area .futher forward is the fuel pressure sensor

He said it keeps cutting out......

Rover 75 Man
21st November 2011, 13:34

The ECU itself controls the fuel supply to the injectors by way of the high pressure pump.

When you get it started does it continue to run by itself until you switch it off ??

If you don't try to start the engine but just switch the ignition on then both tank and underbonnet pumps will run for about 30 seconds before switching themselves off.

Colvert.

Will get back to you as soon as I have spoke to him......

Thanks

chrissyboy
21st November 2011, 13:37
He said it keeps cutting out......

then its a fuel pressure problem then ,either the pump is weak or the the pressure sensor is giving the wrong signal so ecm dont allow enough fuel,as colvert said listen for the pumps running although this alone does not mean the pumps or working fine .

Mike Noc
21st November 2011, 15:13
If the low pressure side checks out then do a leakback test - you may have one or more failing injectors.

Mike

Rover 75 Man
21st November 2011, 17:53
then its a fuel pressure problem then ,either the pump is weak or the the pressure sensor is giving the wrong signal so ecm dont allow enough fuel,as colvert said listen for the pumps running although this alone does not mean the pumps or working fine .

This is his response to me:

I have had the car for about 7 months, this problem just arose suddenly, bought a new diesel pump (under Bonnet pump) thinking this would cure the problem but no feed to the pump, tried direct feed to the fuel pump but still will not start, got an auto electrician out he connected his hand held gizmo an OBD2 compliant, but no reading in communicating with car, he said it needed to be read with an OBD1 reader, car was in the garage, mechanic says it is a mystery, he tried reading it with his handheld OBD1 Gizmo still no communication with car. The car will start on occasion but it is becoming quite rare, when it is going it will run and drive all day long with no problems until of course you switch of the ignition, it will either start again or it wont and you are back to hours or days of fiddling about with it. Took of the battery one time as I had flattened it trying to get the car to start, put it back on after a full recharge and called the garage, they came up to tow it away but believe it or not the damn thing made a liar of me and started first time. Neither of the pumps can be heard as I dont think they are getting any power. If I just switch on the ignition there is no fuel pump activity whatsoever. Yes and it does seem to have happened as it has got colder but I dont know If that is just coincidence.

Thanks

Rover 75 Man
21st November 2011, 18:00

Colvert.

COLVERT I have now added the information he told me to this thread

Thanks

Mike Noc
21st November 2011, 19:14
You can check the relay for the fuel pumps to make sure it is getting a signal to turn them on and if so its a faulty relay. Also check the wiring to the relay but if that's OK then get it plugged into a T4 for a full diagnostic check.

If the fuel pumps are running, but it sometimes fails to start then a failing cam sensor is a common cause. If you turn the key but don't start the engine the fuel pumps will shut off after about 30 seconds anyway.

Mike

Rover 75 Man
21st November 2011, 19:23
You can check the relay for the fuel pumps to make sure it is getting a signal to turn them on and if so its a faulty relay. Also check the wiring to the relay but if that's OK then get it plugged into a T4 for a full diagnostic check.

If the fuel pumps are running, but it sometimes fails to start then a failing cam sensor is a common cause. If you turn the key but don't start the engine the fuel pumps will shut off after about 30 seconds anyway.

Mike

Which relay is that? Are we talking about the heater plug relay located by the ecu in the ecu housing?

Thanks

kissifer1972
21st November 2011, 19:32
The fuel pump relay is in the fusebox under the glovebox, not sure which one it is though.

Has your friend checked there is no water in the plenums? Sounds like a wet ECU to me

Rover 75 Man
21st November 2011, 19:42
The fuel pump relay is in the fusebox under the glovebox, not sure which one it is though.

Has your friend checked there is no water in the plenums? Sounds like a wet ECU to me

That's what I thought?

Mike Noc
21st November 2011, 19:46

Good call Chris if it hasn't been checked already. Think the fuel pump relay is number 5 in the cabin fusebox.

Mike

chrissyboy
21st November 2011, 20:22
Good call Chris if it hasn't been checked already. Think the fuel pump relay is number 5 in the cabin fusebox.

Mike

yes the fuel pump relay is indeed number 5 in cabin fuse box .

Rover 75 Man
21st November 2011, 21:26

Mike

Thank you:}

Rover 75 Man
21st November 2011, 21:27
yes the fuel pump relay is indeed number 5 in cabin fuse box .

Thank You :}

simpsora
21st November 2011, 22:20
Took of the battery one time as I had flattened it trying to get the car to start, put it back on after a full recharge and called the garage, they came up to tow it away but believe it or not the damn thing made a liar of me and started first time.

Thanks

Hi, the 75 needs a good battery to spin it over fast enough to build up fuel pressure. How old is the battery and injectors? A good place to start is with French mikes advice --

Rover 75 Man
23rd November 2011, 16:49
Hi guys just an update for every one it was the ecu and heater plug relay both soaked wet....... Now sorted thanks for all of your advice

Rover 75 Man:D:cool:;):}:)

COLVERT
23rd November 2011, 17:01
Hi guys just an update for every one it was the ecu and heater plug relay both soaked wet....... Now sorted thanks for all of your advice

Rover 75 Man:D:cool:;):}:)

I guess most of us assume that the plenum chamber has been checked for water as it is usually the main cause of non starting. I guess this assumption was why nobody mentioned it at the start. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Glad you have it going now and don't forget that plenum check from time to time. :getmecoat:

Colvert. :D:D:D

Rover 75 Man
23rd November 2011, 19:08
I guess most of us assume that the plenum chamber has been checked for water as it is usually the main cause of non starting. I guess this assumption was why nobody mentioned it at the start. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Glad you have it going now and don't forget that plenum check from time to time. :getmecoat:

Colvert. :D:D:D

I wont and Thanks once again:D